1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Ball joint tool

Discussion in 'Full Size: 700, 800, 2009-2014 Model Years' started by roadkill, Apr 15, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. roadkill

roadkill Scott SXS Nation Regular

I just did highlifter A arms but during the install managed to tear up the ball joint boots on the upper arms trying to press them in. My harbor freight tool was too big and the only socket i had to use in the vise managed to suck the boot in the squared ratchet hole and thus messing them up. The a arms are installed but I know in the near future these new ball joints will give up the ghost due to a bad boot on them. What do ya'll use to press them in/out? Preferably with arm on the SXS. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to take the old arms and start looking at scrap pipe to build my own adapter to use with HF press. I suppose hindsight is 20/20 and I should have done before I started. Live and learn..

2. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Hey Scott-

I've never used a tool to put ball joints in our 800s. Most of the time I put them in when I do A arm bushings on the bench, but there are definitely times that I do them still in-chassis.

For the lowers, I put a block of wood or a jackstand just behind the ball joint so the A arm is supported, then give the ball joint a wack (after removing the snap ring) and it'll come right out..

To install, put the block under the new ball joint, and you can drive the A arm down onto the ball joint by striking it just behind (towards the machine) the ball joint. I usually use a piece of rod, I don't hit it directly with a hammer. greasing them up good helps too!.

Uppers are easier to do, but you will need to unhook the front shock so you can move the A arm around.

This way of doing things might scratch or hurt the paint job on new A arms, so if that's a concern, you'll most likely need to fab some sort of pull/press tool, but this has worked great for me!

Richard Davidson and Jungleman like this.
  3. naylor649

naylor649 Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

2015 Ranger 900XP

Dead blow hammer and a 2x6 is the way I did mine. The exact way fume did it actually.

DieselFume and Richard Davidson like this.
  4. Richard Davidson

Richard Davidson RD Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2009 Arctic Cat Prowler 700 XTX

Always an answer on the forum! Thanks for sharing.

5. roadkill

roadkill Scott SXS Nation Regular

Appreciate the responses. Well hindsight is 20/20. Today I found some scrap and put together a spacer to use with the harbor freight tool. Made two in case one gets lost or grows legs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. offroadohio

offroadohio Donnie Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

2015 Arctic Cat wildcat sport limited

Mine[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Dseldoc likes this.
  7. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI Mid-Size

Nice! I love home made tools. One of these days I will get myself a little wire feed welder.

Richard Davidson likes this.