1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Bearings Tech Tip

Discussion in 'Prowler Nation' started by Richard Davidson, Oct 11, 2016.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Richard Davidson

Richard Davidson RD SXS Nation Insanity

Side X Side(s):

2009 Arctic Cat Prowler 700 XTX

Recently replaced the crankshaft and bearing on my Prowler. SKF has several notices available for viewing on the do's, and don'ts of heating bearings. They recommend heating the bearing up to no more than 257 F, and they stress not to use a torch, or open flame as it localizes the heat. I use a common oven to heat up my parts. The aluminum crankcases are subject to cracking if care is not taken during bearing install or removal.

2. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Yikes! I didn't realize that the bearing installation on those things was so critical?

Good information on heating the bearings. Many folks in the heavy equipment side use an induction heater to heat bearings for installation. the rest of us common folks will have to be happy with an oven!

Richard Davidson likes this.
  3. Richard Davidson

Side X Side(s):

Those cases are a matched set, they go for 900.00 - 1,200.00 dollars new! Used ones fetch around 300.00! Either way it is a good size bite if you FUBAR one!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    DieselFume likes this.
  4. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

I have a single burner and use a pan filled with oil and a cooking thermometer, but be careful and don't forget about it...:rolleyes:.

Richard Davidson likes this.
  5. Richard Davidson

Side X Side(s):

Another great method!

6. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

As long as you keep the pan for bacon separate!