1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Adding 2nd Battery for Accessories

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ckingwevl, Jan 22, 2018.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. ckingwevl

ckingwevl Chris SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Mahindra mPact XTV 1000 Diesel Crew

I finally got all the parts in to start my project to add a 2nd accessories battery to my Mahindra/Intimidator. I haven't selected a battery yet. I know how I am doing it is ever kill, but where I hunt it's extremely remote with no one around and I cannot afford to get stranded from a dead battery or half-ass wiring jobs that potentially fails or causes fires. I will post pics along the way to show progress. Here is my parts list so far for those curious:

1. Optima Universal Battery Box Mount Tray by Randy Ellis Design - solid 1/8 steel holder. Really impressed with this.
    2. Blue Sea Systems Add-A-Battery Kit - 65 amp kit comes with a marine battery controller switch and isolator. Allows me to turn both batteries off, combine the batteries or start from the 2nd battery if I have to. Isolator maintains charge on both batteries when running.
    3. 4 Gauge Red 30 Feet Welding Battery Pure Copper Flexible Cable + Tinned Copper Cable Lug Terminal Connectors - The stock battery cabling is 4 gauge so I saved some money and went with the same. Because of where I am locating the 2nd battery, switch and isolator, I needed enough cabling to go around my machine 1.5 times! It's not marine grade, but I don't mud in this thing and where I am running them about 18" above ground they will never get wet. I soldered the terminal ends and heat shrank the ends so should be golden. Only had about foot left when done.
    4. BUSBARS – 4-Post Power Distribution Block – Pair of 3/8” Black/Red - For simplicity of adding/removing accessories, I added a positive and negative 250 amp rated busbars.
    5. Nylon Heat Shrink Ring Insulated Terminals Electrical Wire Crimp Connector - for all the connections to the busbars.
    6. Heat Shrink Insulated Butt Connectors Butt Splice Terminals, Heat Shrinkable, Water and Vibration Proof, Corrosion Free - Accessories never come with wiring that is long enough to reach the power source so will be doing a lot of extended wiring.
    7. RED 14 AWG, 600V, 36 Ft - extend accessory wiring.
    8. BLACK 14 AWG, 600V, 36 Ft - extend accessory wiring.
    9. Negative Battery cable 15" - to ground 2nd battery.
    10. New Positive Battery Terminal Clamps with 3/8 Post - Provides easy battery cabling connections.
    11. Lots of Self-tapping bolts and screws + bolts, washers and nuts - Never can have enough.
    Spent way more than I wanted to on parts, but this is a new machine that I plan to have for a while so I needed it done right!

2. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI Mid-Size

Looks like a good solid set up. Document the install for sure. Should make for some good pics and reading.

3. ckingwevl

ckingwevl Chris SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Mahindra mPact XTV 1000 Diesel Crew

Sorry guys for including the hot links in my type (bullets in red). I copy and pasted from my Amazon order and thought I removed the formatting. No benefit for me sending you to Amazon!

4. wixthedog

wixthedog Mike SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Intimidator 750 Crew

Looks like you are have a great start! I'm interested in which battery you choose but I assume some type of AGM deep cycle.

5. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

I'm not sure how big of deal it is with an isolator but I would start with 2 new batteries and not just add one, old saying goes; it's only as good as your weakest one. I know you have already got your connectors but the top of the line are crimp/solder/seal and a bit pricey.