1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Best Unit for Plowing

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by nealalsup, Oct 11, 2020.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Tags:
  1. nealalsup

nealalsup Neal SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

n/a

Hi all -
    I'm new to the SXS world and am looking to buy a used 2 seat UTV for plowing in the winter. I really like the Ranger 500, but the belt drive makes me nervous if/when pushing heavy snow. Do you all have recommendations for make/model best to plow? Thanks - N

2. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I plowed the crap out of the snow with my Ranger 500. I plowed in low gear and never had an issue at all. I found the short wheel base was great for maneuvering. I wish I had had power steering with the added weight of the plow up front though. I did add a couple sand bags to the bed for a bit of extra traction.
    I had a you tube video of the Ranger plowing. Let me see if I can find it.

3. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Here you go. It was a Polaris poly plow. It worked well on that little Ranger. I never felt any lack of power at all. That 500 has plenty of grunt. The video is about 6" of average snow. I went around and did a few of the neighbors as well as our drive. You will make plenty of friends having a little plow set up like this.
    I plow now with my General 4 which also works very well, but I miss the maneuverability of the Ranger.

4. nealalsup

nealalsup Neal SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

n/a

Thanks so much for the info - super helpful. Wouldn't have thought about the power steering with the weight of the plow.
    Great video....you move a fair amount of snow. And great tune to go with the video at the end!

5. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

No problem. It was just me messing with and learning how to video edit, lol. I did air the front tires up to the max which did help a little with steering effort, but if you have an option for power steering, its one of those options that you don't "need", but once you have it you wont live without.

Quaddin4real likes this.
  6. Quaddin4real

Quaddin4real Jason SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2005 Polaris Ranger 700 xp efi

Those Kubota diesels utv's are heavy and heavy duty. They are hydrostatic so you get instant torque. But if you're looking for something to also play with then that would definitely not be it. You almost never have to use the brakes, being hydrostatic it stops really quick when you just let off the throttle.

Seastacker likes this.
  7. Mudder

Mudder David SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Pioneer 400, Polaris Ace 570

Honda Pioneer 500. Best bang for the buck. Thinking the MSRP on original model just dropped to $8500 due to new 2021 model with dump bed. 5 speed gear drive. Added aftermarket power steering to mine.

Seastacker likes this.
  8. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

I have a Kymco 450i, that I plow snow with, 4wd is the key to plowing along with some aggressive tires. As Carl mentioned all plowing should be done in low range !!
    My machine has over 3000 miles with the original belt, if used properly a belt should not be an issue. Keep in mind a new belt is far less costly than rebuilding a mechanical transmission !

Seastacker likes this.
  9. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

10. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Pede likes this.