1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Beware of cracked frame

Discussion in 'Ranger Nation' started by Robert Barrett, Feb 15, 2020.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Robert Barrett

Robert Barrett SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris Ranger 900 XP Glass tip out windshield w/factory wiper-washer, Glacier Pro hyd. lift and turn plow, poly back window, Polaris soft cab with Poly sport roof, factory heat/defrost

I just wanted to share my problem and make you aware of this.

Last Monday I was doing snow cleanup again and started hearing what I thought was a CV or U joint when moving forward.
    Put it on the lift and started looking around shaking, turning drive shafts and noticed that the front joint on the drive shaft going to the front diff. had a couple of shiny spots on the yoke.
    Looking further I found that the yoke was hitting the frame and discovered the root cause.
    The frame was torn out where the 2 front bolts hold the diff. to the frame because the front diff was moving flexing the mounting point
    What I think happened is : while in low and in 4wd with the plow blade down and packing snow banks it created a high torque situation and over the years that area became very stressed and flexing it finally gave out .
    I went over to my neighbor and he took the broken piece out and mig welded in a new patch and added a extra cross piece to distribute the stress point out further.

The other alternative is to replace the frame

The bottom line is: If you are stuck in mud, snow packing snow banks in low and 4wd a lot, pay close attention to where the front diff. bolts to the frame.
    look for any cracks near where it bolts in and the close surrounding area.

Pictures of the repair, I also added a rib across just behind the front bolts. 2x4 inch piece broke completely off, cut a new plate and welded in.
    The 1st picture :
    Green arrow shows front of vehicle and the red arrow shows rib added
    2nd picture shows :
    The red circle is the plate that was welded in replacing piece broken out.
    red line indicated second crack that was repaired
    yellow line is to show added rib

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  2. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

The thing about snow, when it starts packing into cracks and crevices it just keeps getting tighter, mud doesn't react the same. When your done plowing do you put it into a heated garage?

3. Robert Barrett

Robert Barrett SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris Ranger 900 XP Glass tip out windshield w/factory wiper-washer, Glacier Pro hyd. lift and turn plow, poly back window, Polaris soft cab with Poly sport roof, factory heat/defrost

After every plow trip it is parked in a radiant heated garage set at 58*F
    I really don't think it is from snow packing into the frame ( If that's what you mean by your comment )

I can almost guarantee this is from trying to push snow and front wheels lock in and not being able to move forward trying repeatedly to do it over and over.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020