1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

- Bailey's Journal - ( My 2018 RZR XPT4 )

Discussion in 'Member Builds' started by RWB713, Mar 12, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Great videos! If I were to go out there, I would look at some of those walls you guys are climbing and say "nope...no way". THEN, you guys just drive up them, lol. I will get out there one day and see what the General has.

PS...Your buddies rock buggy is pretty sweet!

WyoMud and RWB713 like this.
  2. RWB713

RWB713 Richard SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

Ha ha ha, the ole general would surprise you on this stuff! Bring it on out!

That was it's first day on the trail, brand new Jimmy's chassis and a very awesome build. He did a great job putting it all together.

Seastacker likes this.
  3. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

Installed the blowhole CVT fan and cut some vents that i used frogskin covers for to add some belt cooling to the setup on Saturday. Helped trmendously at low - cruising speed, went out for a ride yesterday and let the wife take the reigns (she's always been happy riding, but recently decided she wanted to learn to drive on the rocks, so we went through a little driver's ed yesterday, she did really well!). The majority of the day we never saw a belt temp above 180, and it mostly was in the 160 range, which is awesome. I ran the wash on the way back to the truck and it unfortunately still climbed up to 230-240 rather quickly. From here to only direction I know to go is complete aftermarket clutches ( Airdam seems to be the magic potion ), but i can't decide if that's worth it to me ( $2100 ), or if i should just come to terms that I have to lighten up my foot in the heavy sand.. sigh... first world problems. The blowhole doe do an excellent job at keeping heat soak after stopping under control, no more belt temps creeping up after stopping, so that's definitely a plus!

For those curious or unfamiliar, the blowhole is an inline fan that flows 225 cfm through the clutch housing, so it's great additional cooling below about 5-6000 rpm before the stock system starts to flow more. Install is pretty simple, cut the intake tube, slip the blowhole in ( tight fit on a turbo, but that's a good thing) secure with included hose clamps. Wiring is plug and plug through the taillight plug, and only draws 1.7 amps.

Anyway, we had a great Easter out in the RZR! My wife loved every second of it and i was actually very impressed with how she did, from loading and towing, to wheeling all on her own basically. Hope everyone else had a great weekend! My exhaust should be here today, so I'll post up when I get that all installed.

Frogskin Vents Installed in the clutch cover: ( not recommended if you spend a lot of time in deep water or mud )
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the whole setup with the blowhole:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Curt, WyoMud and Seastacker like this.
  4. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

Got the AA exhaust in yesterday and got it installed. From just starting and revving in the garage it sounds pretty sweet, not overly loud, definitely a deeper tone, but I'm most excited to help get the heat out of the turbo mostly.

Install is a breeze, the retainer springs are the hardest part, but not terrible. Took me about 15 minutes from start to finish I think. Quite possibly the easiest mod I've done other than the parking brake.

I made a video that turned out a little longer than expected, but it gives a good sound level comparison for anyone interested. I used the Decibel X Pro app on my phone, so I wouldn't consider it for legal purposes, but I imagine it's a least pretty close. Sorry if the DB readout is hard to read, I didn't think about the white font being on top of my white garage door, and I set the phone in this position so the mic was facing the exhaust outlet... so enjoy the view of my garage door while watching lol

I tried to mimic the USFS test at 20" with machine at half the designed operating RPM just for a guideline

Summary if you don't want to watch the 5 minute video lol:

Stock Exhaust:
    Idle - 84 db
    4300 RPM - 92 db
    7500 RPM - 116 db

Open Header: ( Because I couldn't NOT do it lol )
    Idle - 99 db
    4300 RPM - 109 db
    6000 RPM - 121 db ( didn't feel like making my ears bleed lol )

AA Exhaust w/ both open outlets:
    Idle - 91 db
    4300 RPM - 98 db
    7500 RPM - 119 db

AA w/ 2 spark arrestors:
    Idle - 89 db
    4300 RPM - 97 db
    7500 RPM - 119 db

AA w/ 1 spark arrestor and 1 quiet cap (plug)
    Idle - 84 db
    4300 RPM - 92 db
    7500 RPM - 119 db

My choice for now is to run it with 2 spark arrestors, but according to my data (my ears agree), with a quite cap, it's not any louder than stock until you open it up, and with the deeper note, it almost seems quieter to the ear even ( My wife said she thought it was quieter ).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Stock Muffler with the discoloration from the catalytic converter:
    [​IMG]

5. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Sounds great! Those turbo machines have a nice bark to them for sure. I don’t think mine had a cat converter, but it was wild how much heat discoloration my stock muffler had. And that was just with less than 20 easy neighborhood miles on it. I imagine all these exhaust systems will let massive amounts of extra heat out.

6. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

I think they all do from 2016 on, at least one 900cc + machines, I'm not certain in that tho. The actual turbo will glow cherry red after just a few seconds of acceleration in stock trim, scares a lot of people the first time they see it, so getting some heat out of there is definitely an advantage!

