1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Closing in on 20,000 miles

Discussion in 'Full Size: 700, 800, 2009-2014 Model Years' started by DieselFume, Jan 11, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Have one already over 20,000 and two others that are close. Will they make it to 30,000? IMG_20170109_092015982_HDR.jpg IMG_20170109_092004743_HDR.jpg

2. BuckChain570

BuckChain570 Buck SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2014 Polaris Ranger 570

That's insane!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. jmarco89

jmarco89 Justin SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2016 Mule ProFX EPS Black

That's some real dedication. Polaris needs to send you new models to test out longevity

Kudidl likes this.
  4. GaryL

GaryL Gary Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900 Crew

Amazing mileage!!!! Reflects on your maintenance.

5. Kudidl

Kudidl Rick SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2017 XP1000

Amazing. If I drove mine to work every day it would take me over three years to get that many miles.
    You must have a lot of area to cover, I'm jealous.

6. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

I see you police your brass.....you keep fixing and I know they'll make 30.

7. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

As long as the cattle market stays down, they're going to have to make 30

8. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Dang! That is impressive! Polaris should buy those things back at the end for r&d.

9. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

not sure there'll be much to buy back!

Was doing some figuring,

Each of the 3 rangers that are at or near 20,000, have through a minimum of 4 sets of tires, some 5. The OEMs were taken off new and sold back to the dealer.

I think I can honestly say, they are a better machine today, than the day we brought them home. I can't tell you the last time I repaired a broken wire... maybe 2 years ago?

Rebuilding the transmissions and keeping the CVT system in good shape are really the biggest items on my repair list. Having done a re-bearing job on 3 transmissions now with better parts I have yet to see any of them fail again.

I still change the drive train oils annually with plain old JD spec hyd oil, and seems to be working great.

Only big dollar repairs I see coming up are what to do about the front diffs. the cups on all 3 of them are nearly gone. Don't really want to buy $500 worth of parts to put into an old diff, but I haven't checked yet to see what a salvage one would cost me.

Had a guy comment the other day about how much I spend on repairing these things, so I got to thinking about it-
    Suspension rebuild this fall on two machines including wheel bearings, brakes, tie rod ends and ball joints cost me around $600 per machine. Clutch freshening another $100, new drive belt $160.. I'm still under $1000. Granted, you add some odds and ends like tailgate latch, exhast parts and such a person would have $1000 in each machine per year, minimum. Some years you change a drive clutch or driven clutch, but those same years you most likely don't do a complete suspension overhaul, so it evens out.

Dusting an engine now and then isn't planned on, but does happen. Still, only $750 parts bill?

I'm trying really hard to talk myself into some new machines, but the price tag and the comparison to my current repair costs are staggering. Not to mention the warranties on some of this new equipment is not AG friendly.

Time will tell what we do, but I wouldn't be shocked if half these machines are still here in 2020.

10. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

It is alot of area to cover. Lots of stock to move during the year, fence to run, pasture to check.

We've talked about buying one of those $7000 drones that have a 15 mile range just to be able to offset the mileage and time lost on our SxS's It would most likely pay for itself easily.

We have had so much blowing snow lately, almost every fence in every low spot is buried- So we will have fence everywhere to fix this year... gonna be a long spring.

With 3 guys here at home now it's reduced the average on my machine, but still all 3 primary machines rack up about 500hrs/3-4000 miles per year

11. jmarco89

jmarco89 Justin SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2016 Mule ProFX EPS Black

A good friend of mine bought a drone a few months back. I want to say he payed in that area for it. He did say he wishes he would have got it sooner. Now it's a huge asset to their operation. From checking crops to searching for that lost calf that got away from the heard. He says with the calfs he has found with it it has already payed for itself.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Seastacker and DieselFume like this.
  12. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

The drones creep me out a bit, but the certainly have a place.

13. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Amazing testimony to your maintenance on these machines. While you rack up some serious miles it doesn't sound like your equipment is abused at all. If you have good equipment and take care of it, the repair costa hardly ever exceed what replacement costs are. I do the same with my vehicles, I buy my cars with 75000 on them and drive them until they hit 250,000 and have never even came close to putting enough repairs into them to equal a replacement cost.

14. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

ooooooh I wouldn't say that ;)

I would say our equipment gets a fair share of abuse. Not intentional, but the kind of use we put them through at times is knowingly not good for them but we have no choice is most cases. If you hit a hole you didn't see and bend an A-arm, or hit a hole and break a rear shock off and send it through the bed (happened to my brother twice)....

Stuff like that happens. But it's the kind of things that happen when you use equipment, new or old. I do the best I can for the machines when I have the time. In the fall/winter I fix everything I know will go wrong, or could go wrong in the spring. With a little luck I can get through the majority of the year without too many problems.

Biggest stinker for me is the new warranties that are out there. They don't cover plastic, they don't cover corrosion, or failure due to water or dirt (like suspension bushings.

If you plastic air cleaner gets a hole rubbed through and dusts the engine, that's not covered under warranty because the part that failed is plastic.

I like the thought of a 3 year factory warranty, but I'm afraid all it would result for me is alot of trips to the dealer and back from the dealer saying they won't cover it.

From what I understand, I don't know first hand that Kawi is pretty much the same way as well, just their parts are more expensive.

oh well.

15. Richard Davidson

Richard Davidson RD Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2009 Arctic Cat Prowler 700 XTX

Plan puts the spotlight on proper maintenance! I'm fortunate in that I can pull mine down whenever I get bored! LOL 10,000 + miles, and transmission showed no signs of wear. Wet Clutch makes me change oil at 600 mile intervals, but not that big of deal. I switched from Amsoil motorcycle blend to a high zinc content Amsoil. I'm using 20/50 in the summer, and 10/40 in the winter. The reason I switched is that I went to a higher rate valve spring from Speedwerx!