1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

50" + friendly trails in MI

Discussion in 'Midwest Region Riding Area Information' started by Jboogie747, Sep 11, 2018.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)

1. Jboogie747

Jboogie747 Jacob SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2017 Can am maverick x3ds

3418.jpeg Hey there from grand Rapids mi... new to the sxs thing. Just bought the 4 seater can-am maverick.. looking to take my wife up north (lower peninsula) on Sept 26th for the weekend. Looking for some suggestions on good trails and rustic camping spots as well as people to ride with as this is our 1st time out... any help is appreciated.

2. Dick

Dick Richard SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2006 Prowler

Welcome Jacob, there is A ride scheduled for Sept. 28 and 29. put on be Kalkaska Eagles #4496. and there is A state forest campground
    just down the road from them that I believe is orv friendly. it is just off m-72 at the Manistee river. link to eagles page is:Site title - KALKASKA EAGLES 4496
    look under the jeep run link on their page. We are new at this also. just started this summer. only been on A few outings. enjoy.

Rich

3. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Welcome Jacob! That X3 is wicked looking! A good place to start would be with VV Mapping. His maps will tell you what is open in terms of ORV Routes, etc. With most of the forrest roads now open, it really changed the game a bit. I got his maps and a cost effective remanufactured Garmin to mount in my machine. I am still trying to learn how to build routes, but it certainly helps to know where you are at!

Great Lakes ORV GPS Map - VVMapping.com

Also, if you wait till October, there is a Ride Michigan fall ride going on. The group rides are a ton of fun! They are staying at the Head Waters campground which is not "rustic", but I'm sure the would accommodate you if you wanted to do tent camping.

Ride Michigan Fall Ride | Side X Side Nation

4. Curt

Curt Administrator

That’s definetly a nice ride you have there!
    @Dave is really familiar with the trails around Frederick. He may be able to give you some good routes. You might want to consider staying at headwaters that weekend and using it as a base.

5. Dave

Dave Dave Administrator

Side X Side(s):

2017 RZR XP4 1000 turbo

There are a lot of great trails and forest roads in the Frederic area. I us VVmapping for most of my rides. You can also print the routes off from DNR - ORV/ATV Trail Maps Let me know if I can be of any help.

6. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Welcome to the Nation Jacob !
    that is the weekend of the mighty mac ride hope to see you if that's something you would like to join a group from here will be there me included!

Seastacker likes this.
  7. Jboogie747

Side X Side(s):

Thanks fellas, I think I will take you up on the ride on the 28th and 29th. I'd feel better about going with a group our first out. Are we supposed to have helmets and eye protection on to be legal? Anybody that's goin want to meet up and maybe let us tag along with ya as to kind of walk us through how this goes? I'm from more of a moto background so I really have no clue what I have gotten myself into lol...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  8. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Helmets not reg. you are not reg. to have goggles or glasses .And you have a windshield so that's a plus! and I will get you times and meet info when we nail them down more then welcome to join are group.

9. Jboogie747

Side X Side(s):

Has anyone ever been on the trails by pickeral lake? It appears to be an orv route...which means a jeep can fit through it correct? Looks like we will be there camping next week , and planning on doing the ride in kalkaska on saturday?

10. Dick

Dick Richard SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2006 Prowler

Pickeral lake looks like it is by the Kalkaska orv route. The routes are open to all size orvs including Jeeps and other vehicles
    as long as they have A dnr trail sticker. We haven't ridden any of the trails in that area. Tried the Fredrick route but lost it
    and couldn't pick it up again. Have since bought VV Mapping for our gps and will give it A try again next spring.

Rich

11. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Seth Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500
    Yamaha Wolverine X2 R-Spec

You're not required to wear a helmet, but goggles and a Wolfsnout are highly recommended to keep the dust away.

Rockin Ronnie likes this.