1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Canvas Doors

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Jaybey, Dec 1, 2018.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)

1. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

I have canvas doors on my 15 Ranger XP. Unfortunately, during my time up in the Flagstaff area I got too close to a steel “T” post and tore the canvas on the back side of the window opening. No damage to the window or the zipper. Has anyone had any experience repairing one? What do I need to do to fix it. The tear is about an inch and half wide and two and a half inches long.

So far I covered it in fabric backed tape and then stitched over in around the edges.

2. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Seth Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500
    Yamaha Wolverine X2 R-Spec

I would get a patch of canvas and sew it over the tear. I think you need a workhorse of a sewing machine and it may not even be possible if you can't your canvas panel into the machine. I did a quick Youtube search and found this Speedy Stitcher kit that looks easy to use. $13-$15 on Amazon.

3. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Look for canvass tent repair items, today most are a glueon patch. With todays adhesives, I think that would hold up very well without sewing. If patched from the inside it might be hardly noticible.

4. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

20181203_104903[1].jpg 20181203_104926[1].jpg For my first attempt to repair the door I use Gaffers tape on both sides of the tear then since it is cloth based I stitched over it. Unfortunately, I managed to cause a pucker towards the outside of the door so it sticks out about an inch. The first patch will be removed.
    For my second attempt I bought a roll of awning repair tape this stuff is not cheap! It is supposed to be clear once applied. The tape is 3"x 15'. I think when I get ready to apply the tape I will release the tension at the top of the door to make it a little easier to work with the material.
    Anyone had any experience doing something like this? What are your thought.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  5. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I'm not sure how well that tape will work on canvas that is under tension. Do you have a canvas, vinyl, or furniture repair shop close by? With how expensive those doors are, it may be worth considering having someone repair and reinforce that area.

6. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

I agree that the tape on canvass under tension probably wont stick. Back in my canvass tent camping days they did need to be sewed but then came miracle adhesives. The problem with canvass is the glue needs to soak into the canvass, not just stick to the outside. Vinyl awning tape works great on vinyl awnings but probably not canvess as the glue wont soak into the canvess. As mentioned your best bet is a professional repair place, however a good glue that soaks into the fabric along with a top patch will work, I have done this many times on canvass tents, just not sure where to find it nowadays!

7. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken Nevada SXS Nation Rookie

You're probably more cosmetically conscious then I was at the time, but I once bought an old CJ5 Jeep that had been turned over and slid down the highway for a little ways. It had a soft top and it had been mangled pretty bad. Much worse then your door. Anyway, I used black duct tape and you can get a black silicone at the parts house. The black silicone held up well, and actually I did a lot of sewing also, and anywhere I made a repair, I plastered it with the black silicone. I was too poor to buy a new top, and ran that jeep for another 15 yrs and when I traded it off it still had the same old soft top on it. But I guess it did look pretty rough, served me well, thought.

Piston Honda likes this.
  8. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Seth Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500
    Yamaha Wolverine X2 R-Spec

The repair you did looks good enough for me! :)