1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Buying some land, could use some opinions on sxs or ATV

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Advie, Jul 23, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Advie

Advie Mike SXS Nation Rookie

Howdy all,

We are buying 5 acres in Texas and I am looking to get a UTV/ATV to help with some things out there. Plan on putting a house out there. 2 acres is wooded, 3 acres of pasture with mountain cedars thrown around. Creek runs the width of the property as well, dry right now but runs most of the year.

Looking to get something to pull a brush cutter with, use to ride around (house will be towards back of property so getting mail etc), haul various stuff around the property, potentially feed for animals, wood that is cut etc. Basic utility stuff.

I don't think I need a tractor for what I have in mind, but a UTV/ATV would come in handy. Leaning towards the UTV so the wife and dog can come with and having the sun protection while pulling the brush mower would be nice.

I am not looking for anything fast, I have motorcycles to scratch that itch. I'd like to stay south of 10k, but am a little flexible on that. The Polaris Ranger 570 looks pretty good, but I hear good and bad about Polaris.

Any recommendations, or input would be much appreciated. I had 4 wheelers as a kid, and have never had a sxs, so am not biased towards anything.

Thanks much!

2. Railroad Man

Railroad Man Monte SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2018 CF Moto 800EX

Im really, really new with my SXS but the CF Moto I have is quite a machine, Mine has grease fittings on alot of the suspension parts so if you do get it all slopped up a few shots with the grease gun and anything inside is pushed out. Some of the maintenance items I dont like, such as the oil filler cap, at least on mine, you will need your kid to reach in and unscrew. But its built fairly heavy duty and if you compare prices to what comes standard vs optional it looks pretty good or so I thought. If you have a dealer in your area it sure wouldnt hurt to check it out. I did go for the sport model over the utility one in the end, as no matter what I do to it the old Honda Rancher just wont die so that still does the work and the Moto is just for play....Good Luck !!

3. Advie

I appreciate the feedback.

4. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

You have a lot of searching and test driving to do. While recomendations are good it is your money and your machine and your comfort. 5 acers isnt that much, that is what I have and my SxS gets around that very quickly. Mine is strictly a utility machine but it has a nice ride and the bench seat is comfy and much easier to get in and out of for chores. 80% for work and 20% for play. I have a Kymco 450i, a small SxS but an extremely hard worker and will go anywhere with 4wd and diff lock. Does well trail riding as we are more scenery riders than speed riders. I have had my machine for 3 + yrs and 1100+ miles with O issues. They have the lowest number of consumer complaints per 100 machines produced of any manufacturer period! How ever you should always try b4 you buy so it suits your needs! Good luck and keep us up to date.....

5. Advie

I hadn't heard of Kymco before, but they have a lot of stuff that looks good. Like you said, 5 acres isn't much so I just need something to help haul stuff around. I like the smaller footprint, that is one thing I liked about the little Honda, we have a lot of trees so it seems better for that terrain. I'll have to find a local dealer and add the Kymco to the list.

I appreciate the input!

6. kscfire

kscfire Paul Event Coordinator

Side X Side(s):

2017 Polaris General Ride Command Edition

DieselFume runs the Polaris 570 Rangers, extensively. He did a couple of videos on the Pros and Cons of them, here's the link. He may join in and give you current info. You're going about this in a good way, get first person feedback and also, go out and test drive them. Good luck with your choice.

Polaris Ranger 570 FS Review | Side X Side Nation

Seastacker and Rockin Ronnie like this.
  7. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron Moderator

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Best advise is go out and drive what you think will fit your needs sometimes a short ride will give a good idea of what you like and don't !

8. Advie

Went and test drove the Kawasaki Mule 4010 and the Polaris Ranger 570 full size today.

I watched Diesel fume's Youtube videos about the 570 and they were excellent.

