1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

1WD, 2WD and 4WD

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by mkp777, Jan 1, 2020.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. mkp777

mkp777 Mike SXS Nation Regular

Here are some parochial questions about the drive system of the General.

In 1WD, does this mean only one wheel is getting power? Does it transfer from 1 rear wheel to the other rear wheel like an open differential does on an average rear wheel drive car?
    Or is it just one of the wheels all the time?

In 2WD and 4WD, are the axles 'locked' together? Hence the warning to never drive on dry pavement with 2WD and 4WD?

I was also advised to never switch from 2WD, 4WD or 1WD while moving.
    There was one time when I was driving down a hill in 1WD and attempted to do a sort of 3 point turn and head back up the hill. When reversing I backed one of the wheels into a dip that I hadn't seen and it caused one of the front wheels to lift off the ground. When I tried going the other way, it spun the tire, so I switched into 4WD (after the engine was at idle and I was on the brake). I was able to get out of the dip but now noticed an odd, almost grindy sound.
    So I stopped, went back to 1WD and tried driving and it still made the sound. So I stopped, shut off the motor and put it in park and started inspecting for anything visually obvious.
    After finding nothing that stood out, I started the engine and drove in 1WD and the sound was gone. So I stopped, switched to 4WD and then drove again and the sound was still gone. All seemed fine.
    I'm thinking something was stuck half way due to the switch to 4WD with one wheel off the ground?
    Any thoughts?

Just trying to learn more from the experienced folks on the forum,

Thanks,

M

2. jefflac02

jefflac02 Jeffrey SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2015 Ranger XP900

You are correct on all accounts. Turf mode is an open differential like that on a car. Power transfers to the wheel that needs it if it slips. 2wd is locked and 4wd is on demand only when needed.

Personal experience I can tell you it’s a bad idea to travel on gravel in 2wd at a high rate of speed. Not sure how the rzr drivers can keep it under control at high rates. My ranger gets a little tail wag If I get too heavy on the throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. mkp777

Is it bad mechanically to do 2WD on gravel? Or just that it seems like it can get away from the driver more easily?

Thanks,

M

4. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

My machine has 2wd (locked) and 4wd std which has a diff in the front so it really is 3wheel drive then a diff lock which locks all 4 wheels to all drive at same time. Never had an issue driving on gravel or pavement. When cornering one back wheel will loose traction but never has it caused a problem.

5. jefflac02

jefflac02 Jeffrey SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2015 Ranger XP900

Just more likely to fishtail. And I tend to have a lead foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

I wouldnt call that a problem....I would call that fun !!!!

7. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

You can shift between whenever you need to. The ECU limits shifts to under a certain RPM (around 3000 or so). Remember, the front diff when engaged is purely electrical (activating the front armature/ magnet). That system is 100% mechanical otherwise as it will only engage after there is some level of spin in the rear (the slight gear ratio difference between the two allows this). When trail riding I run in 4x4 most of the time. In effect this is 2 wheel drive unless the back wheels spin which allows me a good turning radius and traction when I need it.

RWB713 likes this.
  8. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

I really like and enjoy pounding the accelerator on gravel road and drifting thru turns and curves. Mostly drive in 1 wheel mode on mostly level ground. when it starts to get loose ground or hilly go into 2 wheel mode. If the ground is rough, deep sand or steep I use 4x4 mode.

9. mkp777

When I bought it, I was warned to never try doing donuts, I haven't tried that.
    But I have drifted corners on loose surfaces.

Why are donuts bad?

10. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

No idea, I do donuts on mine frequently..but I do them on loose material like dirt, gravel or ice and snow. I could see donuts being quite hard on the diffs if your doing them on pavement.

11. Michael Block

Michael Block Michael SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2016 Odes Dominator 800
    1990 Honda Forman 400

I wish I could unlock my rear diff, my rear is posey, all the time, not so great turning on hard surfaces or lawns.. At times I need low lock, now that’s a trip, without power steering, almost broke my hand when I hit a hole. For the most part I love my machine it has treated me well. It does shitnget.