1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

code 110 3

Discussion in 'Full Size: 700, 800, 2009-2014 Model Years' started by bcoffey, Jun 29, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. bcoffey

bcoffey BJ SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2012 Ranger 800 xp

trying to figure out how to go about diagnosing. code is ect sensor over voltage. replaced sensor, didn't clear cel. haven't found any wires broken yet. fan runs as long as engine is running and the engine temp will go up to 221 and stay right in that area, but radiator cap isn't even warm yet.. any ideas?

2. Jungleman

Jungleman SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2007 Polaris Ranger 700XP LE

bc, "radiator cap isn't even warm yet" that sounds like a stuck closed thermostat to me if the fan is running till you shut off the engine and the engine is hitting over 220 . I would check for circulation with the cap off...Carefully check it, that is.....If it is circulating, test the radiator cap .....the seal goes bad in the cap and the temp goes ballistic.. 3 degrees higher for every pound of pressure the cap lets escape..

3. bcoffey

Side X Side(s):

2012 Ranger 800 xp

the temp and fan were erratic before I unplugged the sensor. the temp would say 215 then 195 without the fan turning on, not those 2 specifically just an example. fan would come on at weird temps like 190. I unplugged the sensor and that's when the cel came on. sorry I got ahead of myself and left this stuff out. as soon as I start it the cel comes on and fan starts warm or cold

4. Jungleman

Side X Side(s):

"
    . I unplugged the sensor and that's when the cel came on. sorry I got ahead of myself and left this stuff out. as soon as I start it the cel comes on and fan starts warm or cold"

bc, that is how the ECU works, as soon as you unplug the sensor, the fan goes to on fulltime. You may want to check/replace the circuit breaker for the fan. They are about five bucks at NAPA and do strange things as they go away..

Curt likes this.
  5. bcoffey

Side X Side(s):

2012 Ranger 800 xp

will see if I can find it. think a fan circuit breaker would cause the temps to be erratic on the speedo display? I suppose anything is possible

6. Jungleman

Side X Side(s):

bc, it looks like this in the wire harness.. : upload_2017-6-29_17-32-3.jpeg

Curt likes this.
  7. bcoffey

Side X Side(s):

2012 Ranger 800 xp

I found it thanks! will have to make a trip to town I suppose. thank you

8. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Jungle got you squared away I think, I've seen a few of those circuit breakers fail, mostly on 2011s for the fan- Generally they'll work ok for awhile but a little ways (and a few fan cycles ) into the ride the fan will start getting erratic, coming on and off randomly. You can cut the head off a machine screw and jumper (elimiate) the 20amp circiut breaker to see if that's the problem.

Have you had the cooling system apart recently?

With the radiator cap not being hot at all it really has me thinking you're not seeing any coolant circulation. Your coolant temp should not be rising much above 205 without the radiator being smoking hot.... An air pocket in the engine/cylinder head will also give you erratic temp readings and fan cycling as well.

I think I would verify the t-stat is opening (or just replace it) or try and bleed the cooling system first.

Cooling systems are hard to bleed out on these unless you have a heater with a bleeder on the t-stat housing adapter.

9. bcoffey

Side X Side(s):

2012 Ranger 800 xp

it was a little low on antifreeze so could be a pocket. both radiator hoses are hot in front of the engine. will be the first to admit I'm overdue for cooling system service so maybe if I'm in there I will put a tstat in it and flush it. thanks guys!

10. bcoffey

Side X Side(s):

2012 Ranger 800 xp

well I just bled it, no change. there was a steady stream coming out of the bleeder....... nearest parts store is 20 or so miles away so will get a breaker when I can get there. waiting for it to cool down so I can pop the cap again. it will go to 221 and stop, when I shut it off for literally a minute maybe 2 it reads down in the 140's.... upper hose to tstat gets hot, lower is warm.

11. bcoffey

Side X Side(s):

2012 Ranger 800 xp

bled the system again, radiator and cap get hot. replaced circuit breaker and still no change. back to square 1 but I appreciate the help!