1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Belt wear

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by mkp777, Oct 20, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. mkp777

mkp777 Mike SXS Nation Regular

Hi,

I have a 2019 General 4 1000 EPS.
    My typical driving is:
    Down to town which is about 70% dirt road and 30% blacktop. I keep it in one wheel on pavement.
    The trip down to town is about 10 miles. When on dirt road I get to around 40-50mph. On black top its more like 25-35 at max.
    The rest is in the yard on the property, crawling over terrain. When I get into rocky broken terrain, I pick and crawl through it.
    I don't want to abusive to shocks and suspension.

That being said;
    About how long will a belt last me?
    I've had it a year and just did a service for it.

I do in the future want to try descending very steep hills but I really don't know how steep of a hill I can descend without it being dangerous. There is a very steep grade in my back yard that goes down to a dirt road. That dirt road can be driven on back to the top and its gradual.
    I don't have the nerve yet to try and crawl down that hill.
    I'm still very inexperienced with this.

Thanks for the information,

M

Rhoda Mule likes this.
  2. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron Moderator

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

I had stock belt on mine till I put clutch kit in and changed my belt then, Didn't need to change it still looked new. and now is my backup belt. as long as you are easy on it should last 2 maybe 3 thousand miles or more just check it every so often!

3. mkp777

Thanks Ronnie!

M

4. Rhoda Mule

Rhoda Mule Gary SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT ESP My first Side X Side was a 551 Sheridan

Hi Mike. Replying to your concern on belt life I have approached this from a different direction. I am running a Razorback Technology drive belt temp. gauge for a year now. This has taught me what causes belt high temp. and how to avoid it. I have just returned from running the deep sand trails in Baldwin with four large adults in my mule. The gauge is one of the best investments I have made for the mule. RM

Jungleman likes this.
  5. mkp777

How is that installed?
    I'm all about instrumentation!

6. Rhoda Mule

Side X Side(s):

upload_2019-11-3_23-22-10.jpeg

If you see the round gauge in the center of the pic., you are looking at the Razorback Technology's cvt belt temp. while on the trail ride. The gauge lights up green, yellow, and red. If it is green then all is good, yellow you are approaching red, red you are damaging your belt. So to answer your question, You need to cut two round holes. One hole is for the gauge and the other is for the belt temp sensor which is mounted on the cvt belt cover. The sensor is gives you real time belt temp.. One wire runs from the sensor to the gauge with the other to the keyed switch that turns on the SxS. Another advantage of Razorback's gauge is you learn how to drive the SxS better. Last if you have been driving the vehicle long enough to know what temp. is right for the condition and you are driving and you are seeing higher temps. than normal, you are most likely to be in the market for a new belt or you are driving with the emergency brake on! PS the gauge comes with good instructions and Razorback will help you as if you are family.

Jungleman likes this.
  7. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

My experience with belt life on Polaris Rangers in the last six or seven years, would tell me that you should expect at least five thousand miles out of the drive belt Maybe more depending on how hard you are on it. Not sure if the 1000 cc engine will take more life off of it, but I'm pretty sure they probably upgraded the clutch and belt to withstand the power

8. mkp777

Yeah its the 1000 and I do try to be careful.
    I don't rash and bash through the terrain. If I go through anything like terrain, I crawl.
    I will definitely check out that belt temp gauge when I have the time/vacation to install it.
    Thanks guys!

9. Rhoda Mule

Side X Side(s):

Some things that drive belt temp up may not be what you would think. Michigan has a 25 mph top speed for sxs's. Driving a constant speed of 25mph drove the temp into the 190's , while varying speed cooled the belt. This is just one thing of many my gauge has tough me. RM

10. Quaddin4real

Quaddin4real Jason SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2005 Polaris Ranger 700 xp efi

Rhoda Mule likes this.
  11. Rhoda Mule

Side X Side(s):

Jason thank you very much for this. This will be my new winter project. R M

12. mkp777

There is times I have to drive down to town. There is about 2 miles of black top I'm driving on at about 50.
    Other times I'm doing 50 for about 2 minutes or so over a long flat dirt road.
    Is going fast in this going to drive up belt temps?
    What about in low gear, 4X4 but going up a very steep hill?

13. mkp777

Speaking of hills, I don't know what the limit is of steep I can descend a hill without worrying about something bad happening. I guess I can't figure out how to express how steep the hill is in my back yard but its so steep that I have to be very careful walking down it. I can grab weeds on my way down to steady myself. I also have to walk with my feet sort of side ways to control my descent.
    This is terrain. Its grassy but there are rocks sticking out of the dirt here and there.
    I'd like to try going down that hill. But I'm too chicken to try, I don't know how steep of hill the General 1000 4 can do.
    What should I watch out for and is there a way to prepare. Or should I just not attempt it?
    I don't think anything could get back up the hill but there is a way back up via a trail that goes a mile out of the way. So I can get back up that way. Most of this is just curiosity.
    Thanks,
    M

14. Rhoda Mule

Side X Side(s):

Mike I work on the idea: ( if it is doubtful, don't do it). The more you use your SxS the more you will learn. Skill in driving takes time in the seat. Going on trail drives with experienced drivers helps a lot. R M

15. Quaddin4real

Quaddin4real Jason SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2005 Polaris Ranger 700 xp efi

No problem, it's still a good idea to try and filter the intake side to keep the dirt buildup down.

Rhoda Mule likes this.