1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to take care of your belt

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by jmarco89, Aug 17, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

When I did my clutch kit I found my clutches were misaligned. Never blew a belt, but did have to take a couple of the washers out from behind the secondary.

Jungleman and jmarco89 like this.
  2. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Also check the width of the worn belt, Kawi has a dimension for overall belt width. If your is still within specs then you have a shim issue on your clutches.

jmarco89 likes this.
  3. jmarco89

jmarco89 Justin SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2016 Mule ProFX EPS Black

Good info. I'll check it out in the morning after I find my micrometer and compare to the new belt I just put on

4. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

So is the drive belt getting a pretty clean snap where it broke? I'm thinking it's more of a misalignment issue as well.

5. Curt

Curt Administrator

I agree with the guys, its likely an alignment issue. The high speed runs, combined with an alignment issue would make a whole lot of heat.

6. race2win01

race2win01 Brad SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2016 Ranger XP900 hunter edition

Screenshot_20170901-063039.png FB_IMG_1498176528253.jpg I am a little late to the party on this discussion, but, I will attach a screenshot of the break-in procedure from Gates & a pic of the belt number I run of theirs on my '16 Ranger 900xp.
    I have had no problems with that belt from Gates.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    jmarco89 likes this.
  7. Limo Driver

Limo Driver Fred Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

2014 Polaris Ranger 570 Crew

I am even later to the party, but I purchased the cheapest water temp gauge i could find on Amazon and installed the sending unit on the CVT discharge tube. It is very interesting to see what actually raises the belt temp while we are out riding.

3200 miles and counting on my factory belt

race2win01 and Rockin Ronnie like this.
  8. steven yongsma

steven yongsma steven SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

can-am maverick Kubota RTV900

After looking at your photos it looks like you are burning the belt on take off . I have done it myself loading a ski-doo on a trailer and rock crawling with a fourwheeler need to get it moving as easy as you can to avoid damaging to the belt .

9. WagZ

WagZ WagZ Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2016 Teryx4 LE

Proper break-in is a good way to get a belt seasoned for use, but think about it.. how many folks out there actually do it? not to many.. It'll help prevent failure in the long run, but boys, he's talking a few belts within a few hundred miles..

You got issues J, either its outta line or your got internal problems on the clutches. Check it over with a fine tooth comb, you'll find the issue. Also, go back to the OEM belt, I dont prefer aftermarket myself. haha

Seastacker likes this.
  10. jmarco89

Side X Side(s):

Should have reported back with an update. I’m on belt #3 which is an oem belt. Everything seems to be holding up well with no issues so far. Take off is very smooth. No slipping or that burnt belt smell that I can tell. Little over 1000 miles now.

Shortly after this I posted about my problems I upgraded to arched arms and 32x10x14 tires. Obviously the extra rolling mass isn’t good for a belt. Keeping an eye on my current belt. Once it goes I’ll replace it with another OEM and while I’m in there I’ll be adding an EPI clutch kit to give me a little power back. Thanks for the reply’s. Must have just been a fluke thing I guess. Still researching belt temp guages to help out while running the 32s

Attached Files:

Seastacker likes this.
  11. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

Just my opinion but, I have gone through about 4 belts in two years. I added a Blow-hole blower to the back side of the clutch vent hose. Hoping this will reduce the amount of heat in the clutch box. My Ranger sounds like a turbo now but it is amazing how much hot air comes out. After shut down it turn the switch back on without starting the engine.

Amazon.com: MTNTK PERFORMANCE 10055 BLOW HOLE POLARIS RANGER 900/1000 '13-'17: Automotive

jmarco89 and Ken like this.
  12. Ken

Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2013 Ranger XP 900 Sunset Red LE. 2009 Ranger 700 XP Sunset Red

It sure does displace the heat in the cvt box. With the engine off and the fan running it reminds me of a turbine engine aircraft on the ramp spooling up for take off :)

13. jmarco89

Side X Side(s):

Any particular reason to run it on the back side. Rather then the front side blowing fresh air in?

14. Rhoda Mule

Rhoda Mule Gary SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT ESP My first Side X Side was a 551 Sheridan

I have a Mule Pro FXT EPS that is 3yrs old. I blew a belt the 2nd year after riding Hatfield McCoy for a week. I have talked to factory personnel about this problem, and they clamed that if was a defective belt and not a known problem. You guys have got me wondering. Thanks very much for this post. RM

jmarco89 likes this.
  15. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

The installation instructions for the "Blow-Hole" fan indicate that is where to put it. I would have like to put it on the front side of the clutch box but there was no room. If you put one on the front take pictures.

jmarco89 likes this.
  16. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Wow,
    I pretty much don't follow any of those guidelines from Gates!

The only thing I worry about is when it's very cold in winter time I avoid putting alot of power to it until I've had time to put around a bit and warm the belt up.

I can't remember the last time I've changed a polaris belt with less than 600 hours on it, and it's usually closer to 900 or more.

Definitely have come a long way since the old 700s

Rockin Ronnie likes this.