1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge Installed

Discussion in 'Full Size: 700, 800, 2009-2014 Model Years' started by jphillips108, May 26, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. jphillips108

jphillips108 Jeremiah SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2016 Ranger 800 6x6

I've installed an AEM Air Fuel Ratio Gauge on my 2016 Ranger 800 6x6. I plan on doing future mods like removing restrictor and maybe a power commander V and wanted to know for sure what the air/fuel ratio is when doing the mods.

Currently, I've snorkeled the engine intake, clutch intake and clutch exhaust. The only other thing I've done to the motor is add a UNI foam air filter. Stock exhaust.

Here's a video of a test ride I did after installing the gauge,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bMS...ature=youtu.be

The first part of the video I'm going down a slight hill and starting at about 1:30 I start back up the hill.

From my understanding 14.7:1 is optimal in a non turbo gas automobile engine. Is it the same for the Polaris 800 or for these type of engines should it be lower? What should I be shooting for? I'm going to do another video with the restrictor removed later this week.

2. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Very cool. A buddy of mine runs one like that but in a dual set up on his turbo Fox body Mustang. He has a wide band o2 in each header to keep an eye on things. I cant 100% answer what the correct ratio is, but you seem to be running ok. Cool mod!

3. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Nice install! Like the gauge pod setup. What are the other two gauges?

I think you're correct about the "optimal" A/F ratio, but from my understanding polaris around the 2012 model year richened up the mixture on the 800s to help with all the heat that was being generated under the seat. alot of the 2011s when they came out had issues with melting the seats, and other stuff because they were running so warm. The richer A/F mix helped that.

Granted it's not optimal, but it's what they did. I imagine with yours being a '16 it's as rich or more than the 12s were.

taking out the restrictor and leaning it out a bit I'm sure wouldn't hurt any.

4. Richard Davidson

Richard Davidson RD Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2009 Arctic Cat Prowler 700 XTX

Makes me want to go buy one! Thanks for sharing.

5. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Translation: RD's already sweet/ heavily customized machine will have a afr gauge on it next time I see him. ;):rolleyes:

6. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

that just goes with the old Hot Rodder thing always got to keep an eye on vitals!

Seastacker likes this.
  7. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Here's a pic of RD's cockpit of his daily driver-

[​IMG]

8. OU812

OU812 DuWayne Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

2013 800 LE FS Sunset Red

AFRs... dependent on who you ask.. 12.8:1 at WOT n/a on 93 pump gas, my supercharged Mark VIII I run 11.4:1
    You should only see 14.6-7:1 at idle and at low load cruise, you don't have a trailer with 1500 lbs of wood in it.

The gauge is going to flop around a bit. Rarely will it ever be steady.

[​IMG]

Du