1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Bearing puller/install kit...

Discussion in 'Ranger Nation' started by alyaz, Apr 4, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. alyaz

alyaz Al SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2011 Polaris Ranger 500EFI

I want to change out the front wheel bearings in my 2011 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI. The fronts are 35mm bearings, or at least that is the size of ‘greaser’ that I bought that fits them.

Being that I don’t have a ‘press,’ would something like this be of value? I do have a large bench vice, but am wondering (after watching some Youtube videos) about getting the old bearings out should there be an issue. One guy had to use his plasma cutter to get an old bearing out, which I do not have...

Again, because I am living remotely / off-grid it is nice to try and be prepared for the unforeseen issues that are sure to appear (for me anyways :)

8milelake 26pc Universal Press and Pull Sleeve Kit for The Removal and Installation of Bushes/Bearings and Seals, Bearing Pullers - Amazon Canada

Thank you.

2. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Sorry I haven't noticed this thread till now Al, but I'll put in my $0.02-

I've never used a pusher puller for doing wheel bearings, mainly because when driving them out, you can't get a puller on the outside race much of the time. There's generally 3 slots you can get a punch on to knock them out once the snap ring is removed. I used to do them with a hammer and punch, now I use an air hammer. I can change a wheel bearing out in a snap with that.

If you cant use an air hammer, then a punch and hammer works good, but many times I can use a large socket over the middle of the bearing and beat on it till either the guts of the bearing get knocked out, or until the bearing falls out. If the guts fall out first, then I go back to the punch/hammer.

The kit listed looks great, but not sure it's necessary for wheel bearing replacement.

The big vice you have is more important in my opinion.

alyaz likes this.
  3. alyaz

Side X Side(s):

Copy, thanks. I do have an air hammer, so maybe I’m good. Guess I just have to hope my bench vice opens up enough...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  4. Curt

Curt Administrator

5. alyaz

Side X Side(s):

I like that. I’d buy that in a second, but with shipping, duties, brokerage fees etc... I may break out the welder today and use that as the ‘idea’ and try not to make a mess...

6. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Getting bearings out to me is easier since you don't have to worry about damaging them or where you pound the hammer at. Wont come out? Get a bigger hammer.
    Getting them in is where I use the press. Slow and controlled. My $100 HF press has come in handy a bunch of times for sure.

Another option that I have read but have yet to try is freezing the bearing overnight before you install it. That can cause it to contract just enough to ease it going in. I have heard of people doing both...freezing the bearing and heating up the hub. It sounds like in some cases the bearings will almost drop in.

Quaddin4real and alyaz like this.
  7. Curt

Curt Administrator

Yeah mine dropped right in by freezing them. Coming out they were a bear.

Seastacker and alyaz like this.
  8. alyaz

Side X Side(s):

Yes, the freezing part sounds like it’s worth doing.

I got a frame built today, just have to try and find some suitable springs etc...

Seastacker likes this.
  9. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Yes the freezer trick works very well, in the old days we would stick them in a snow bank since most of our repairs were done in the winter, my mechanic buddies who don't have time to wait used canned compressed air like you use to dust off electronics, extended spraying produces extreme cold. Not that it matters with this application but I also have a cheap hot plate and a container with oil to drop in for bearings that need to slip over something. since your doing wheel bearings I will suggest that you replace the beveled washers, they are important in that they put a pre-load on the bearings in the right places, or at least get the old ones in right but most will tell you to replace since they loose their spring.

alyaz likes this.
  10. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

The Press would be nice for sure, I should probably get one but just have never really seen the need for one. When I do wheel bearings like Carl said, driving them out you don't have to worry about preserving the bearing , so it's no big deal to beat on them. Going back together you never ever want to hammer on the center portion of a bearing. What I like to do is put the hub on a bench or clamped in a vise. Then use a small piece of thick flat bar laid over the bearing face and hammer on that. Once the bearing reaches the Top of the Hub, I have an old outer bearing race that I keep, I then lay that outer race over top of the new bearing and continue hammering down with a flat bar over top of the old race. That way I am always hitting on the outside bearing race, and never in the center. With some anti seize or penetrating oil on the bearing when you go back together they generally do not go in very hard

alyaz likes this.
  11. Curt

Curt Administrator

I left my bearings in the freezer overnight and they just dropped in..

alyaz and DieselFume like this.
  12. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

I can still see my dad driving a new bearing in with a punch many years ago and chipped it, now this was probably sometime in the 70's, 2 days and $200 later we were using the chipped one to hit on. Today that bearing is 10 times that amount, and that my friends is a life lesson.

alyaz and DieselFume like this.
  13. alyaz

Side X Side(s):

Got my press built. Recycled an old hitch I had on my 1 Ton. Just had to buy the two springs and one piece of 19” channel.

Still waiting for the bearings to arrive though... I’ve been pressing and crushing everything I can find. Press.jpg

DieselFume, Curt and Seastacker like this.
  14. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Dang! Very nice!

alyaz likes this.
  15. Curt

Curt Administrator

Heck yeah! That should work well!

alyaz likes this.
  16. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

Way to DIY it Al!

alyaz likes this.