1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

2016 Dominator 1000 starter problems

Discussion in 'Odes Nation' started by qajeff, Jul 11, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. qajeff

qajeff jeff SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2016 Odes Dominator 1000

Went out today and started the beast up, cranked a little slow so I decided to let her run for about 15min at ldle to charge the battery (she has been off the tender for a week or so. Came back out to shut it off and it was sounding funny, hit the key and it shut down, but the starter was still cranking with with the switch in off, started it back up and ran to get some tools to pull the battery cable, and in route it shut off. Started it again, same thing, finally shut its self off, tried the key switch again dead as a door nail, no dash indication. Put the charger on the battery with cables hooked up, pegged the needle on the charger, like a direct short. pulled the battery, it is taking a slow charge just fine. So, I was thinking ignition switch ??? Starter relay??? Do you guys have any idea, don't want to shotgun this with parts I don't need, any help would be nice.

UPDATE: Got a new starter solenoid (the heavy duty one, not the standard one) installed it, no more direct short, reinstalled the battery full charged, key to the on position, everything working fine, when turning key to start,all I get is a click at the starter, put my hand on the starter and it is coming from the starter. So the old solenoid allowing the starter to keep running when the machine was running has toasted the starter. Does anyone changed a starter on one of these? my dealer went out of business last year so at a loss as to were to go next with this.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  2. Oldguy

Oldguy Randy SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Odes Dominator X LT

Google Motorcycle Dr. from Missouri. The guy I talked to is a wealth of knowledge. Has a bunch of parts for Odes