1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Balancing of Primary Clutch

Discussion in 'RZR Nation' started by Levi, Apr 19, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Levi

Levi Levi SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2016 RZR 1000 XP4

Hello all, new to this forum. Had a roller for one of the shift weights go bad on me, so I am taking the clutch apart to replace the serviceable/wear items. Machine is 2016 1000 xp4, has 1800 miles on it now and I bought it with 275 miles. I am new to Polaris clutches, they're a little different than I'm used to. I marked the cap, spider, moveable and stationary sheaths before I began disassembly so it went back the same way it came apart. When taking apart I noticed "x"s in the castings. The cap and spider were off by 120° from each other, and the stationary sheath was off by another 60°. Question is, are those "x"s there for balancing and should I try to line them back up? Or put it back together to the reference lines I made? I am worried the previous owner was in the clutch and reassembled incorrectly. Reason being, the weights are 29-70 and when I was buying them to match what was in the machine, I found that those are not the OEM shift weights. So I am thinking someone has been in the clutch. Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  2. RWB713

RWB713 Richard SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

What model & year is it? I believe those X's are indeed balance marks, They were on my 2012 XP 900 anyway. I think they've quit marking them on the newer models, as my 18 Turbo has no marks at all.

3. Levi

Side X Side(s):

2016 RZR 1000 XP4

I updated the original post I'm sorry I was thinking it would post with my profile info. Machine is a 2016 1000 XP 4

4. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

From a 2015 XP 1000 service manual:

"Using a permanent marker, mark the cover, spider, movable, and stationary sheaves for reference, as the cast in X's may not have been in alignment before disassembly"

I'm sure that probably makes it worse than when you started lol. Chalk that one up to more great Polaris Quality Control.

Seastacker likes this.
  5. Levi

Side X Side(s):

2016 RZR 1000 XP4

Thank you for the very fast response! So I guess put it back where it was. Still makes me nervous because I can see other blue dye marks from before, and they line up with the X's, not the way it it was when I took it apart... Haha. Normally I have shop manuals for all my machines but I have not gotten one for this yet. Maybe I can take it to have balanced eventually. Was trying to get this done today but broke my voice trying to break the spider loose!

6. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

Isn't that spider a fun lil guy? Luckily it's a splined drive on a turbo and it just slips off, but i did still have to deal with that behemoth of a spider nut

It's probably a roll of the dice in your situation without knowing the history, there are places that balance them if you want that added reassurance tho

7. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I looked in the manual for my 2019 General. It says the exact same thing Richards does. I’m thinking the marks you see was someone marking where the X’s were. No clue why they didn’t use them.

32587AF5-56C7-46BD-9EB6-74488FCF628B.jpeg

8. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

WOW!! guess I should look at my manual once and a while, the 30years or so I've been rebuilding Polaris clutches have never seen this, it's always been align the X's, done my 16 a couple of times and never paid attention just used the X, no problems yet. Make sure you have a good holding fixture when doing the spider, rumor has it several have broken the fins on the back, torque is 290ftlbs, I've got a jam nut also that's 250ftlbs.

Seastacker likes this.
  9. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

I built the tool that slips into the fins on the back, to hold the base of the clutch. That tool clamps in the vise. Then I built a separate tool to remove the spider. I thought the spider torque was 190 lb? The last couple spiders I have torqued up I've had to be really careful, because the threads will jump if I put even a little bit of extra torque on the spider. Kind of disgusting in terms of quality. Also Polaris seems to have no problem dumping 5 gallons of Loctite on the threads to hold it in place. As far as balancing goes , I have been just a lining the X up as well. That's about all you can do. Before I knew much about these I just assemble the clutches however, and didn't worry about balancing, and I never had any issues then either! I imagined since most of the weight of the clutch is in the base and the shaft portion which is balanced, putting on the spider and cover incorrectly probably doesn't make a huge difference in balance.