1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Clutch Problem

Discussion in 'Ranger Nation' started by Jaybey, Feb 9, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

Every time I have pulled the clutch cover off to check and clean the area, I had a ton of dust. Now I know why. It appears the last time I blew a belt it caused damage to the top of the back cover where the air exits the clutch box into the engine.
    5439086 DUCT-CLUTCH,AIR INLET has a tear and deformation:

Also not the top of the Inner Clutch box has been worn away.
    I am going to pull the clutches this week and attempt to weld it all back to useable condition. If that does not work I will have to buy a new inner clutch box and air duct. $$$$$$#!t

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    DieselFume likes this.
  2. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Man that's a bummer Joe!

So you think it's completely from the belt breaking and not just some normal belt slap against the cover? As far as replacements go, before you buy new, you could call a salvage outfit like Powersports Nation, they'd probably sell you one for much less money.

Did you go back with a polaris belt?

3. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

4. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Man, that sucks. I agree with Adam on the used route. Not sure I would risk plastic welding that. If it fails, you may not know it right away. With the labor involved to pull that inner off to just weld it, I would personally just replace it. Plus, I would not want to risk any more dust and dirt damage to those clutches.

5. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

I wore a hole in the cover on my 700 right before the belt broke, wasn't the breaking part that did damage but the worn out stretched out belt. I just patched with silicone and has held up fine but it doesn't get ridding very much these days, would think epoxy would also be a good fix.

6. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

This was a plastic welding day. I found three places on the inner clutch cover to weld up and one was a fairly large triangular hole about 1.25 x 1.5 inches. Another was just a crack about 1 inch long. The third was the seal groove where a broken belt had taken out the inner part of the grove wall about 3 inches long. When we took the inner cover off, we discovered a seepage on the primary – I think my maintenance plan should cover that.

The other part today was the roof. I had a long crack on the rear of the passenger side about 2 inches to the left of the last screw. And an older crack from hitting a limb over a year ago.

All the welds had 1/32” stainless mesh imbedded into the plastic then filled and smoothed it over. I think it looks fairly good myself.

Thanks Ken for you facility and assistance.

Ken likes this.
  7. Ken

Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2013 Ranger XP 900 Sunset Red LE. 2009 Ranger 700 XP Sunset Red

Joe you sure did a nice job of welding that plastic. It sure looked nice when you finished! Good job my Friend!

DieselFume likes this.
  8. Curt

Curt Administrator

Hey wheres the pictures!:eek:o_O:D

DieselFume and Rockin Ronnie like this.