1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

50w dual band radio

Discussion in 'SXS Radios' started by Kymedic, Mar 13, 2016.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Kymedic

Kymedic Supporting Vendor

Side X Side(s):

2012 Kawasaki Teryx4

This is our top performer. This radio is a true 50w dual band (uhf&vhf) radio. It is loaded with features including;
    Multicolored display
    Dual channel capabilities
    Built in Fm radio
    Field programmable
    External speaker port

Comes programmed with all 22 frs / gmrs frequencies and also all 7 Noaa weather channels. Includes radio,mic,mounting bracket, power wire, tuned uhf antenna and coax with pl259 connector and L bracket mount for the antenna.

All this for $250 shipped.

For people on the west coast wanting to use the vhf frequencies, these cab be programmed with all the Rugged Radio frequencies used in the dunes. This requires a optional dual band antenna. With the dual band antenna and programming these are $300 shipped.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

kscfire likes this.
  2. Curt

Curt Administrator

Thats a great radio and a great deal!

3. Limo Driver

Limo Driver Fred Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

2014 Polaris Ranger 570 Crew

Just added this to my wish list, I didn't even realize I needed this so badly until I seen it!

4. Kymedic

Side X Side(s):

2012 Kawasaki Teryx4

These make the ride much safer and much more fun. .

Limo Driver likes this.
  5. Arizona Flying Dutchman

Arizona Flying Dutchman SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger 900 Crew 5 EPS

Can somebody give me a heads-up on these radios. I know nothing about these higher wattage units. We have the .5 watt models with a 20 mile line of sight range.... yeah, right, ... more like 1/2 mile on the trail. With these, is the range any better? Are there monitored emergency channels, like the old CB REACT system? What are the "rugged" channels? Any "Radios For Dummies" type info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any input.

6. Fswan

Fswan Forde Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 RZR 900XP, 2011 Ranger 800XP

@Kymedic would be a better person to answer your questions but I can give you my observations. First off, I don't have this radio (but may soon!), I have a 50W VHF mounted in my RZR along with an intercom. With 50W and roof-top mounted antenna, the range is indeed greater, but (in my experience) NOT 10 X better than a 5W hand-held. If you are in VHF mode, there is "supposed" to a monitored channel, but again, in my experience, everyone monitors a pre-agreed upon channel. The Rugged channels are a set of VHF channels commonly used by west coast desert riding guys, especially in some of the bigger races like the Baha, Reno to Vegas, King of the Hammers, etc. One group that I ride with more often (east coast) will pick one of these channels (frequency) at the beginning of a ride and pretty much stick with it for several days unless there is some interference or some other group comes along and picks the same channel (very rare!) VHF is more commonly used in the marine environment but usually different channels so there are not too many VHF'ers out in the woods.

I found some groups that liked the UHF band better (usually the FRS frequencies) so I got some UHF hand helds that worked with my VHF cords and plugs. Later, I got a few dual band (VHF/UHF) hand helds and found that we could loan them out to other riders in the group and everybody could get on the same frequency, VHF or UHF. Handy! My guess is that for the upcoming HM rally, most folks will have UHF (FRS) capabilities.

A couple of years ago on PRC, I tried to generate some interest in some sort of standards for us UTV riders. It went no where! The VHF guys all wanted VHF, the UHF guys all wanted UHF, the CB guys all wanted CB, and HAM guys all wanted HAM, in other words, no one wanted to switch from what they were most familiar with.

This is getting way too wordy, so I'll cut it short. IMO, an intercom (IC) is just as valuable as a 2-way radio. With a VOX (voice activated) IC not only can you talk to everyone in your buggy without shouting (think helmets) but you can feed all the headsets with music that automatically cuts off when someone speaks - no buttons to push. If you hook up your 2-way to IC also, everybody gets to hear the radio traffic between the different buggies in the group, and the driver and co driver can both talk to others in the group by pushing a remote Push To Talk (PTT) button.

Not covered here are VHF vs UHF, license requirements (now that's an interesting topic!), costs, options (a ton of 'em), wiring requirements, antenna tuning, and others I can't think of off hand.

Long story short, get you one!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  7. Kymedic

Side X Side(s):

2012 Kawasaki Teryx4

Fswan did a great job. These have a true range of 5-7 miles on uhf in the mountains. They come standard programmed to the 22 frs / gmrs frequencies and also all 7 Noaa weather channels. These will also handle the vhf frequencies used by Rugged but require a different antenna which i do have also. Most people on the east coast use uhf. West coast uses vhf. Reason for this is uhf works better in wooded areas as the wavelength is much shorter.

8. Curt

Curt Administrator

I bought my 50 w uhf radio from Kymedic! It seems to be a great radio for a great price!

Kymedic likes this.
  9. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

If you're out in the boonies the now a channels are worth their weight in gold

10. Kymedic

Side X Side(s):

2012 Kawasaki Teryx4

Yes they are. Love these little radios.

11. Arizona Flying Dutchman

Arizona Flying Dutchman SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger 900 Crew 5 EPS

Thanks guys, that really clears up a lot for me. I am an old CB'er from way back but find them lacking these days. I will add one of these radios to my toy "wish" list.... just didn't want to spend that kind of money if I'm not getting much more bang for the buck than my current 1/2 watt hand-helds,

12. Kymedic

Side X Side(s):

2012 Kawasaki Teryx4

O yeah much better range and convenience than the hand held radios.

13. wvyankee2

wvyankee2 Marty SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2015 Can Am Maverick XDS

Had this one from KyMedic in my Teryx. Worked great! Would highly recommend th IMG_0127.jpg is guy for a Radio.

Kymedic likes this.
  14. Craig Sterley

Craig Sterley SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

'14 Commander Max

Where can i go to get further information and ordering on this radio?

15. Dave

Dave Dave Administrator

Side X Side(s):

2017 RZR XP4 1000 turbo

Send a Pm to @Kymedic. I have two of the 50w radios and know several others and they work great.

Seastacker likes this.
  16. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I used my handheld 8w I got from @Kymedic and there is a world of difference in range compared to the Walmart radios. I was running toward the middle of the pack on a recent ride and seemed to be the break point in terms of stopping to wait for the back crew. I frequently radio'd forward to @Dave and back to @Curt with no issues at all….crystal clear. I would estimate a gap between machines of at least a few miles at times and there was no sign of any signal loss. These radios are a GREAT investment and can really make riding in a group that much more fun when you can stay in touch!

Craig Sterley likes this.
  17. Kymedic

Side X Side(s):

2012 Kawasaki Teryx4

Thanks guys. Pm replied

Curt likes this.