1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Best Bang For Buck on Used SXS

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by jp60, Aug 14, 2016.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. jp60

jp60 jeff SXS Nation Regular

Looking for a good used side by side to plow snow with and run up and down on the road with. I an new to these so I am looking for input on what brand and size I should look for without spending a lot for no more than I plan on using it

2. mtimesplitter167

mtimesplitter167 Mike SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2012 ranger 800 xp le

Welcome to the Nation Jeff.

3. wgarcar1

wgarcar1 ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2018 polaris ranger 900 XP

welcome to the nation Jeff!

for the money, lb. for lb. , all around, the polaris xp 900 is the one to go with, in my opinion.

4. Steve

Steve SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2014 900 deluxe

Welcome Jeff. I have a 2014 900 for sale w snow plow. Go to the for sale section, there are pictures in it of my Ranger.

5. jp60

Thanks for the update but do I need one this big for no more than what I want it for

6. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

The 900's are sweet, but honestly, a lot of guys plow with the 400/500/570 rangers with good success. They move down the road just fine too. I have never plowed with my 500 personally, but Ive never felt it had a lack of power.

7. GaryL

GaryL Gary Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900 Crew

I plowed for years with my 2003 Polaris Ranger 500. I have a large driveway and it got the job done just fine. The problem with these Rangers is that they are so much fun that you will soon find yourself doing far more that what you originally thought. I bought my first one with the intention of using it to toss bales of hay over the fence to my horses. Next thing I knew my wife was using it for gardening and yard work. Then we discovered the joy of trail riding and that opened up a whole new world of fun!

I only say this, so that you might buy your first one with options for the future.

8. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Gary offers some great advice! This is very true. We bought the mid-size 500 a few years ago and it has been great, but we are already looking at bigger/ faster, etc.

9. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

I can't speak for any of the other brands, but I do know if you're thinking of buying used, there is far more Polaris machines out there with varying degrees o use and more parts/accessory options.

A midsize is big enough to plow with, some people plow with the 4 wheeler :D Power will not be an issue, but traction always is regardless of what you plan on using. I know last year you could get into a full size 570 (old 800 chassis) for less than $10K new. your used options would be almost endless!

10. jp60

Thanks for all the info this is very helpful in building my knowledge on side by sides

11. jmarco89

jmarco89 Justin SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2016 Mule ProFX EPS Black

Welcome to the site. Like the guys have said its more of a traction issue then power. I've got a buddy the uses his Polaris sportsman 400 in Oklahoma to plow his driveway with zero issues. If your looking for something new and to use it for strictly plowing snow and maybe some yard work here and there any of the lower power side by sides will do. No need for a 900 or 1000 class vehicle. Check out the Honda p500, Polaris ranger 500 and 570, and also the Kawasaki SX. Many many options out there. Good luck with whatever you choose

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    BuckChain570 likes this.
  12. Chiefmorton

Chiefmorton Brian SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2016 Velocity blue Polaris ranger crew 900

Welcome to the nation sounds like a Ranger 570 and a 72" plow would fit the bill for what you're wanting to do. My brother inlaw recently purchased a 570 it's a runner plenty of power and torque.

13. jp60

Thanks again for the info this is really helpful

14. BuckChain570

BuckChain570 Buck SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2014 Polaris Ranger 570

Welcome. A Polaris Ranger 570 (midsize or full) is the best bang for your buck. Good luck on your choice and look forward to hearing what you select

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Richard Davidson

Richard Davidson RD SXS Nation Insanity

Side X Side(s):

2009 Arctic Cat Prowler 700 XTX

Welcome to the Nation Jeff! Once someone gets a SXS for work, the playtime takes over! Lot of good used machines out there!

16. jp60

Who makes the most reliable side by side

17. wgarcar1

wgarcar1 ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2018 polaris ranger 900 XP

@Jungleman

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

18. BuckChain570

BuckChain570 Buck SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2014 Polaris Ranger 570

I think they are all reliable as long as you maintain them properly. There is the Japanese crowd that will argue Honda, Yamaha and Kawi are the most reliable but I have seen real world examples where that's not the case. There are some very high mileage Polaris out there that are still going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. jmarco89

jmarco89 Justin SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2016 Mule ProFX EPS Black

You will open a can of worms with that question. Like @BuckChain570 said. It's all about maintenance. As long as you take care of your things and treat them correctly you shouldn't have any issues. Manufactures today have really stepped up their games and are producing some great products no matter who you choose. I'm still a die hard Polaris fan but have recently switched to the Kawasaki. I have nothing bad to say about either. They both fit my needs perfectly but I was ready for something a little different.

Why don't you tell us which machines you are considering and we can give some insight on each. Tell you goods and bads and help you narrow your choices down a little bit

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    DieselFume and BuckChain570 like this.
  20. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Well, that's kinda like asking if ford chevy or dodge is more reliable than each other to a group of truck enthusiasts.

Many people can argue the ups and downs of each brand, few people ever own a side by side long enough to know how really reliable they are before they trade.

Much depends on the conditions they are run in, how hard they are used, and the amount of miles/hours driven.

Red Rooster, CFDTuc and Curt like this.