1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

800 Ranger diff lock bypass

Discussion in 'Full Size: 700, 800, 2009-2014 Model Years' started by DieselFume, Jan 22, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

It's been winter here, and the Rangers haven't been able to get around as well as I'd like... It's usually a problem in winter, but this year is worse because of the hard pack ice we've built up on our trails/roads and even into the pasture.

Issue is, in AWD, the rear diff lock is always engaged, even if the 4wd has not (on demand type). This causes a situation where the front end tends to "push" going into a corner because the back wheels are locked and there is no power being directed to the front wheels to help turn because the rears have not slipped yet.

My answer is this- A very redneck, yet quick and cheap way around that problem. This will disable the rear diff lock forever until you undo this modification-

Others have invented an electronic diff "unlocker" but right now I just don't have the time to engineer that and build it. For my opinion, honestly, if you have AWD, you really don't need the diff lock. Reason, diff lock isn't going to get you out of that mud hole (or snow bank) if you've already gotten stuck in AWD. I have no intention of ever undoing this mod on any of our rangers.

The spacer under the C clip is two 1/4" nuts. They fit perfectly. then re-thread in the diff solenoid just as before and re-attach the wires. I do realize that all of the pressure pushing on linkage in the case to keep the diff unlocked is acting on the C clip, and if it failed the two nuts could drop into the case. However, I've got two rangers here that have at least a thousand miles on this setup now and no issues. For some, it may not be a risk they want to take, but I just wanted to present the option anyway.

20170122_2.JPG 20170122_3.JPG

2. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

One of the reasons I prefer the option of 4wd or diff lock, I just hate it when some machine does the thinking for me.

DieselFume likes this.
  3. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Agreed. Not a fan of "regulation" myself. I like to have as much control as I can!

4. Curt

Curt Administrator

Thats a simple mod!

5. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

I'm guessing it pulls the shaft in to activate? maybe a spot weld on the nuts and a little permatex top and bottom might glue them in place? just for piece of mind...

6. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

@Pede

The way the transmission is set up it is in "diff lock" unless the solenoid is activated. So when the ignition is shut off, the diff lock is automatically engaged. Thought process is to have more holding power with the park brake on.... Not the way I'd have engineered it, but I think lawyers sometimes get involved in these decisions.

So, basically the solenoid has to run full time to extend the plunger and keep it in "unlocked" mode until diff lock or AWD switch it turned on. Power is then cut to the solenoid, and the plunger retracts.

What I am doing here is giving it no choice but to be in "unlocked" mode, full time, regardless of switch position.

I like the idea of spot welding the nuts together, but I'm not sure if silicone or glue would be able to hold them to the plunger. It's spring loaded slightly to retract. I had to hold it out with my finger in the first picture.

If nothing else, a person could always just weld the nuts to the plunger if you had a junk solenoid laying around. If a person wanted to get really technical, a plug to replace the solenoid could be produced with a pin machined in disengage the diff.

It's made a huge difference in the past couple days in how I can steer yet still have AWD around the yard and most places I drive. On the tracked ranger it's a MASSIVE difference in terms of how tight I can turn. That's got to be better for the machine's powertrain too I'd think.

7. Pede

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Does it suck the pin all the way in without the c-clip? I was thinking about the old black permatex, I see you can still buy it, spent a portion of my youth scraping that sh$t off.

8. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

no, with the c clip off it will pull in about to the c clip groove.

Black permatex is good stuff. I've kinda found a fondness for their ultra grey over the past few years. the stuff is amazing

9. Richard Davidson

Richard Davidson RD Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2009 Arctic Cat Prowler 700 XTX

What gear ratio do the Rangers have? I have a 3.6 in my Cat (700), 650's have a 4.0, and the 1000's run a 3.2+

10. Pede

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Well then spot welding the nuts would keep them from going somewhere they shouldn't, now if you could keep the c-clip from wondering off....if it should choose to do so.

11. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

off the top of my head I'm not too sure..... I think it's listed in the owners manual. I'll have to dig it out sometime and check- I know the ratios changed alot between the 700s, 800s, crews-.... I'm sure the 900s and 1000s are different too!

12. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

The transmission gear ratio says it's 3.60:1 for a 2012 Ranger XP, But I know they changed them quite a bit depending on the model, and engine size