The mule was very impressive with its build and addressed a lot of the issues from the video. The Mule's air intake is up high (since my wife watched the videos she is obsessed with the air intake locations, its funny), and they had protection in front of the wheels to keep them from throwing stuff up under the machine. The engine is right under the dump bed and easy to access. Huge service hours (every 250 hrs or 3000 miles or yearly for oil change), and a 3 year warranty standard. All things I really liked. Less plastic and more metal too. It was slower than the Polaris, but I am not looking for a hot rod, I have motorcycles if I want to go fast. I think he said it would get to about 20mph max. Plenty for my little plot of land. Seems like a 90% work oriented machine, which is what I am looking for. Huge bed as well. Didn't tow as much or hold as much, but should be plenty.

I liked the Ranger, the power was nice. If I had a larger piece of land (much larger) that could come in handy. It seemed smoother than the Honda Pioneer, but I didn't drive them on the same day, and we drove these two off road a bit since this dealer had a little offroad track to drive around and the Pioneer was in a parking lot.

Right now I am leaning towards the mule. I need to look into the fine print of the 3 year warranty.

I still want to check out Kymco, but the dealer near me doesn't open until 11am.

If anyone has any recommendations or first hand account of any of the machines mentioned I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks everyone!

9. Rhoda Mule

Rhoda Mule Gary SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT ESP My first Side X Side was a 551 Sheridan

Mike ask your dealer to let you drive a Kawasaki Mule PRO FXT. I bought mine in 2015, Would do it again in a NY Minute. R M

10. Advie

I saw some great deals on the pros from another dealer nearby and plan on checking them out as well.

I appreciate it!

Rhoda Mule likes this.
  11. Rhoda Mule

Rhoda Mule Gary SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT ESP My first Side X Side was a 551 Sheridan

You are most welcome!

12. Mudder

Mudder David SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Pioneer 400, Polaris Ace 570

Have similar property and chore use. Look at the Honda Pioneer 500 with true 5 speed gear transmission, manual paddle shift or automatic modes. 1st gear pulls trailer with 275 gallon water tote fine. Going on 3 years of work and trail riding fun, easy in and out bench seat. Added aftermarket Power Steering. Also have a Honda Rancher atv and Polaris Ace, but for daily workhorse or 2 person rides, the Honda P500 design and dependability is hard to beat.

13. FloridaAl

FloridaAl Alec SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris Ranger 900XP; (2011 Browning Ranger 800EPS, SOLD; 2005 Ranger 500, SOLD.)

I've owned both Mahindra UTV and Polaris Rangers.
    I checked out Mules and the Honda line, too, but never owned them. Because I've got bum legs, ease of getting in and out was a real consideration for me. The Honda's got eliminated for me based on them being annoying for me to slip in and out. The Mule was neat but the seat back was too straight and personally uncomfortable. I've gone thru a Ranger 500, 700 and now a 900. Couldn't be happier. It will go anywhere. I make sure all the maintenance is done and I've never had a serious issue. (My "old" 2004 500 had the old bushings on the suspension and they would wear quickly, but that issue seems solved on the newer models.)
    I reviewed the units that would do the work, confirmed they all were reasonable with no devastating reviews, and went with what was comfortable. Like you, I don't need the adrenalin from my SXS, just work, fun and comfort. Take your time and get what fits you and your family.

14. Advie

Well I went and drove the Mule Pro-MX today, and I think we have a winner. Its roomy enough to be comfortable, has good clearance, suspension was plush. I love the service intervals, and the price was lower than anything else we have looked at.

Now I need a trailer for it so I can take it down to our land until we build on it and it lives there full time. That's a whole 'nother rabbit hole. And then its on to zero turn mowers...

Thanks everyone for the input. When I buy it and get some time with it I'll post an update with how I feel about it then.

Rhoda Mule and Seastacker like this.
  15. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron Moderator

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

the Zero turn is easy john deere Z950M and never buy another mower!

16. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Let us know when you end up getting it. The Kaw sounds like a good choice for your application. I love the warranty and how heavy they are built.

17. Advie

I hope I never have to mow enough grass to make that Deere cost efficient! hah

I am thinking something to mow a little yard and a couple cows or sheep for the rest. :)

Will do Seastacker. As soon as I make some room in the garage I'll get a trailer and the Mule. I want it ASAP.