1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

- Bailey's Journal - ( My 2018 RZR XPT4 )

Discussion in 'Member Builds' started by RWB713, Mar 12, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. RWB713

RWB713 Richard SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

Hey guys, just signed up to the forum, but figured I'd get going with my usual "Journal" of types that I've done for a lot of my stuff in the past (Quads, Trucks, SxS etc), Kinda like a build thread, but kinda like a story too. I enjoy doing it to go back and look at where me machine has come from and had gone. Hope it's interesting to someone, and feel free to ask about anything you like, or tell me it's stupid too, either way lol. I've quite a bit of experience and knowledge with RZR's at least, and I'd be glad to help anyone I can.

To Start, I bought the machine May 10, 2018 from Jones' Powersports in Durant, OK. The make some good deals out that way if anyone is interested. A year later and here we are, She's a little different now, but she's been a great machine, haven't had any issues other than self inflicted issues, but hopefully I've got all that sorted out now!

2018 Polaris RZR XPT 4 Fox Edition:

Custom Built Cage ( By Me and a Friend )
    Custom Roof ( By Me )
    32" Pro Armor Crawler XG's on 14" STI HD5 Beadlocks
    Factory UTV 1/2" Full Skid Plates
    Shock Therapy Stage 4 Springs
    Walker Evans Sway Bar Links ( All 4 corners )
    Aftermarket Assassins Stage 3 Clutch w/ Performance Helix
    AA Secondary Snap Ring Delete
    Dynojet PVCX w/ AA Stage 1 / 2 / 3 Tunes
    53% Low Gear Reduction
    13% High / Reverse Reduction
    Rhino 2.0 Axles
    Rhino U-Series Driveshaft
    SuperATV Carrier Bearing
    Viper Elite 6000lb Winch w/ Factor 55 Prolink
    Dragonfire Lower Doors
    Custom Lexan Windshield
    34" Rigid DR White
    30" Rigid DR Amber
    Rigid Dually Rock Lights
    Tribal Whips Multi Function Rear Bar
    TYT VHF Radio
    Custom Switch Plate & Wiring ( By Me )
    Dragonfire 4 Point Harnesses & Pass Thru Bezels
    PRP Door Bags
    MTX/Kicker Audio Setup
    Samsung Tab A 7.0
    Street Legal
    Axia Billet Goodies
    Spring Brake Thingy

[​IMG]

2. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

3. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seastacker likes this.
  4. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

Curt and Seastacker like this.
  5. Curt

Curt Administrator

Richard, that looks like a nice ride!

RWB713 likes this.
  6. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

I'll update as the story goes along, seems I always come back from a ride with a story of some sort lol

She's got 1250 miles and 85 hours right now, with many more to come!

Curt likes this.
  7. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

Thank You sir! She's done me well so far!

Curt likes this.
  8. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Keep us updated for sure. I like your approach with the build/ story.
    That rzr is bad to the bone. You and your buddy have some excellent fab skills. That cage looks awesome!

RWB713 likes this.
  9. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

Thank You sir, we've both built and modified many a things from tube over the years, picked up some pretty good experience along the way.

I will definitely update as it goes, I usually never stop adding or changing something lol, and I like to post pros and cons, or issues along the way in case anyone can find it useful or interesting too.

Seastacker likes this.
  10. kscfire

kscfire Paul Event Coordinator

Side X Side(s):

2017 Polaris General Ride Command Edition

Nice build and beautiful country to ride in.

Seastacker and RWB713 like this.
  11. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

Finally got some time to go out last weekend! It's been a minute and I sure did miss it!

I was having huge issues with belt temp, and I think i traced the cause to clutch primary bearing and belt alignment, so hopefully that's sorted out now. Prime riding season is almost upon us!

We didn't stop much for pics last weekend, but here's a couple i grabbed when we were stopped:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One issue I do want to bring up is I'm becoming less and less of a fan or my tires. (sorry to the couple of guys that just bought these, I hope you have better luck than me!) I've had two sidewall failures, one was a hard hit that i don't think any tire would have survived, but the other didn't feel like much at all, and now I just replaced the last failure with a brand new tire, and after 50 miles, looks like this:

[​IMG]

I expect my tires to feather and get roughed up a bit, i use them, and i do a lot of rock crawling. But this is my 6th one of these tires now, and none of the others every wore like this, this one only has about 50 miles on it. Most likely will be changing them all out before the end of the year.

Seastacker likes this.
  12. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Nice pics and bummer with the tire. I’m hoping mine hold up with the terrain we ride on. I think feed back like this is important, even if it’s not always good!
    I have hardly any miles on my machine since the purchase last fall, but I did install a razor back belt temp gauge. Hoping to catch any belt temp issues early whether it be a clutch issue or rider issue. $200 a belt is not my idea of a good time if there is a preventable belt failure!

13. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

I am currently on belt #5 lol, but I hope to have that all sorted out now, multitude of somewhat self inflicted issues really. Had bad issues with over shifting in the secondary that i didn't discover until this last belt, and then the primary bearing started giving me hell, couple it all with a heavy, high HP machine, and it doesn't mesh well with the rubber band that drives it all.

Ultimax makes a great belt at the $120 price point for the UXP series (441 is the PN for the your general), the UA series being a little cheaper than that even, if you'd like to save a little coin on that. Timken makes both the Ultimax and the Polaris OEM belt, and the Ultimax is in theory designed to handle more heat than the OEM. Take that for what it's worth, OEM is still an equal option i feel, just nice to save a little when you can. I had mine (Ultimax) to 300 deg last weekend and it held on strong. Hopefully it doesn't have to deal with that any more tho. The belts i have blown up were 3 Polaris and a Hunterworks for what it's worth, although i don't contribute any of the failures to the belt itself. The Hunterworks has a little different design, which may or may not cause issues depending on the machine, and I think the owner of that company is selling a bit of snake oil with his products, I don't recommend them, but I have seen many that have good luck.

I hope you have much better luck with your tires than I've had with mine!

Mustard_RZR likes this.
  14. Mustard_RZR

Mustard_RZR Justin SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2016 RZR XP4 1000

That's funny right there. I'm in agreement though. Seems little extreme on certain of the products he sells and the justification.

RWB713 likes this.
  15. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

I'm really thinking about fueling the fire and making a HW "snake oil" meme to throw around here and there... but i haven't found the time in photoshop... and can't decide if i want to be "that guy" or not. His attitude drives me nuts on alot of things, and yes, he does know a bit, but he's just such an over the top salesman with it all.

Mustard_RZR likes this.
  16. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

Took a nice little mellow cruise through the Carson Forest yesterday,

Decided we'd try to tow the RZR with the wife's 4 runner just so we know how it would do it we ever needed to. Power wise it towed really well, but no brake controller, and not quite enough drop hitch made the stability less than optimal, actually swayed bad enough once the the ASM on the 4runner took over, and it actually got it under control really quick, first time i'd ever had ASM come into play, I was pretty impressed with how quickly it got everything back in line. If we did this in the future I'd definitely want to add a brake controller and get the right hitch, but overall, for towing capacity being a whopping 5000lbs, and the rzr and trailer coming in at 4200, so being close to max cap, I was pleasantly surprised.

[​IMG]

The ride was mostly forest and oil field roads the wind up through the forest and back down to Navajo Lake, they were rutted up from recent rains, but the wife drove most of the day and she had a blast!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not a hot spot for sxs riding or anything, but the wife sure loves to cruise the forest and mountains and have a break from me putting her through stuff that keeps her on the dge of here seat ( I did still manage to do that once lol...oops!)

Seastacker and wgarcar1 like this.
  17. Curt

Curt Administrator

Wow you have some great country to ride!

18. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

Yessir, pretty fortunate around these parts, I can ride out my front door to some amazing desert terrain & rock crawling, 1 hour east gets you to this forest, 1 hour north gets me to 11000-13000 Colorado mountains, 3 hours gets me to Moab, and there's riding everywhere in between as well. Tons of options of terrain and scenery, I absolutely love it here for so many reasons.

Clocked 1450 miles in a year on this rzr, and many more to come!

Curt and Seastacker like this.
  19. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

Took it out again last weekend again and had a blast, still working on getting belt temps under control, but they've definitely gotten much better, and I'm going to install the blowhole and to help with heat soak and low speed temps a bit, and some frogskin vents to help with the high speed temps. Hopefully it will get down to where i like them to be!

I mounted the ol gopro back up for the weekend and crudely put together a video of what I ride in locally most of the time. Chokecherry Canyon / The Glade / Brown Springs Rec Area.. the list of names for it just keeps growing lol. The video turned out a bit long, and I've never felt first person perspective gopro video does anything due justice, but it gives a good idea at least of the area for anyone interested. There's two videos, one is the full wash run (the place my belts have went to die in the past), and then the second is a little bit of everything we rode that day. Lots of good wheeling out here, and most of it is an open use OHV area, so you can climb and drive anywhere you please.

The Full Wash Run:

The Overall Video

And here's a short vid of one of the climbs near the end at a plce we call scratching post (my friends don't take landscape videos apparently lol)

The wall that 4 seats don't do (including mine lol) 6 min mark in the vid
    [​IMG]

This pic mates up to around the 13:00 mark in the video
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    wgarcar1 and Curt like this.
  20. Curt

Curt Administrator

Now that looks like a lot of fun!

RWB713 likes this.