1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone moved snow with a UTV and ATV?

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by alyaz, Nov 4, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. alyaz

alyaz Al SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2011 Polaris Ranger 500EFI

Moving from an area where we don’t get snow to an area that does. Currently have a Polaris Ranger UTV, that the home purchaser wants to buy.

My question is, have you guys found that, generally speaking, a UTV or an ATV is better at snow removal, when equipped properly? Thanks.

2. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

If you have a substantial area to plow the UTV does a better job. More weight means more snow can be moved. Steering wheel makes maneuvering much easier and cab enclosures and heaters can be added for comfort. If you have a smaller or more technical area that needs plowed an ATV might be a better choice as it will maneuver in a smaller area. I have used both, when my drive area was smaller it was simple and quick, but now my drive area has grown by more than 2x and takes more than twice as long to plow. Being inside a cab enclosure and the extra qeight and power of the UTV makes the job fun.

Oldguy and alyaz like this.
  3. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I had great success plowing with a Ranger. Even my little 500 was a beast and had no problem with 12" of the white stuff. The only think I did was add a good plow set up and a couple sand bags to the bed.
    I am a little torn between the SXS and my old tractor with a snow blower though. Depending on what you are plowing, the blower may be faster. The plow requires a lot of re-positioning to get the snow where you want it versus the snow blower where you can put it in place the first time around. It is nice having a multipurpose machine with the Ranger though. One thing I wish I did have with the Ranger was power steering...the plow ads some weight to the front.

Here is a video I made a couple winters ago with the Ranger...

Here is another of me using my Case/ Ingersoll snow blower...

In both cases I was doing my own drive as well as a couple of the neighbors.

alyaz likes this.
  4. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Cant beat a good snowblower! I have one as well for the deep drifts. Lite snow up to 6" is much easier with the plow but big drifts and really deep snow need to be thrown out of the way. Didnt know a blower was a choice, just an atv or a utv? LOL.......

alyaz likes this.
  5. alyaz

alyaz Al SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2011 Polaris Ranger 500EFI

Thanks guys.

6. River Rat

River Rat Mike SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

'07 Prowler 650XT

Oldgreybeard and alyaz like this.
  7. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

My blower is a self propelled walk behind unit. Works very well! In my area, deep drifts or deep snow are rare, the plow blade on my utv covers 95% of my snow removale needs. I couldnt justify the cost of a large unit for my utv for the few times I would use it.

alyaz likes this.
  8. Oldguy

Oldguy Randy SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Odes Dominator X LT

Started with an ATV and 52" plow for years, as was said, there are advantages to an ATV. My Girlfriend has had her hip replaced and couldn't straddle the atv to plow while I'm out of town, enter SXS with a 72" plow, cab, and more power than needed. Recently traded to a 19 Odes Dominator 800 X-2 , same set up with one improvement....heated seats. I have a tractor with a loader if needed although she isn't comfortable using it. Wanted a blower for SXS but at $7000 for a Berco 72" not so much, good luck and happy plowing

alyaz likes this.
  9. Oldgreybeard

Oldgreybeard Marcus SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i

I had a king quad, 700 I plowed with, it did a nice job but deep heavy wet snow I had to keep speeds up, this will be my first year using my own sxs but I used my sons last year, one reason I decided to buy a sxs, made the job way easier for me anyway. I use a walk behind blower as well for the sidewalks and between the rigs parked in the driveway, I have 2 driveways to plow, one to the shop and a seperate to the house, the biggest issue is where the state snow plow buries the front of both driveways with up to 3 foot high and at least that wide of burms, hitting those with either the sxs or four wheeler is like hitting a brick wall. From a slow start with the plow right against the burm, the sxs will push snow, the four wheeler just spins tires, the blower does a better job, just takes longer to move em. Once the snow is 3 feet deep or more the plow is pretty much useless, and the blower is the only option for moving new snow over the edges of the driveways. I guess to answer your question, it would depend on how much snow you get wherever you are moving to on what would work best, having a blower is not a bad idea along with a plow on a sxs in my opinion, whatever that's worth.

alyaz likes this.
  10. jefflac02

jefflac02 Jeffrey SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2015 Ranger XP900

Go big or go home. It’s heavy but it will move a pile of snow. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seastacker, Oldguy and alyaz like this.
  11. Taralynn

Taralynn Tara SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Odes Comrade

12. Taralynn

Taralynn Tara SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Odes Comrade

My Odes 650 seems to move the snow nice.You have to get out to change the angle being the only downfall.Never buy an Odes though.Great warranty on the surface....but the customer service and time taken to order parts is pathetic.

13. jefflac02

jefflac02 Jeffrey SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2015 Ranger XP900

The choice was $650 for a basic manual utv plow setup. Approx $1400-$1500 if I added the hydraulic angle kit.

Once you step up to the pro plows with hydraulics you start at around $2300 for Snowdogg for a straight blade and competitors can run up to $3000.

I chose a v plow because I am doing residential snow removal in a rural resort setting. A lot of the driveways I have are step single lane driveways that I either have to push from the road up towards the house and then move snow away from a garage door or entrance. Or I have to plow off the main road down to a house and move it away from the entrance to the garage or house.

The scoop feature alone sold me on that. It gives me the ability to pile snow in some of these tight areas and clean things up more quickly than if I had just a straight blade. For my business, time is money and the extra cost on the front end will save me time in the back end, and allow me to do more properties more quickly which = more $$$$.

The heavy v plow (400 lbs installed) isn’t for everyone, but if you had a larger property or clear for others, in my opinion it’s definitely work the cost $3650 out the door with taxes (that will include the snow flap, not yet installed because they didn’t have it in stock.) jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seastacker and alyaz like this.