1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Awesome looking site! Thanks in advance.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Turnburn99, Jan 16, 2018.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Turnburn99

Turnburn99 Rick SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2012 Arctic Cat 700 HDX

Hi all, new to the site and love what I'm seeing. I've already found where to get a service manual download for my Prowler. I ended up here as I was looking for service info on the 2012 Arctic cat prowler 700 hdx. We are currently in a deep freeze in Manitoba. My prowler gets used every day. Yesterday it didn't want to start from the extreme cold, but backfired very loudly twice. I stopped trying after the second backfire. Later in the day after the temperature was a bit better I tried again. It started as normal, but seemed to want to stall out. I chalked it up to needing more warm up and left it to idle on it's own. Drove it to the barnyard once it was warmed up and seemed to be normal. I shut it off while doing chores and when I went to use it to haul a load of wood up to the house, it wouldn't start at all. Not even a hint. Was getting dark by now, so I just left it. Now I'm pondering.... Looks like plenty of gas according to the gauge, but when I get home, I'll top it up just to be sure. Considering getting a new spark plug as it's the same plug as when I purchased about a year ago. These are the quick and easy fixes that have come to my mind. Now the more involved checks that are leading me to search out a manual are the timing chain, tension and related. I'm wondering if the backfire caused the timing chain to possibly jump? Any advice will be greatly appreciated as I'm pretty green, but willing to learn. Not sure how accessible this will be to check on the sxs, but something is needing attention. Oh, and a little more info.... The battery is a new AGM that's fully charged and functioning. I have a trickle charger installed to keep it topped up at all times. Other than needing a new battery, has always started prior to yesterday.

River Rat likes this.
  2. Dave

Dave Dave Administrator

Side X Side(s):

2017 RZR XP4 1000 turbo

Welcome to the nation

Turnburn99 likes this.
  3. Curt

Curt Administrator

Welcome to the Nation!
    I wonder if the Prowler has a map sensor in it? On some machines if they get dirty it can cause cold starting issues.

Turnburn99 likes this.
  4. Turnburn99

Side X Side(s):

2012 Arctic Cat 700 HDX

According to the service manual it does have one. I'll have a peek at it tonight and test it's function. Thanks for the suggestion.

Curt likes this.
  5. kscfire

kscfire Paul Event Coordinator

Side X Side(s):

2017 Polaris General Ride Command Edition

Welcome to the Nation, Rick.

Turnburn99 likes this.
  6. Mustplumb

Mustplumb Sonny SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Yamaha Viking

Welcome Rick. Good luck with the no start issue.

Turnburn99 likes this.
  7. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

What about water in the fuel, only takes a little to restrict flow or shut it off completely. In the colds months I use a little blue marine stabil in all the toys with good success. Nowadays you can get bad fuel anywhere..

Turnburn99 likes this.
  8. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Welcome to the Nation Rick!

Turnburn99 likes this.
  9. Turnburn99

Side X Side(s):

2012 Arctic Cat 700 HDX

I'll agree with you on this and it does appear that this is a good possibility. Tonight I've added fresh fuel and some sea foam. It made no immediate difference, but perhaps with luck it'll work tomorrow. Yesterday morning we had strong winds with temps below -30 Celsius. Tomorrow we are expecting temps about -5 Celsius. With the warmer temperatures and sea foam, I would think if it were icing issues, then should work.

10. GaryL

GaryL Gary Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900 Crew

Welcome aboard Rick!

Turnburn99 likes this.
  11. Turnburn99

Side X Side(s):

2012 Arctic Cat 700 HDX

UPDATE

Temperatures yesterday hit +5 Celsius (41 F) and Prowler still wouldn't fire at all. I started the process of seat removal and under seat cover. Wasn't nearly as bad as my mind wanted to tell me it would be, but certainly wasn't like pulling a lever to remove seat or flipping open a hood! Old plug looked fine but had no spark. Tested spark with new plug and it worked. Installed and engine started normal. Simple easy fix was just a plug, but getting to it wasn't a 30 second task. Reassembly went much faster with the use of a small battery operated impact driver. Next time I'm needing to do a similar task, the impact driver will be used to remove seat and covers for sure.
    Thanks everyone for all the valuable input and suggestions!

12. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Glad it was a simple fix. I would get a can of sea-foam and add to gas really great stuff!

Turnburn99 likes this.
  13. Turnburn99

Side X Side(s):

2012 Arctic Cat 700 HDX

Yup, I agree! Added Sea foam and a fresh pail of gas first. That didn't help, so I knew I had to go a bit deeper. I'm very pleased it was as easy a fix as it was! Went for a decent ride after work to make sure all is good. Worked perfectly!

Rockin Ronnie likes this.
  14. Richard Davidson

Richard Davidson RD Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2009 Arctic Cat Prowler 700 XTX

Slowly getting back to normal! House is still on the market, but we still plan on moving! Glad the fix was a simple matter!