1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Back Seat Change out

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by jshaver11, Jan 14, 2020.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. jshaver11

jshaver11 Jeff SXS Nation Rookie

I’m looking at purchasing the new Can-am 4 seater and converting it to a 5 seater for my family of 5. I was in a bike shop in southern California last night and the salesman tells me that its illegal to modify the amount of seats. Can anyone verify if this is true? I’m confused because there are several kits for sale out there and if you go to the desert on any weekend there’s plenty of custom built Sandrails with 5 seats and 400+ HP. Thanks for any guidance.

2. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I think that rule can vary by state. I seem to recall prior to going to West Virginia to ride that you were required to have a copy of your owners manual at all times and were not allowed more passengers than was designated by the manual.

NOW.....enforcement of this is probably an entirely different story. I know I have seen several people upgrade the back seats of Polaris RZR and General's to a 3 seat configuration.

3. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

A lot will also deoend on how your operating your machine. If operating in a safe and sane manor then no one would pay attention, but if acting like an idiot then everyone will notice. In my area it is "technically" illegal to ride on the roads, but have been doing so for 20 plus yrs with no issues, in fact the police even wave when I take the grandkids, but others in the area are constantly given tickets.
    In most cases, if you behave and dont endanger others, no one will even pay any attention. Been to H/M on many ocassions and the police were nothing but nice!!