Seastacker likes this.
  7. Mustard_RZR

Mustard_RZR Justin SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2016 RZR XP4 1000

Maybe give backing on to the trailer a shot in terms of control. All that weight in the motor being in the rear of the trailer cases more instability towing.

Seastacker likes this.
  8. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

Not the case so much for me. Mine is only 80lbs heavier in the rear, and there's a 15 gallon fuel jug at the front of the trailer that weighs almost 100lbs when full.

The biggest downfall was not enough drop in the hitch, because the only drop hitch I have with enough is for a 2-1/2" receiver, and the trailer/rzr weighing almost as much as the 4 runner isn't optimal either, and the RZR isn't centered over the axles ( This trailer was originally for my 2 seat 900 ) It was really just a "for the hell of it" tow anyway, we definitely didn't get the 4runner with the intention of towing much lol.

On that note, I did reconfigure my trailer a bit last week so i could pull the RZR farther forward and center it over the axles. It also helps a bit for tie down purposes.

Mustard_RZR and Seastacker like this.
  9. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

The wife has taken a great interest in driving & wheeling lately, her and a couple friends actually planned a girls weekend trip to Moab at the end of the month... She ever nervously "asked" if she could take the rzr lol, call me crazy, give me hell, but i of course said yes.... after she showed me that should could learn to hook up the trailer, load and tie down the rzr, tow the trailer, and confidently drive on the trails and rocks of course. Well, we've had a few weekends now, and she's done rather good at it, so the trip is set for them. We actually took a day trip up to Moab weekend before last, in which she took point with everything while I rode shot gun... She did it all quite well and needed very little guidance, ran Hell's Revenge ( No Side Obstacles ) and Fins' with no issue at all, pretty proud of her really, plus now she feels alot less terrified when she's in the passenger seat, so I'll call that a win-win lol.

I told you that to tell you this: She has wanted lighted whips and "pimp my ride" lights from day one, and I always held back because I've never been a huge fan.... but I am a huge fan of my wife being interested more in my favorite hobby.... so guess what...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bailey is now officially pimped lol.

She picked them out from R1 Industries, and i must say, I'm pretty impressed with the quality and price really.. lifetime warranty on the whips, bluetooth controlled, $345 for 2 whips and 8 "rock" lights.... only things i don't like about them is the rock lights ans whips are independently controlled with two different apps, and it's all pre-wired with connectors and two separate control boxes.. so i had to deal with mounting and routing all that to get to come out somewhat clean, which it took me all day Saturday to do, but it turned out alright ( I didn't really take any progress pics ).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also did a little repair / upgrade to the audio system. I had a speaker fail a while back and hadn't ever got around to replacing it ( cheap rockville speakers, made it about 6 months ). So I picked up some MB quart 6.5" to replace them, and we had also found that for us to hear the music while driving, our back passengers' ears weren't very happy since they're right next to the pods i mounted in the rear... so i picked up some kick panel enclosures from SSV works and the same MB quart 6.5's for the front too. The SSV works enclosures are a quality product, and the speakers sound night and day better too, pus we don't have to run 3/4 + volume to be able to hear it now.

Install on the pods isn't bad, drill two holes in the firewall and one behind the fender below the door latch, use the supplied bolts and you're on your way. I've even managed to do it by just pulling the fender flare off instead of the whole fender, I just had to swap the torx bolt they supplied out with a hex head so i could get a socket on it ( It's hidden behind the fender, so you can't see the oddball )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy Wife, Happy Life! lol.... If she continues to enjoy driving as much I'm sure we'll look into getting her her own rzr next year or over the winter, which i don't have much opposition to at all really :D

10. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

We did have some good riding the last couple weeks too, with the above mentioned day trip to Moab ( which i didn't get many pics of ) and then yesterday on a group ride with a local dealership.

The Wife getting ready to take on Hell's Revenge:

[​IMG]

Had a HUGE group turnout for the ride, I couldn't even get all the machines in the pic, and I forgot to bring the drone this time :sad but there were between 70-80 machines and we rode the Perimeter trail from Brown Springs for about a 40 mile ride

[​IMG]

Bailey parked at my favorite spot atop " The Garage"
    [​IMG]

Harper the RZR puppy had to take a break in the shade:
    [​IMG]

Sitting at 1675 on the odo now and 135 hrs.... onto the next adventure!

11. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Very cool. I love getting the wives involved. The whole family aspect was a big part of why I chose sxs’s. My wife said she wanted a radio and a heater... guess what my General has..? Lol

Glad to hear she is interested and doing well. Gotta be careful though... too much practice she will be beating you as a driver. It’s proven at the drag strip that the ladies have better reaction times. Nothing to say that doesn’t transfer over into some aspect of sxs driving. ;)

RWB713 likes this.
  12. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

I'd smile and be proud every time she beat me :D.

Seastacker likes this.