1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

2017 1000xp highlifter

Discussion in '1000: S, XP, & Highlifter, 2 & 4 seat' started by Tccollums, Jan 14, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Tccollums

Tccollums Terrell SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2015 900s, 2017 1000xp highlifter

My 17 highlifter seems the front diff has vibration and steering gets stiff now I noticed both axles are starting to show signs of demand fluid leaking on axle end's and I just recently had first service @25 hrs and changed the fluids has anyone notice their diff feeling strange ?

2. Curt

Curt Administrator

It has a vibration all the time or only in four wheel? Four wheel it's kind of normal. Kind of a buzzing sound?

3. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

The front diff is locked in when the rear wheels are slipping and the steering can get a little tight. That is part of the beauty of the Polaris system since it will unlock when the rear slip stops leaving "normal" steering. Aside from flipping the dash switch to energize the armature in the front diff, they are purely mechanical (hilliard overrun system). Like Curt said, a little hum or buzz is normal from the harmonics of the drive line. I am a little worried about the leaking fluid you describe… really should not be leaking anything, especially if you are only at the 25 hour mark.

Here is a good link with some info on the Hilliard system:
    http://www.hilliardcorp.com/media/1...fferential-for-On-Demand-Four-Wheel-Drive.pdf

PlumberSteve76 likes this.
  4. Tccollums

Side X Side(s):

Thanks guys I didn't realize I had a response to my diff,and yes only in 4x4 it feels rough but after 3 or 4 trips to dealer and a bunch of run around they replaced the axle seals ,like 3 weeks ago! I've had a2014 800s le ,and 2015 900s and neither of them felt like this in 4x4 but dealer say the high lifter just locks in better ,so who knows lol after all trouble/ run around had getting seals replaced. I will check out the link also

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  5. Expat

Expat Larry SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2012 Polaris Ranger 800XP

The ratios are closer or maybe even 1:1 now so that is why you feel it. On my 2012 Ranger you never feel the steering due to being in 4x4 unless the rear has no traction. On my Turbo there is no need to the AWD light as you know it when it is locked in. I thought my front end seals were leaking at first as I read some having this issue. Ends up mine was only the black grease they had put on the axle splines getting warm and slinging out on a high speed road run.

Seastacker and Curt like this.
  6. Toxic-21

Toxic-21 Greg SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris Ranger 900 XP Bronze Mist
    2009 Polaris Ranger 700 XP Sage Green

As Larry stated, you will feel the 4 wheel drive engaged more, due to the front gear case ratio which is 3.18:1.
    The front gear case ratio in your 2014 800 was 3.82:1.
    Power steering helps to mask the steering effort, but you still know it's there.

The higher gear ratio in the front gear case, along with the Trans ratio allows your HL unit to engage faster.

SxSNationDev likes this.
  7. Tccollums

Side X Side(s):

Well seals didn't last long they are leaking again ! Actually about 30-40 hrs also replaced rear axle seals which started leaking also but that' about 110 hrs I could see if I stayed in the mud but don' really mud it ,I got the highlifter mainly for durability and the lower gear ratio the factory ready mods can't figure why front end leaks so quickly makes me wonder if the rough feel I questioned has anything to do with leaking

8. Curt

Curt Administrator

It’s not typical for the front seals to leak.
    Both my RZR and my General make a buzzing noise in 4x4. Is that what you are referring to?

9. Tccollums

Side X Side(s):

I don' really hear the buzzing noise for all the tire noise I guess, it just feels like it come through the gas pedal and floorboards, steering wheel as well ,it's more like rough vibration you would think it' metal grinding but I change the diff oil regularly just to see and it' not an xcessive amount of shaving or dirty so I don't know may normal on the 17 highlifter

10. Curt

Curt Administrator

What you describe sounds like what my RZR and General do

11. buddymc

buddymc Elmer SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2017 Polaris RZR Highlifter
    2017 John Deere Gator 825i S4

My 17 Highlifter always had some vibration in 4WD only. The vibration got worse recently, I pulled the console and the skid plate and drove it slow, fast 2WD and 4WD, absolutely no bend or deflection in the drive shaft. I pulled the driveshaft and checked the ujoints, all feel good and smooth with no slop. While apart I replaced the carrier bearing with a new Sandcraft Gen3. Put it all back together and the vibration in 4WD is still the same, it is pretty bad. I am certain it’s in the front diff, I’ve decided to drive it until it breaks, then I’ll know exactly what is causing the vibration and I’ll fix it.

12. jasonderr

jasonderr Jason SXS Nation Rookie

Hey buddymc -- how did you fair out.. I have a 17 HL with the same exact problem.. I have thrown a lot of money at it with no resolve..