1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

2008 RZR 800 engine project

Discussion in 'RZR Nation' started by antwz1, Apr 8, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. antwz1

antwz1 Anthony SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2008 RZR 800

First post here. I recently picked up a 2008 rzr 800 (my first rzr) "project" that needed an engine rebuild. Previous owner said he was idling and then started to get a knock, so he shut it down and took it to the shop to let them diagnose. They tore the engine apart and determined it was a bad rod bearing and I guess when they told him how much to fix he said "no, thanks....I will come and pick it up" in which when he got there they gave him the engine back in boxes. He ended up going and getting a new machine and decided to sell the broken one. Now here I am with a rzr and 800 engine in a box. Spent quite a bit of time reading and learning things here including all the great info in dieselfume's prv thread. So I started cleaning things up and as I was working on the top case I noticed a bunch of cracks in the case. I am assuming these are not good and now I should start shopping for a case or whole engine but wanted to come here and see if anyone has seen this before and could confirm that this case shouldn't be used for the rebuild. I tried to do some searching on the case cracks but didn't have much luck. I don't see any cracks or signs of damage on the outside of the case, so wanted to check and see if anyone could offer advice on whether to use this case or start looking for another.

IMG_2318.jpg

2. Curt

Curt Administrator

I can't say for sure, but those look like they could be casting marks which would be no big deal.

3. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I agree w/ Curt. Its hard to tell from pictures, but Polaris is not known for having the smoothest castings. I was surprised coming from other power sports stuff (Honda, Yamaha, etc) because their castings tend to be pretty clean.

4. antwz1

Side X Side(s):

2008 RZR 800

Okay, thanks for the responses...really appreciate it.

Curt likes this.
  5. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

I concur Captain. That looks like polaris casting lines to me. All their stuff looks like it had spider webs in the cast molds before they pour them!

I wouldn't worry about that at all!

One suggestion since this 800 spun a rod, most likely from an oil pressure issue- If it were me, I'd inspect the oil pressure relieve valve closely. See if the dowel is stuck, and if it runs smooth up and down the bore. If it doesn't then I'd see what you can do to smooth the area, and replace the dowel... It doesn't get easier then when it's apart!

6. antwz1

Side X Side(s):

2008 RZR 800

Thanks Dieselfume.....I learned a bunch from your thread on the PRV, in fact it was the first thing I looked for when I first began to assess the damage and sure enough the bushing was stuck and likely the cause of the issue.

7. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

No problem, best of luck with your rebuild, It'll be a nice unit if you can get that 800 back together!

8. antwz1

Side X Side(s):

2008 RZR 800

Just wanted to post an update and say thanks to everyone and all the information on the forum. I got the 800 put back together last month and its running great!

Rockin Ronnie and Seastacker like this.
  9. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Thanks for the update, great to hear!