1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Christmas Day Snow Plowing

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Seastacker, Dec 30, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI Mid-Size

Here is some footage I took after a Christmas Eve snow storm. I drove around and cleaned up for a couple neighbors before I did our drive. We ended up getting about 6" or so total.
    I am still working on some plow technique and learning the equipment, but it does a pretty good job. I started with the camera behind me mounted to the cage. I then moved it down lower to get a better view of the plow. Apparently you loose sound when you speed up the footage so I added a little music towards the end, lol. Wish I could keep these darn things under 10 min....

Chiefmorton and DieselFume like this.
  2. Curt

Curt Administrator

Looks like both the plow and the camera do a great job!

3. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

lookin good there Carl!

The 500 sounds healthy!

4. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

I see a fairly experienced operator, I like the cupped blade as well, me I'd go nuts with anything under 8.5 ft blade. Funny how that first snow will come back to haunt you if the piles are not far enough back, good job on that also. It was a surprise down here our first 2 snows were light and fluffy and the ground is frozen, usually not the case. Doors would be nice, -5 plowing here yesterday.

Seastacker likes this.
  5. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

They seem to. I think the plow will push about anything but I’m guessing after 7-8” of snow, the snow blower on the tractor will be the ticket. The camera is a hero 3 silver. Older model but works great. Just wish it had a screen to aim it. I have to use my phone linked up now to get the aim right. I went a little crazy with RAM and camera mount options over Christmas, so if we get a big snow fall I will mount it up to the tractor.

Yeah, that little 500 has impressed me at every turn. No lack of power at all. The only place it could use an extra cylinder is at close to wot high speed runs. Even with the plow loaded up, you will loose traction long before you run out of power to push the snow.

6. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

Thanks. I have move snow for many years with several different tractor mount blowers (inc a larger 3 point blower) so I am used to sort it putting the snow where I want it very easy. I bit of a learning curve with the plow. I pushed the piles way back to try and give some room. I went out again yesterday to clean up a few inches we got since Christmas and it was single digits. Doors would be great, but I think I may still take power steering first. The wheel is heavy with the weight of that plow on there.

7. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Get your front tires to the max psi or a little more if your comfortable with doing so, I carry 25gal out front and if the psi is down even a little I can tell it.

8. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

Max on my tires is 7 psi. I usually run them at 5-6. I am up at 10 on the front already which did help a little.

9. Chiefmorton

Chiefmorton Brian Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2016 Velocity blue Polaris ranger crew 900

Looks like fun I'm still waiting for some snow here so I can try out the new cutting edge.

10. Dave

Dave Dave Administrator

Side X Side(s):

2017 RZR XP4 1000 turbo

The little red ranger hard at work :)

Seastacker likes this.
  11. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

We got close to 10" of snow so I got out the tractor and snow blower. I'm sure the Ranger would move it with no problem, but by the time I got it all where I wanted it, it would take forever. I figure much over 6-7", the tractor is just faster and more efficient. I had just added some rubber extensions to the auger, so its moving the snow pretty good.
    I took some better footage.....then I realized my camera was on picture mode. I ended up with this, which was doing my neighbors drive and a little clean up on mine. I know its not a SXS, but I know a lot of people here are into the same stuff I am.

PS...Another member of One Lung Nation. These old Kohler single cylinders are beasts :)

12. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Nice vid there Carl, my Kymco 450i plows snow very well also, been having fun this winter as we have had no snow worth plowing the last two years.
    I did add a soft side enclosure from Pacific Eagle to my machine and it is great for the cold. Just blocking that cold artic blast is wonderfull but I also added a small propane golf cart heater so now I can plow all day and be toasty warm. Just read the article on the rubber wear bar and going to ad one to my machine to make plowing the gravel drive easier. I also have a big snow blower for the deep stuff on the rare occasion we get it, but mine is a walk behind so I need to get dressed up in the snowmobile gear to keep warm and dry. Happy plowing ....I am looking for more to come.

Seastacker likes this.