1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on first SxS...Diesel?

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Willie Lane, Aug 19, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Willie Lane

Willie Lane Michael SXS Nation Rookie

I own 10 acres and looking to get a used SxS to help me get some work done on the land. Budget wise, likely looking at 5-8 years old and somewhere between 800-2500 hours.

Here are the planned uses:
    Discing and seeding a couple acres to plant food plots
    Pulling downed trees out of creek bed and dragging to a piles
    Small amount of joy riding (kids) and carrying supplies to beehives.
    Hunting/Camping - I'm am buying this for a work machine, but if it makes sense, I would use it a couple times a year

Initially I was drawn to the diesel engine. I like the durability of the diesel and assume it would perform better on dragging/pulling tasks.
    I test drove a Mule 4010 trans diesel and it seemed extremely loud with lots of rattle (its a shame bc it was a great deal)
    I test drove a 2012 Kubota RTV 900 diesel; it felt more 'solid' than the mule. I can deal with the quick stop problems and slow speeds. I also like the Kubota's ability to add a hydraulic 3 point hitch in the near future. The seller had a 1140 as his personal ride and gave us a test drive and the wife likes the 2 row options, so I have been looking for used 1140s,

Questions:
    Should I continue to focus on looking for a deal on a SXS diesel engine?
    I don't see many Polaris Diesels, is it worth looking beyond the Kubota? I would probably have to test drive a brand new one and hope it is similar to one with 5-8 years on it.

or
    Would a gas engine do everything I need and more and add to the recreational activities?
    How would longevity between gas/diesel compare assuming equal work?

2. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Whatever you buy, a good dealer is number one priority. As for longevity between gas and diesel, yes the diesel will outlive the gas but with todays motors you'll likely wear out other things long before you have problems with either motor.

3. Willie Lane

Willie Lane Michael SXS Nation Rookie

Thanks for the advice. There are Polaris, Kawasaki, and Kubota dealers all within 30 minutes of me, so now it comes down to picking a machine that best fits my needs.