1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

700/800 Intake boot cracked

Discussion in 'Full Size: 700, 800, 2009-2014 Model Years' started by DieselFume, Apr 14, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Customer brought me in this nice low houred (350 hours) 2011 Crew to work on today. A routine oil change turned into another inner rear CV boot replacement and finding a cracked intake boot on the engine.

This one was pretty bad, but also had dust in the intake from a previous air filter or some other failure (ranger was bought used). So, I removed the boot, cleaned the throttle body, wiped out the head as best I could, put a thin film of Ulta Grey silicone on the new boot and re-installed. I like to use a little blue loctite on the 6mm bolts that secure the boot.

Cleaned off the T-bap sensor while I was there.

It's interesting to note that this machine is a 2011 with under 400 hours when it's boot failed, while my personal 2011 XP's failed a few months back with about 3000 hours on the clock. Which tells me that it's not so much time, or vibration that kills these boots, but it's age more than anything.

It would wise I think to replace these boots every 2-3 years to be safe. they're not too expensive, about $60 20170414_2.JPG

Attached Files:

Jungleman likes this.
  2. Jungleman

Jungleman SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2007 Polaris Ranger 700XP LE

Totally agree with that Adam. Three to four years max is all you get with the Polaris 700 throttle body adapters, regardless of milage. I replaced a badly cracked TBA on a 2009 700 a month ago with less than 300 hours on it and I am on number 3 on the 2007 as are the 2006 700's down here. Way smarter to just schedule replacement every three years than risk dusting the engine.

DieselFume likes this.
  3. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

When we had our 700s I don't know why, but they seemed to eat boots more often. 1-2 years was about all I could get out of them. Don't know if they were just designed differently, or if there was some other reason, but I changed them pretty frequently to keep the evil dust bunnys out of my engine