1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

2011 Ranger 500 EFI - brakes

Discussion in 'Ranger Nation' started by alyaz, Mar 14, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. alyaz

alyaz Al SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2011 Polaris Ranger 500EFI

Morning. Since I will be waiting for my new secondary with the vehicle down, and that I had better be a bit more astute with being on top of maintenance, I thought I would ask some ‘brake replacement’ questions...

My pads appear to be getting down, but nothing to panic about but I am fine putting new pads on now. The discs do not seem to be excessively grooved etc. I am not having any braking issues, ie: obviously stuck callipers, heat, squealing, vibration, etc.

So has your experience been that ‘usually’ pads are the typical needed parts? Or is it super common to have stuck, excessively worn callipers etc?

Anything I should be looking for to make that determination before ordering parts? I will likely order after-market, but am open to Polaris $$$ parts if you guys think that is the way to go.

And can the discs (if not severely worn) be hand sanded with fine emery cloth etc?

I will hit the Youtubes next but thought I would ask for advice here. Thanks.

2. Curt

Curt Administrator

While you have the wheels off I’d get a bearing greaser and hit them wheel bearings.

alyaz likes this.
  3. alyaz

Side X Side(s):

Copy. Will look into that. Thanks.

4. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Boy, brakes are one thing I've really not every had much issue with. (never use them) :eek:. Usually when I have a brake pad go bad it's because a wheel bearing went out and the wheel hub started running crooked and wore the pad out.

If you compare them to new, there's not much on them for material to begin with. So if they still have some pad on them left, I'd probably run them. Thinking the new pad area is only a little less than 1/4" to begin with, so if you still have 1/8th left, that might mean you have several thousand miles to go. If buying new I'd look at aftermarket. Polaris's pads are high. I'd maybe check out something from a reputable source like EPI to see what they offer if you decide you need some. Never seen the rotors be an issue.. They may groove a little bit, but I've never done anything to a polaris rotor. Never seen one warp or cause brake pad failures. I just wouldn't worry about them.

The bearing greaser is a good idea , but requires removing all the hubs, and CV's to get the greaser in place. For me I think if I was going to all that trouble I'd just put in new wheel bearings for as cheap as they are.

How many miles are on your Ranger Al?

alyaz likes this.
  5. alyaz

Side X Side(s):

Thanks Adam. I will have to look at how many miles are on it, but I know there are 700 hours on it. Yes, I don’t tend to drive it hard and would be surprised if the brakes really needed replacing, but that whole clutch situation has me a bit freaked out at how stupid I am for not being on top of the maintenance better. I actually ordered pads for all four corners and bearing greasers (needed one for the front and one for the rear) today on Amazon.ca Prices were reasonable. Got the new pads and greasers for under $150. These greasers apparently only require you you to pop the callipers and the axle nut. So if that is really the case, I can probably handle that without destroying the Ranger... hehe...

P.S. you Mods do a great job here! Thanks!

Curt and DieselFume like this.
  6. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I never did do brakes on my Ranger. Like Adam, I rarely used them! When I did do power sports brakes on other occasions I would do new pads (as you are already doing), then I would put a fine roll-lock scotch brite disc on my air angle grinding tool and lightly scuff both sides of the disc. Not to take any material off, just to knock any glaze or corrosion off. If the discs were badly grooved out, I would replace them. While the calipers are off, grease up those slide pins! I had one lock up on one of my old Honda ATV's. It was in there so bad I had to replace the caliper!

PS...Be sure to use the proper brake pad/ pin grease they sell at any auto parts store.

DieselFume and alyaz like this.
  7. alyaz

Side X Side(s):

Thanks. I confirmed with the company about the pads before I ordered them and do have a tube of pin/slider grease here. Thanks for the scotch brite tip too.

8. alyaz

Side X Side(s):

Just thought I would check in. My ‘greasers,’ and brake pads came across on the water taxi today. My secondary clutch arrived in Comox today and a courier is going to drop it off in Lund on Wednesday morning. So hopefully I can pick that up Wednesday afternoon. If everything goes as planned, hopefully I can have the Ranger up and running for a planned town trip on Friday :) haha, fingers crossed.

DieselFume and Curt like this.
  9. alyaz

Side X Side(s):

So you guys were right, the pads were all in good shape. Just took everything apart and cleaned and lubed the sliders with the proper brake pin grease etc. The wheel bearing greasers worked slick and I feel a lot better knowing they are lubed properly now.

Seastacker and DieselFume like this.