1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

1500 or 2500

Discussion in 'Trucks, Trailers, & RV's' started by lenb, Jul 8, 2016.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Bigdeer2000

Bigdeer2000 Todd SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2017 Polaris General 4, Kubota 1100x, 1968 m274 military mule

i currently have a 2017 GMC 1500 with 6.2. I drove 2500 diesels until I traded a 2007 in on 1500 5.3 in 09. 2500 diesels were 10,000 more and fuel was .50 higher a gallon than gas in 09. Also fuel economy dropped from 19.8 mpg ave over 132,000 miles on my 04 2500 to 16.2 ave over 120,000 miles in 07. Try to trade when they get around 130,000 miles, usually around 2 1/2 years. Right at 10,000 miles on new GMC with 19.9 ave mpg so far. The 5.3 1500's were all around 19.5 ave over 130,000 or so miles. heaviest thing I pull is skid steer and don't move it much. I think having the right trailer and balancing load makes a big difference in tow comfort

DieselFume likes this.
  2. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, 3 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All doomed for hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

The half tons of today will almost out payload and will outpull the 3/4 tons of 20 years ago.

It's amazing what they are capeable of. Really only leaves 3/4 and 1 tons for pulling large 5th wheels, goosnecks, or service bodies. aside from that, really no practical reason for them over a 1/2 ton.

I'd stay with the GM platfom myself, but I'm a GM guy. The aluminum bed on the newer fords doesn't impress me. Just get on you tube!

3. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

Polaris General
    Polaris Ranger

There is pros and cons with both. I have a 05 2500hd with the 6.0 gas is all I need but mpg is not great didn't really need a Diesel. Food for thought see a lot of the 1/2 ton stuff ford or chevy with engine troubles starting around 80000+ the variable valve timing and cylinder shut off stuff. All this mpg regulations and use of plastics and lighter components are hurting durability Gas or Diesel.

4. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

The week link in a chevy 1/2 ton is the 4L-60E trans, if your pulling anything and I mean anything it's a must to drop it out of OD, so there goes the mileage. I'm a diesel guy but do have a 1/2 ton gentleman's truck with a 350 gasser and while pulling 2tons smoked the trans, work truck is a heavy 3/4 not because of what I pull but what I have in the back, fuel tank and tools. I'll probably buy another diesel, not sure why, the longevity is pretty close these days maybe get another 80,000 or so but the body's are not lasting plus the price of fuel is higher.....unless you run something else....

5. Ken

Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2013 Ranger XP 900 Sunset Red LE. 2009 Ranger 700 XP Sunset Red

I just bought a 2017 Ford Lariat Super Duty, Crew, 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel 4X4! Love that truck. Traded off a 2011 F150 Lariat crew with the 6.2 V8. One of the best pickups I have owned. I just fell in love with the new 2017 Super Duty and wanted another diesel! 440 HP and 925 foot pounds of torque pulls my 25 ft toy hauler like it is a cotton ball! :)

6. b75matt

b75matt SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2016 Yamaha Viking VI Ranch Edition

Thanks for all the input guys. Now to start the shopping process....

7. vividjeremy

vividjeremy Jeremy Supporting Vendor

Side X Side(s):

2015 Arctic Cat Wildcat 4x 1000

I pulled 10k with my 2013 Tundra Crew Max

8. slpybeartx

slpybeartx SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2014 Polaris Ranger 900XP LE

I just traded in my 2012 F250 6.7L Diesel for a 2017 F150 4x4 with the 5.0 Coyote V8. I loved having my Diesel when we had a camper, but we sold it a few years ago with the intention of buying another and never did. The most Ive hauled with that Diesel in the last few years is 3K lb one every few months. Other than that it has just been a daily driver to work, so it was a lot of overkill.

The exhaust fluid pump broke on it a couple of months ago. Even though my Exhaust emissions warranty was still good, Ford dealer and Corporate would not repair under warranty. Cost me a pretty penny to repair.

After we got home it decision time; keep the diesel, buy a new set of tires for it, and buy an emissions delete kit ($1200) or trade it in on 1/2 ton. The trade in offer from a new Ford dealership was ridiculous. So I have a new F150 Lariat.

I've owned several of both 1/2 gassers or 3/4 Diesels. I said earlier in this thread if I routinely pulled in excess of 5K lb I would lean toward a 3/4 diesel. I still stand by that, but caveat emptor on the new diesel emission systems.

