1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Can am.....high miles and no DPS?

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Mainah, May 11, 2020.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Mainah

Mainah Howard SXS Nation Rookie

I live in Maine and have been interested in 50" SXS's. I can also live with a 60" too. So I've been looking at used models, Polaris 900 trail and the 900 and 1000 "s" models. In addition, I really like the Can Am Maverick Trails and the Maverick Sport. I have to say I'm more partial to the Can am's as I think they are just finished nicer.

So here's the deal. A local place has a few 2019 Maverick Sport 1000's. These are non-DPS models with no power steering and 75 hp. They all were bought, probably at auction, from a rental place out west. Identicalf machines and all of them have over 6,000 miles on them. But I must say they are in exceptional condition for the miles. Being the non-DPS models, not only do you lose 25 hp and power steering, you also lose the eco and sport modes. SuperATV sells a power steering kit for around $600 which seems to have great reviews. They have roofs and nothing else. I guess I'm really concerned about the mileage.

I've found some very low mileage RZR 900 Trails around with a lot of accessories for under $10k. Haven't found very many Maverick Trail models around, maybe because they are a newer model. I do like the Can Am's better, generally, but like the Polaris models too.

I'd say 6,000 miles is quite a bit but in my experience with other "in service" vehicles, they tend to get great, regular maintenance. Even so, that mileage kind of scares me.

So any thoughts? Should I pass on these rental units and stick to looking at a lightly used model of something else? It's just that it's such a nice, substantial model that's hard to pass up on with the price and year. Just trying to open up a discussion with my first post!

2. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I would be a little leary of a rental unit. They are usually beat pretty hard. 6k miles is quite a bit (although I have seen some machines with many more and still super reliable), but 6000 rental miles may be a lot.
    For me personally no power steering is a big deal. I guess I am spoiled now.
    If the deal is too good to pass up, maybe its worth the shot for you.

PS...Welcome to SXSN!

3. sootman67

sootman67 Ben SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2016 Maverick XRS Turbo

Really comes down to price and what your expectations are. Those kind of miles for only 75hp and needing a power steering addition I wouldn't look at them unless in the $5k range.

Also a big part of that decision is your mechanical skill level and assortment of tools available. There's a good chance that diffs, gearbox, clutches, etc may need replaced over your course of ownership. If you have to pay for the labor for these things I wouldn't advise getting something with that much wear on it. In addition to that you'll need to have some experience with on the trail fixes/repairs because thats where these big items will fail.

4. Mainah

Mainah Howard SXS Nation Rookie

Thanks guys, you have reinforced my decision to pass on this machine. I'm a life long dirt biker and ATV'er and have unfortunately found myself fixing something trail side too many times! I'm now 56 and wrenching is definitely something I no longer enjoy.....unless it's fairly simple mods. I think I'm going to find a lightly used RZR 900 Trail that someone else has already spent some mod money on. Most trails here in Maine are going to open soon, so I'll be shopping this week. I'll post back with what I end up with! Thanks for the advice, it was definitely helpful!

sootman67 and Seastacker like this.