1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Camper

Discussion in 'Trucks, Trailers, & RV's' started by DieselFume, Sep 9, 2018.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

My family (mostly wife), has been buggin me about getting a camper. My brother has one they take to the lake a couple times a summer, and I think my wife is a little jealous.

I'm not against it, but feel that the maintenance, upkeep and such would make it just another chore for me. Not to mention for myself that I just don't see much of the excitement about parking next to someone else in a strange place for the night, but maybe it's just me.

A neighbor of mine said they are going to put theirs up for sale and asked us about being interested. it's a mid 90s bumper pull, has 2 bunk beds in the back, table/chairs fold into a bed, also the couch, and has a queen in the front. Would sleep all 6 of us. Think it's around 28/30 feet long, but has the lighter axles, so should be around that 5500lb range.

I'd really like to be able to pull it with my 2005 suburban, which is only around 325hp, but I feel is within it's range in terms of being able to pull it. I'd like to use the suburban mainly because we can unhook and still have our family car that we can go bomb around in. A 4 door pickup is tight and only getting tighter as the kids are growing.. Might have to get some sort of helper spring, but I think it can pull it?

Most of the places we'd consider going would be inside of 100 miles.

Everything in the camper works, and is clean inside (belongs to a carpenter) Tanks are up to date and has been recently used (not worried about surprises.

Mostly worried about is it a good purchase, can I pull it, what will it cost to own, and can I keep mice out of it during the winter?

They are asking $5000, which I think is a bit high, but said the will negotiate.

I'm about as camper illiterate as it gets.

Would appreciate any insight!

2. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Post up some pics and I will give you some additional insight. I work a lot with campers at my job and always hated them. Poorly built, maintenance nightmare, water leaks. Now that we have one, I have a blast with it. I love getting the family out to somewhere we may not normally spend time. There are also options for dry camping if the crowded resorts are not your thing. We are headed to Yogi Bear for Halloween in a month or so and am really looking forward to it. My Oldest daughter is just getting to the fun stage.

A few thoughts though:
    - Check the vin tag on it. It should be on the driver side (if hooked to the truck). If this is still readable and not all faded out, it will have a GVRW. This will give you the rated fully loaded weight. You can then compare that to the Suburban specs. My gut tells me that if you are hauling w/ in 100 miles or so you will be fine. Maybe not setting land speed records, but you will get there.
    - If that is all faded out, check the NADA site for the year/ make/ model. They often list basic specs like dry weight and GVRW.
    - In terms of common stuff I see, water leakage is the killer. They dont make these things out of treated lumber, so they are very prone to water damage. Check all over closely. Ceiling for staining, walls for stains or softness, bubbling, etc. Check the roof caulking and the condition of the rubber (or maybe even metal depending on the year and model). If the caulking is all cracked and not maintained, it has leaked.
    - Check the tires. Even if they look good, check the DOT code. Trailer tires are only good 5-7 years regardless of tread. Old trailer tires are time bombs.
    - Common sense goes a long way! I say go for it and if it doesn't fit your family, then sell it. You may find the new adventures are more than you expected. I know my toddler loves ours and really looks forward to using it.

Ken, Quaddin4real and DieselFume like this.
  3. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

As Stated above the dry weight and other info also can be found inside above or around the sink in a cabinet factory sticker. Winterizing is the big thing but simple once you get it down. you will find your wife will have more time in it as far as upkeep then you or at least that's the rule here spring cleaning. your Burb. should pull it fine and believe me getting away from the norm even for a weekend will be worth every penny! may not seem like it but it is.

DieselFume and Seastacker like this.
  4. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Your burb is a 3/4ton right? plus a diesel? My kids just got into camping and loving it, bought a new 28footer I believe with a dry weight of 3300 and pull it with a 1/2ton chevy with a 350, no problems except the rear shocks are junk. Everyone we talked to said to add the load stabilizer to the hitch regardless if your within the limits of the truck, it'll make it pull so much better, problem is we can't get the receiver out of the hitch, they are also going to add load levelers. I can tell you that after 1 year they are looking for a better 3/4ton truck and thinking about a 5th wheel toy hauler. I should also say that when I was a kid we use to pack up the boat and go to the river every weekend, did that for a few years and to quote my dad....weekends got to be like work....but still a lot of great memories.

5. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Yeah, hauling a camper has less to do with the actual weight than it does the wind resistance. Both going down the highway, but also cross winds. They can be a handful for sure. Even with a new f-350 I still use weight distribution which in my case also gives away control. It helps, but I will say our next unit will be a 5er for sure.

Ken likes this.
  6. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

My burb is a 1/2 ton with the 5.3/325ci engine. I've got this one and a 2003 that is exactly the same except with higher miles and less hp. The 03 I've hooked to a HD car trailer two years ago and brought home a 98 suburban with a cracked head to repair and quick flip (love suburbans if you can't tell).

The trailer alone I'm sure weighed around 2000 lbs, plus the old suburban was around 5500. Most likely over my recommended GVW, but it pulled it fine. no land speed record, but handles it ok. I'm thinking a camper that weighs 2000 lbs less shouldn't be an issue? at least for short trips?

I run light truck 10 ply tires on everything, so I know they are up to it as well.

No roof leaks I can see in the pictures, We walked through a couple used ones last year and noticed that right away, and I didn't want that problem. all in all, it's a bit dated inside, but everything looks taken care of, and the fact the propane fridge works is a plus... many of them from that vintage dont it seems.

Rockin Ronnie and Seastacker like this.
  7. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

here's some pics of the camper. Don't know what you can or can't see with them, but from talking with them this evening, they've replaced the flooring with stick down tile, there is no roof/water damage. But they did say that the water heater isn't keeping up as well as it used to.

31008526_1984009541926966_826846230_n.jpg 30874848_1984009545260299_304294690_n.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Rockin Ronnie

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Looks like a clean unit! the hot water heater could use a good flush you would be surprised on the build up that can get in there and check the nano rod the plug on the bottom of the tank under cover on outside of camper pull it out should be about 6 inch rod I flus mine every fall when I winterize

9. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Yeah, Like Ronnie said, good looking unit. That is clean even for a trailer much newer. The kids will love that bunk house!
    In terms of the water heater, it depends if it is gas, electric or both (dual fuel). Being mid 90's I would think its one or the other. If gas and the burner is burning like it should, it could be just sediment build up that needs to be flushed out. It could also be a bad thermostat kicking it off early.
    If electric, it could probably still use a flush, but because of its age I would think the heating element is likely corroded up. Its easy to replace and are usually cheap. Some models even have 2 elements....if that is the case, maybe one has just gone bad.
    Also good advice about keeping a good anode rod in it. Mine is 3 years old and nearly gone already. They are cheap and keep the tank from rotting out pre-maturely.

10. Ken

Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2013 Ranger XP 900 Sunset Red LE. 2009 Ranger 700 XP Sunset Red

Adam that looks like a nice clean unit for the price. Your Suburban should pull it fine I did with ours for years. I had the same engine as yours. We were not out to set speed records, just to get there. We towed for years even up into your country. Later we did trade off for a 5th wheel and 3/4 ton Chevy and that was a dream to pull. Bumper pulls are ok, but 5th wheels are so much more stable.

11. Rockin Ronnie

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

WOW anode rod missed that not nano .

12. Curt

Curt Administrator

That looks pretty nice!

13. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

What are your guys's opinions on what it's worth? They are asking 5000, my brother bought one identical to it with a bad fridge and interior that needed some work, for 2500 last year. This one virtually needs nothing

14. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Adam, get me the exact year, make and model and I can poke around a little. $5k feels maybe a little high for an older unit like that, but the condition goes a long way in my book.

Rockin Ronnie likes this.
  15. Rockin Ronnie

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Agree I would pay a little extra to get a nice clean and ready to go unit and not have to do anything!

Make sure tires are good and not dry rotted or weather checked One bad tire can make for a bad trip even on the best looking camper.

16. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Offer them $3500 and go from there, if the tires have not been replaced you'll need to, sunlight is a killer and a lot of them have that brand we don't like. Does it have a master bed or do you have to sleep on the table??

17. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I call them China bombs. And it’s more than just “that brand”. There are many. Lol.

Rockin Ronnie likes this.
  18. Curt

Curt Administrator

China Bombs..............Sounds like a drink..............:D

19. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

You need a drink after they leave you on the side of the road.

20. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

Well, no new news yet. I've been swamped, haven't had time to check into this camper, and I think on their end they haven't pushed selling it. If I ever find out more I'll post it up!

Seastacker likes this.