Seastacker likes this.
  9. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI Mid-Size

Since this thread started I got my new rig. 2017 f-350 lariat. It has been great. The new 6.7 Power Stroke is a monster. I took the toy hauler over the scales at well over 9000 pounds. Aside from the weight which is not crazy by any means, the other big factors are just the shear profile of a big trailer like this. The height and width can make it a handful going down the road on a breezy day. Can't imagine towing this with a 1/2 ton even though some are technically rated to pull it.
    IMG_2890.JPG
    IMG_3162.JPG

Ken and Piston Honda like this.
  10. Ken

Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2013 Ranger XP 900 Sunset Red LE. 2009 Ranger 700 XP Sunset Red

Beautiful Truck! That 2017 Model is the nicest truck out there. Love my 2017 F250 Lariat Diesel! New F250 Lariet.jpg 3.jpg New Ford F250.jpg New Ford F250.jpg New F250 Lariet.jpg 3.jpg

Seastacker and Piston Honda like this.
  11. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Seth Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500

I was pricing trucks online last night and the F250 diesel wasn't much more than an F150. 48K compared to 43K. The next truck I buy will probably be the F250 diesel.

Seastacker likes this.
  12. Rockin Ronnie

Side X Side(s):

Polaris General
    Polaris Ranger

now if they can make the diesel as good as the old 7.3 our new 6.7 in the F550 is not real impressive My wrecker has the 6.0 and after the rebuild and delete everything it really is a monster best running truck we have next to the 475 thousand mile and still going strong DURAMAX with stock injectors!

DieselFume and Seastacker like this.
  13. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

Loved my old 7.3, but there is no comparison to this truck.
    They de tuned the 6.7 in the bigger hd trucks and chasis cabs... no clue why. Maybe for longevity in a commercial application? The 6.0 can be ok with a lot of work. I'm sorta glad I skipped the 6.0/ 6.4 era of Ford diesels.

14. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

Ken likes this.
  15. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, 3 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All doomed for hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Not that I'm a ford guy, But the 6.0s weren't bad engines once you fixed the oil cooler and another thing or two. Ford really fumbled with that engine and the 6.4 was practically a throw away engine.

The 6.7 is a good one I think, but I don't think we will ever see the reliability from any of these newer diesels vs the old 5.9/7.3/6.6 pre emission engines.

Not to mention that parts and service are stupid high. I would never buy any new diesel. not unless you were going to delete right away, which will lose you all the warranty. It's a lose lose. especially on something you have to make payments on. I'm not just talking about Ford, I'm saying the big 3 in general.

Rockin Ronnie likes this.
  16. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

I decided in 1988 it would be the last new work truck I ever bought when the price of a basic 3/4 2wd hit $10,000. although in 96 I did buy a new 1/2 ton gentleman's truck and believe it cost me $26,000 and still have it. I just can't justify spending 40+, throw a 100gal fuel tank and assorted tools of the trade in it and drive down shi#$y gravel roads to the job sites. Somewhere along the line the big three seen they could make more money selling to Joe city slicker to pull his camper or to just look cool and left the working class tucks out in the cold.

17. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

That's pretty much it Larry.

When trucks starting being "fashionable" they also became more expensive and loaded with extras that do nothing but bring up the cost, and drive down reliably. A local guy that runs a livestock yard near us runs all ford powerstrokes (newer). Has over 1/2 million invested in them. Said the other day to my dad when he saw our 1997 IH toter truck that he was seriously considering getting rid of all the pickups, buy a couple toter trucks to pull the trailers, and a few honda pilots for all the commuting. There isn't anyone I know that uses these trucks to make a living with that is happy with the cost, value or reliability of anything made in the last 10 years... Worst part is once you've got one, you're trapped, because when the warranty runs out, you're forced to trade because you cant afford to own them once the warranty expires.

Not like the diesels from 15 years ago.

If chevy still sold the 8.1 Gasser (502 big block) I would guess that it would outsell, or sell as many as their diesel line... and would take a sizable chunk from the other two diesel mfgs as well. People just don't want to put up with the trouble anymore .

18. Rockin Ronnie

Side X Side(s):

Polaris General
    Polaris Ranger

A-Men! with all the gov. regulations and need for miles to the gallon crap they are adding 8 speed and better to the tans so they have more wear itams and more and more plastics and lite weight engine parts to meet the gov. standards and we the consumer is the one paying the price. sad when a truck body starts rusting before you get it paid off and fords better idea aluminum. Yea that's great may not rust but sure does corrode! and the cost to repair about double so were is it better? Oh wait this is a side by side Forum what about all that plastic. LOL!

DieselFume likes this.
  19. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

Like my brother said the other day when he was looking at the International truck we bought- " The thing I like best about this truck is when you shut the doors you know it's made out of steel!" Just something about it when you get into it you know you just stepped up a caliber in terms of pecking order on the road. Steel vs aluminum and plastic...

We're not at a dead end road yet on these new vehicles, but we can see it from here.

My good buddy who's the lead GM tech at our local shop had the cab lifted off the chassis of a 16 duramax to replace a turbocharger.. Truck had 30K miles on it. Said it was faster to lift the cab than it was to pull the transmission and get at it that way (suggested by GM). Customer came in and saw the cab off the truck and traded it in on a 17 duramax...... Both trucks were over 70K new....... and the cycle continues.

And people wonder why America has a debt problem.

20. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

That's a load of miles on your duramax! Must be an 05? heard they were some of the best on injector life? Although I think I have one going down on ours.