1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to take care of your belt

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by jmarco89, Aug 17, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

1. jmarco89

jmarco89 Justin SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2016 Mule ProFX EPS Black

So I blew the belt up on my mule today. Second time in over 150 hours. It's been to the dealer and they can't find anything wrong. So the obvious is it must be me and they way I'm using it. Occasional trailer pulling and most of the time 1000 pounds of corn or protein in the bed. I do also make some high speed runs (45 mph) for 10-20 minutes at a time. Other then that I absolutely do not abuse it at all.

So it's got me thinking. What's the best way to make a belt really last?

Looking into belt temp guages as well as blower fans to push fresh air in. Is there any other options out there available to make the belt last longer

2. Ken

Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2013 Ranger XP 900 Sunset Red LE. 2009 Ranger 700 XP Sunset Red

Justin, that does seem like a very early belt failure! I would do some research and see what others that have the Mule have done. Sounds like your Mule is a work horse. I don't know much about the Mule or the kind of environment you are running in but from what you are telling us you are moving heavy loads a lot. If you have the option to use a lower gear that might be one solution to help against belt slippage. High speed driving for long distances would build up a lot of heat on the belt as well if you are carrying that heavy load for the greater distance. I have a 2013 Polaris Ranger XP LE with a Dura-Clutch and I use mine for both play and utility around our acres. I have almost a 1000 hours on the belt and the last inspection showed it to be in good condition and still serviceable. I hope you can find a good solution for your belt failures for I know belts aren't cheap!

3. jmarco89

Side X Side(s):

Yes it did seem pretty early to me to. That's why I took it to the dealer while I still have the warranty thinking there might be something wrong that I couldn't see or find. They went over it and gave me the okay.

I should have specified. When running 45 I'm empty. Maybe a cooler in the bed and a few tools but nothing over probably 150 pounds. The only time I load up with 1000 pounds I'm cruising around in low gear with a maybe 10 mph top speed. So nothing crazy when I have the weight.

First belt (factory) was at 27 hours. After that one went I switched to a gates carbon fiber ($145) thinking it would be better. Well here I am approaching 200 hours and the gates has gave out. I'm going back to the 50 dollar kawi factory belts for now. Hope I can get this figured out before I shred another

4. jmarco89

Side X Side(s):

I'm planning on running a belt temp guage soon. My question is which is better/more reliable.

Found one from razorback USA but at $225 it's pretty steep. Digital display with a infrared sensor that points directly at the belt to get an extremely accurate reading. Badass product but pricey

Or just get an old fashion one that just reads air temp inside the cvt cover. Obviously not near as accurate but should give me a decent idea of what's going on. Pick one of these up for $50 or less

Any other options available?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  5. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

One of the guys that rides a lot with my group or riding buddy's has a artic cat 1000 and was going threw belts about 3 to 4 hundred miles. could find anything wrong with clutches or anything got one of the fans that go inline with the fresh air duct and is at 730 miles on the last belt and still going strong so the do work!

6. tims900xp

tims900xp Tim SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2016 Ranger 900 XP LE

Justin, it looks like your mule uses the same type of clutch that my prairie 650 uses. My first belt only lasted a few hrs and started slipping. Dealer rolled on a new belt but it slipped also shortly after. So I bought a service manual, and followed its directions on setting belt deflection. After I changed the shims in the driven clutch, belt has ran for several thousand miles. I've had to remove shims a time of two (to make belt tighter) but still on same belt. Dealer didn't bother to check deflection.

jmarco89 and Ken like this.
  7. jmarco89

Side X Side(s):

Tim you are probably right. I bought a service manual when I bought the mule. Just hate going through it since it's a PDF file and not paperback. I'll have to check the shims out. Thanks for the heads up

8. jmarco89

Side X Side(s):

Exactly what I was thinking. An inline blower fan would keep the air moving. I assume he has it on his inlet side? Also do you know if he has it on a switch or does it have constant keyed power

9. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Something has to be off in your belt setup.!

You should be getting hundred of hours and thousands of miles out of the belts! I'm not familiar with how Kawasaki sets theirs up, but I know on the Polaris side if belt alignment is not correct the system will have issues.

I know of a couple people up my way that are running the new mules and have hundreds of hours on them with no issues at all. Which doesn't help you much except to know that that's what yours "Should" be doing.

I think I'd throw a fit at the dealer myself. I the machine's covered, they need to make it right. I probably would have gotten pretty testy when the first belt broke at 27 hours.

I'm not sure about a blower, you system should be moving enough air on it's own to keep the CVT cool..... If you have belt engagement issues, all the cooling in the world won't fix that. Need to find the root cause that you have IMO.

10. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Make sure you break-in the new belt, can't remember where I read it(owners manual?) or my dealer told me and also can't remember what I did exactly but involved short spurts gradually increasing speed and duration with ample cool down in between.

jmarco89 likes this.
  11. jmarco89

Side X Side(s):

I'm picking it back up from the dealer today. I'll keep you guys posted. And try and post pics of the old belts if I can find them

I was pissed when the first one broke. In central Texas 45 minutes walking back to my truck to get a trailer then another 2 hours to get to the closest dealer to pickup a belt. It was my only option at the time. But now here we go again just shy of 200 hours. I agree with you guys I think something is out of whack

12. jmarco89

Side X Side(s):

Alright guys here is 4 pictures front back and both sides all of the same belt. This was at 27 hours. What do you guys think? Also this is a Kawasaki oem belt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

He has it wired to key when its on it runs

jmarco89 likes this.
  14. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Do what I do, open the file and find the pages your looking for then print them off and put them in a loose leaf notebook for future reference. Did that for a year on my online manual until they came out with a hard copy.

jmarco89 likes this.
  15. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Sides of the belt are worn more on the inside than the outside edges. Appears to be wrong angle on belt faces or wrong angles on clutch faces to match belt. Everything has a tolerance on it so mabey the belt is on one side of tolerance and the clutch faces on the other side of tolerance. Other thing could be clutches are not opening and closing at the same rate causing uneven wear on belt faces. Kawasaki belts are normally one of the better belts out there because they are Kevlar material and typically wear like iron. That belt does not look that bad so is it is slipping you have a clutch problem and yes that might be a shim issue.

jmarco89 and Rockin Ronnie like this.
  16. jmarco89

Side X Side(s):

I'm still some what young but I like the old school ways I guess. Love bound copies of manuals. That's good advice. I may just print the whole damn thing lmao

17. jmarco89

Side X Side(s):

So the belt I posted pics of was never actually slipping. The one that just gave out on me was at about 200 hours.

The only issue I was really having with that one was at times it was extremely hard to get into gear. Coming out of gear was fine. The shifter would not move at all. I would have to raise the rpms slightly in order to get it into whatever gear I needed

I've heard nothing but good things about the kawi belts. So I was really surprised to have issues so early on. Just put a new belt on again so I'll check it in 30 hours again and see if it looks the same as the other

poorboy1964 likes this.
  18. Pede

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

I'd say your primary and secondary are not lined up correctly, this will cause more wear on one side and also put resistance on the secondary making it hard to shift, that's my guess.

19. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Sounds about right or you could have some damaged springs inside the clutch or other problem that does not allow the two clutches to act together. I have heard of shifting issues if one or the other clutch does not react to the opposite one.

20. Pede

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

I'm not sure of kawi's but you may have washers behind the secondary, these washers are used to align it to the primary, needs to be perfectly centered.