1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

- Bailey's Journal - ( My 2018 RZR XPT4 )

Discussion in 'Member Builds' started by RWB713, Mar 12, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. RWB713

RWB713 Richard Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

Two weekends in a row! Now we're getting back on track!

Last weekend I was kinda disappointed in the new RT Warrior tires a bit, they didn't seem like they stuck well on the rocks at all for me, and I found myself struggling to make it up some obstacles that I could easily walk up before, and it was kind of frustrating for most of the day...well the weekend was substantially different, they worked very well this weekend, and I think they are a tire that needs "worn in" more than some. I took the asphalt home last weekend (about 15 miles worth) and back out yesterday to scuff them off and give them another run, and it made a world of difference, and even seemed to get better as the day went on, I made short work of those same obstacles yesterday, so now I think we're headed in a good direction.

Not much else to report, just another great day on the rocks!

Couple pics and a vid for your viewing pleasure:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seastacker likes this.
  2. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Watching you guys get wild on the rocks never gets old. I was watching some KOH video coverage the other day which was cool as hell too. "One day" I will get out there and get some rock skills for sure. Watching some of your groups videos, I think I may need to increase the size of my **family friendly edit** first. lol

RWB713 likes this.
  3. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

Glad you like it! It's home to me, not as much notoriety as Moab or Sand Hollow (Which I'm ok with, keep it less crowded!), but just as good wheelin all around. We do have some pretty wicked stuff around here...even more so when you get into buggy territory.

Here's a pretty good buggy edit a buddy of mine put together a couple years ago if you haven't found it while youtube browsing lol:

Seastacker likes this.
  4. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

Have been having some front diff issues the last few rides out, excessive popping, and intermittently I will have no front drive. Last Friday I looked into the electrical side of everything and couldn't find anything that would have caused any issues, and went out a tested the front diff and everything seemed to be working fine... I still felt uneasy about it, but a guy from another forum had hit me up earlier in the week about making the drive up to check out the riding around these parts on Saturday, and I figured I could tough it out for the day and get by....that didn't turn out to be the case. Right off the bat the diff started popping basically under any amount of load, far less than should even cause a stock diff to pop, and I lost front drive twice within the first hour...I still plugged along until I let frustration get the best of me and I tried to compensate for a failing front diff with my right foot....anyone wanna take any guesses how that ended up?

It resulted in me laying it on it's side and verifying that my cage and harnesses work .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Total Damage toll:

Bent A pillar on the cage

Cracked Windshield

Broken LF Axle (Inner CV)

Crushed fender flair

Bent Mirror Clamp (glass and housing took it like a champ)

None of the suspension or steering seems to be bent that I can tell yet, I'll verify alignment and pull the entire front end apart to give everything a good inspection, and I'll get that front diff out and figure out what the hell is going on in there. Sigh....it was bound to happen at some point I guess!

Still had a good day out riding with the guys that came up from Gallup, got to show them around the area and play on some rocks..always nice to have new people to show around and ride with! I didn't get many pictures throughout the day as we kept a pretty steady pace to show those guys as much as we could get to, but here's the group when we stopped for a lunch break:

[​IMG]

It'll take me a little time to get everything torn apart and back in working order, but I'll update with the cause of the diff issue and all the other fun that will come along with the repairs and get it back out on the dirt soon!

5. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Man, that sucks. That popping you describe underload sounds like a broken Sprague cage to me. Keep us posted. If it is, they do offer some upgraded metal ones versus the stock ones which are usually plastic.

6. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

The Turbos have a cast aluminium sprauge cage from the factory, but my diff has been upgraded to an HD Extreme Stage 3, It should be plenty built enough to handle what I throw at it, but once I get it apart we'll see what the culprit is, I won't be a very happy customer with HD if something major has failed inside the diff, for the price and claims they make, my setup & riding shouldn't cause any issues at all.

