1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Cold start and warm up

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Gerbil Bones, May 19, 2020 at 5:43 PM.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Gerbil Bones

Gerbil Bones Lance SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2019 RZR 570 EPS

How long should a sxs warm up when it's 60-70 degrees outside? What should the heat temp get to before riding?

2. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

At those temps I pretty much start and go. They build engine heat quick.
    In the winter I will let it idle for a couple minutes before plowing or whatever.

3. rocksalot

rocksalot James Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

Well, I arbitrarily picked 120* to use as my take off temp.
    When I picked that temp it just seemed like it had run long enough to smooth out and probably be okay to run with.
    If you try to go too soon sometimes they will stumble and sometimes foul a plug if you do it often enough.
    Having a specific temp makes it easy on me since I need a rule to go by. Its a personal thing, a method to the madness. Lol.
    But there is nothing scientific to my reasoning.

4. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

If your stumbles or stalls b4 reaching 120 you should have it looked. Today's modern engines only need a couple minutes at best, unless it is really cold. Especially if it has FI, now I wouldn't hammer it hard until 120 but a normal drive should not be an issue

5. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Mine is a little stubmly at first. I assume its the computer in rich start up mode. It smooths out quick. The 120 rule is not a bad guideline. Mine hits 120 pretty quick. Usually by the time I'm started up and to the point where I would be riding beyond low speed, I'm at or past the 120 mark. It gets up there fast.