1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Common Problems (and their fix) for Odes UTVs

Discussion in 'ODES UTV' started by Raiderdad, Feb 18, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

1. Raiderdad

Raiderdad Robert SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2014 Odes Dominator SE 4dr

I am a Odes owner who has had a lot of experience fixing and modifying Odes UTVs. I want to share my experiences and solutions to common Odes issues. This thread is primarily for those guys that are considering buying a used (Odes) machine. So far, the new machines seem to be pretty trouble free, but, those machines built before mid-2014 had some issues. Personally, I would avoid them. if you are anyway mechanically inclined, you can fix any of the items listed below.
    Here are the issues:

Borderline adequate cooling. If you live (like I do) in an area where ambient temps >100 and go slow in rough terrain, you may experience overheating. I consider anything over 205 as overheating. Odes used a single fan on the radiator and a single fan on the engine compartment on early models. Consider adding a second fan to the radiator (late models already have 2 fans on the radiator) or move the engine compartment fan to the radiator and/or add an oil cooler (Mr. RPM makes one for a Rotax that fits). You can also add Purple Ice coolant to the coolant and/or reduce the antifreeze concentration from 50/50 to 40/60 to help with heat transfer. I would not go below 40% antifreeze to prevent possible boil over.

Wheel Bearings/Seals. I personally never experienced any wheel bearing/seal problems, myself, but, I didn't put my machine in deep mud. Those that did have problems found the wheel bearings were not properly packed and/or the grease was of poor quality. High quality bearings are available at most bearing supply houses or auto supplies. Replacement seals are available from Odes parts. If you are considering buying a used machine. Jack each wheel up and check them.

Interior Heat in Summer. Since Odes come standard (Dominator) with a full windshield, there is not enough air flow in the Summer in the cab. Most of the heat is coming from the engine compartment & cat. convertor. You can simply insulate the inside of the engine cover. I also removed my cat. convertor. That was the biggest source of interior heat.

Front Driveshaft Yoke Retaining Bolt Breakage. I and several others experienced this with my 2014. Early models used a 8mm retaining bolt on the front trans. output shaft. 2015+ models use a 10mm retaining bolt. If you are buying a used machine, it is worth the effort to check it. It can be accessed from under the engine cover or by removing the center belly pan from underneath. Personally, I would not consider buying a used Odes (regardless of the year model) without checking the bolt.

Wheel Lugs. Again, I have not experienced this problem, but, I don't jump my machine. The OE wheel lugs on Odes machine is m10x1.5. The wheels are lug centric (not hub centric) so all the stress is on the lugs when landing from a high jump. The simple fix is to replace the 10mm lugs and nuts with 12mm. Problem solved.

There is not a lot of aftermarket accessories for Odes machines. 1.) There is just not enough of them out there to justify tooling up to make parts for them (yet) although many Rhino accessories will fit. 2.) Odes come pretty much complete from the factory. There are several things that I recommend you do to your Odes to help keep it performing properly.

Instrumentation. I installed digital voltmeter, oil pressure & coolant temp gauges in mine. easy to do and cheap (<$100).
    Battery Maintainer. I installed a on-board battery monitor/maintainer (<$30). If you park your machine over 2 weeks at a time, you might want to do this to keep the battery up. The ECU is a constant (but very low) drain on the battery all the time.

These are just my suggestions. I hope that you find them helpful in making your decision on what to buy or how to maintain your machine.

Robert

2. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

This is great information! Thanks for sharing!

Beelea217 likes this.
  3. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Yes good info. Just to share my knowledge with yoke retainers, and it's not from utv's but construction equipment. I don't recommend bolts in these situations but if you do use a good grade 5, they have a bit more flexibility, the problem with grade 8 is when you tighten them down they are brittle and snap a lot quicker with the pulling force usually amplified with any movement in the yoke, there strength is in lateral sheer not pulling sheer, I'm talking off the shelf hardware which is most common, not the specialty stuff. I prefer spring pins, yeah I know they can be a bear but is what they were designed for. just my 2c

Beelea217 likes this.
  4. Beelea217

Beelea217 Billy SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2016 Odes dominator 4x long travel

Great nice job I have the 2016 4x its has been trouble free I am like you as not mud riding deep water just like to enjoy a nice ride on trails. When you say rhino parts is that brakes mirrors and frame, I love my Odes just get tired of people calling them junk everyone each has their choice. I do not care what you ride it just matters to me that you are riding!

5. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Thanks for posting your ideas, many of your suggestions can be applied to other brands of machines so keep the ideas flowing!

Beelea217 likes this.
  6. Bdirect

Bdirect Baron SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Odes D2 2012 Dominator 800

HELP, I have one of the early 2012 800 2X and have had my share of problems, all of which were easy to fix until now. It starts with no problem COLD and runs ok but if left at idle more than a minute dies and won't restart (ignition fails, no spark) until it completely cools down. If I keep it off idle it continues to run until shutdown and again won't restart, turns over but no spark. When trying to start, at times, it back fires like a timing issue. Has anyone seen this problem before? I really don't want to have to buy a tester from Odes, way too much money, and using their diagnostic ohm test results; everything is faulty.

Beelea217 likes this.
  7. Bdirect

Side X Side(s):

Well guys, no one gave me the answer but I found it anyway. Coils failing and plug wire burnt inside coil...waiting parts (wires back ordered through Odes). If this is not the whole fix, I'll repost.

Beelea217 likes this.
  8. SxSNationDev

SxSNationDev Zachary Administrator

@Bdirect

Well I am glad you hopefully figured it out. Odes Nation will grow as we find more and more riders that prefer this brand, there are plenty out there :)

Next time, it's best to just post your own thread with a separate issue from the original poster, you will get a lot more exposure.

Beelea217 likes this.
  9. Oldguy

Oldguy Randy SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Odes Dominator X LT

I recently purchased a Dominator 800 X LT, been trying to follow breakin procedures and have found some issues. Got a brake "hanging", squeeks when I back up, machine seems...boggy. Had smoke in cab , smells like something on manifold or heads. And lastly, it seems to run "warm" when I go to low range and cross country. Not being hard on it, just driving across neighbors field. I have the Zues system and it shows between 190 and 202. Is that hot for this machine. Whats going to happen when I plow snow and work it harder. Currently going back to dealer. I work out of town and this is my G.F.'s way out if it snows. I cant go below 50/50 as the temps up here won't allow it. Currently -10f (-27 in the wind) Thanks for any input in this.

10. Bdirect

Side X Side(s):

Hey Oldguy, 190-202 really ain't all that bad. Most thermostats open at 190, water boils at 220, and the antifreeze keeps the water from boiling at an even higher temp. as long as it won't boil over you're not overheating. Smoke was probably cozmoline just burning off the exhaust if it stopped after a few rides, normal. If it still smokes you'd better find the fluid leak and fix it.
    My ODES is the old 2012 model that is known to have over heating issues. Got mine used and it was overheating from the start. I found my radiator fins blocked with grass seed. I had to pull the radiator to clean it. I made a screen to protect it much like the one on my tractor. It's a lot easier to clean grass and dust off the screen than to pull the radiator.
    Also I recommend you check the tightness of ALL nuts and bolts you can get your hands on, especially the wheel, axle, and brake components, some of mine were dangerously loose, I check mine every 3 months just to be sure.

11. Oldguy

Side X Side(s):

Odes Dominator X LT

thanks Bdirect, there are more issues developing as we speak. When I went to load the machine I couldnt climb the trailer (snow) so I spooled out the winch...free spool. Machine died. Went to re-start....battery dead...I just rode it for 20 minutes. Finally get it started, now it wont idle. WHen I took it in I attributed some of my issues to the cold, -15 without the wind. Dealer said there was more to it than cold, so I left it in his hands.

12. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI Mid-Size

I don't know about Odes, but a weak battery has some really odd effects on Polaris. A few years ago in the winter, my battery would start my machine (it would roll over ok, but a little slow). Machine would idle high, idle low, stall, mis fire, etc. All sorts of issues that I would usually not relate to a battery that had just started the machine. As soon as I replaced the battery all of the issues went away. I'm not saying the battery is your silver bullet here, but it is now one of the first places I check if I have any phantom or odd run issues.

13. Oldguy

Side X Side(s):

Odes Dominator X LT

Seastacker, got a call today from dealer. We have both come to rhe same conclusion, it's too D - - - COLD. They charged the battery, load tested it, all is well. Going to add a maintainer. As far as temp, they said it's normal, smoke in cabin, part of engine housing and carpet dust shield, melted. Life is good

Seastacker likes this.
  14. works4u37184

works4u37184 Tim SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2015 ODES Dominatior 4 door 4x4

Thanks to all who are adding value to this site. I have an 2015 Odes dominator 4 door 4x4. I love this machine. I want to thank Robert "Raiderdad" for the very useful information. I encourage all to upgrade their batteries because the ones they are shipped with do not have enough wattage to kick over when hot. I will take "Raiderdad" advice on the additional fan and insulate the cab. Yes they do get very warm inside the cab. Great in Wintertime but not Summer. I have added a push out front windshield from unhingedatv that helped with airflow in the cab as you can raise it a little and get air flow or open it wide open to hunt out of so you can shoot forward. But the best thing about the windshield was the ability to trailer the UTV and go down the Interstate without the window bowing in on the stock windshield. I have added a backup camera $28. I have added LED lighting inside the cab which helps see inside the cab when dark. Just finished a trip to Wind Rock park in Oliver Springs Tennessee. We drove 42 miles on trials and no I not do the difficult trails because that is not the design of the UTV. I like hauling grandkids and gear instead of flipping over and breaking axles:) God bless you all. Tim

Oldguy, DieselFume and Curt like this.
  15. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

[QUOTE=" We drove 42 miles on trials and no I not do the difficult trails because that is not the design of the UTV. I like hauling grandkids and gear instead of flipping over and breaking axles:) God bless you all. Tim[/QUOTE]

Hey...my kind of rider, mabey we can meet up on a trail someday!! Welcome to the forum

16. odesvanuatu

odesvanuatu karine SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Odes 1000cc long

17. odesvanuatu

odesvanuatu karine SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Odes 1000cc long

I have just purchased a new Odes directly shipped from the manufacturer and put together by a local mechanic. I live in a 3rd world country, a small island by Fiji). This is now my everyday ride.

I seem to have 3 problems.

1. The middle box generates an uncomfortable amount of heat (temperature here is around 86 degree and 85% humidity), not pleasant for the driver and even worse for the back passengers, as the back seats get very hot and hot air blow on the legs.

You mentioned removing the catalyst converter (I don't know anything about mechanic,). Where is it located and when you remove it, does it need to be replaced by another part (if so which part, which I might need to have shipped from the US)?

2. The motor make a real loud noise . Is it normal?

3. When I press on the pedal, I need to press hard to get the car started and it start at a real slow space, is it normal?

** update. I have removed the catalyst converter, the engine box does not get as hot, but the air coming out of the vent from the engine compartment is still hot. Any other suggestion from anyone on how to further reduce the heat?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  18. Dut

Dut Duston SXS Nation Rookie

Has anyone found other sources for engine an suspension parts for the Odes? I do not own one but looking heavy at them. other older forums say parts are hard to come by.

19. Oldguy

Side X Side(s):

Odes Dominator X LT

I have not heard of difficulty getting parts, alot depends on the dealer as you well know.

20. RScotty

RScotty Scott SXS Nation Rookie

Great Info. Speaking of lack of aftermarket parts, does anyone know if there is a suitable aftermarket oil filter for the ODES 800cc engine?
    I have a 2016 Assailant (not a SXS), but same engine. Do I have to buy the $13 filter directly from ODES or is there an aftermarket option?