Seastacker likes this.
  7. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

Got it all torn apart last weekend and the damage fully assessed. The diff had several internal issues, including a cracked case, abnormal wear on the armature plate, signs of the sprauge cage skipping in the ring gear, and the fingers of the armature plate slightly bent. I finally managed to get a hold of Brandon at HD Extreme on Monday, and his explanation was basically that due to manufacturing tolerances in the factory case, the armature plate may show wear from the magnet more in some diffs than others, and that due to manufacturing tolerances in the ring gear, that the original Stage 3 (not S) springless cage/rollers may have issues holding on one side of the cage verses the other, and this issue would be increased by the nature of my case failure. I honestly don't think he ever looked at the pictures I sent him of anything, but he seemed like it was somewhat of a common occurrence. The Stage 3S kit uses springs the rollers (as does the OEM configuration) to remedy this issue. The bent fingers and wear marks in the slots on the cage would also be caused as an effect of the rollers slipping through the ring gear.

All in all, I'm not very happy with HD Extreme, they never offered this information when I initially discussed waiting for the stage 3S or buying the stage 3, and he wouldn't even tell me what the difference in the two was going to be at that time. I feel like all my diff issues could have been avoided if some sort of that information was shared initially. Contacting them has also become very difficult now, and his attitude and tone shifted dramatically between now and 5 months ago when I purchased the kit. He never offered any sort of help or even hinted that he'd work with me to sort the problem out, and claimed he would call me back yesterday, so I could order and pay for the upgrade to the 3S cage and get a new armature plate, that also never happened. I called again this morning and attempted to order the parts, and was told I would receive an invoice via e-mail within the next 30 min or an hour, that was 4 hours ago, still no invoice or contact. The 3S cage by itself isn't listed individually on the website, so I can't just get online and order it, I have to call them to place the order, and they can't even put an order through that way. It's a very ridiculous way to (not) do business. At this point, I am going to call again to attempt to order the upgrade and new plate, purely because I have their output hubs and don't want to pay for an entirely different setup from someone else, but this will be my last business with HD Extreme if I can manage to actually get them to send me the parts, that I'm trying to pay for! This level of issues and failures could be expected from a stock diff in my application...but for "Hard to Kill" expensive diff parts, they did not in anyway live up to expectations or claims. Yes, I'm hard on my diff, but I beat the crap out of the stock diff far more than I have on the HD setup so far, and it held up substantially better. The upgrade to the 3S and new armature plate better solve all these problems.

Anyway, that's my rant and update to the front diff damage, here's some pictures of everything mentioned above, I have many more if there's anything else you guys would like to see or are curious about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Onward now to someone with AMAZING customer service, Erik @SuperATV is getting me setup with a new billet case from them for all this stuff to go back into, so I'll once again have what should be a bulletproof diff, we'll see if HD Extreme's parts can live up to the task this time, I certainly have a greater amount of faith in the case holding up at this point!

In other news, I had to pull my winch out to get to the diff of course, and in the process, I managed to drop it on the concrete floor and break the plastic freespool knob, working on getting a replacement from Mototalliance, they have also been great to deal with about it.

[​IMG]

Outside of the diff, I didn't find any surprises when I tore the front end apart. I verified my alignment settings before I took everything apart, and everything was spot on to how I set it on the last alignment and there's no visible damage to anything in the suspension or steering. The Super ATV A-Arms, Tie Rods, and Ball Joints all held up flawlessly.

Parts in route for repairs:

SATV Billet Diff case

Stage 3S Sprauge Cage and Armature Plate ( Well..hopefully I can manage to get them on the way )

Warranty Replacement Rhino Axle

New Pinion Bearing ( My fault... I destroyed the plastic bearing cage when I pulled the seal out)

New sheet of poly carbonate to build a new windshield ( Old one cracked in the roll, had a small crack in it prior)

New Fender Flair

Mirror Clamp from Seizmik ( Flawless warranty, no questions asked )

I'm kind of at a standstill until I can get the front diff back together as I'll have to move my machine to my buddy's down the road to fix the cage, so I highly doubt I'll get to do any work to it this weekend since I have serious doubt that HD will be able to get my parts by then.