1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Commander Heat Shielding/Noise Reduction

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Juic3Mane, Mar 11, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Juic3Mane

Juic3Mane Andrew SXS Nation Rookie

New Commander owner here! First SxS so I’m still learning lol. I made a post about a week ago regarding some advice on my first purchase and I appreciate everyone who provided input.

Now my next task.. I read before purchasing where the Commanders get a lot of heat/noise in the cab area. Put about 3 hours on the machine this past weekend in 55-60 degree weather at a medium-intensity pace and could feel a little heat, not too bad. Will probably be pretty hot this summer however in the humid, 90s/100s TN heat.. Cab noise was manageable but pretty loud at mid/high speeds. Not really worried about verbally communicating with others as much as hearing the radio. Really have to blast the music! Lol. I’ve read where others have wrapped the exhaust and lined the inner console panels with Thermo Tec liner to help out. Anyone have any experience or advice on it? As far as effectiveness and how easy/tedious of a project it is. Also if it’s worth it, about how much would it take and are there alternative brands or DIY solutions other than the Thermo Tec? I’ve seen it around $50-60 a sheet online, not sure what size that is though..

Also including a pic of the new ride :D she’s not much but I’m proud of her!

1742649F-7E4F-4548-9900-DED9A21A2026.jpeg 85986D59-B37D-4504-BDBE-F96B922BD8CD.jpeg

KeithStone76 and DieselFume like this.
  2. Curt

Curt Administrator

Welcome to a new, expensive world..........:D
    @PlumberSteve76 would probably have some good information regarding this.

Juic3Mane likes this.
  3. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Nice looking ride! Were you able to bargain at all? Either way, I think the price you posted in the other thread was fair.
    I can’t offer much advice on the heat. Some of these machines (all brands) can get a little warm depending on how it is laid out. You may want to look at what is causing a potential issue and start small like wrapping the exhaust. A ton of heat comes from that. If there is still an issue, look at self adhesive heat reflecting material. Places like Summit and Jegs offer it. Again, congrats and keep us posted on any mods and rides you go on!

Juic3Mane likes this.
  4. Juic3Mane

Juic3Mane Andrew SXS Nation Rookie

Thanks! I was able to get them down a tad and come away with some free koozies :D Which come in handy actually..

There's a small drain hole in the cup holders which heat comes up through. Left an ice cold Dr Pepper in there and went in the store. Come out to a warmer-than-lukewarm Dr Pepper.. Read a post where a guy made an insert out of a piece of rubber and some duct tape that solved that problem lol. Again, it's not a major issue. This ride came with most of the major accessories that I wanted already on it so I suppose I'm just eager to make some upgrades on my own.

Seastacker likes this.
  5. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

We all have to ad our own personal touches to make it our own! No many how many bells and whistles you have...your gonna think of more...just give it time!

6. wgarcar1

wgarcar1 ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2016 polaris ranger 570 XP

I used the cup holders as dog water bowls.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Juic3Mane likes this.
  7. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

I am considering pulling the heat shield off my Ranger XP and coovering it first attempt furnace tape (shiny alumnim tape) because it does work fairly well and if they is not sufficient I am thinking thermo tec gold mat. AND if all else fails I will put it out completly and put in a 12 or 10 inch electric radiator fan with a two way switch for heat in the winter and cooler in the summer. I did the fan thing on my 2006 Ranger and it worked faily well.