1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Common Problems (and their fix) for Odes UTVs

Discussion in 'ODES UTV' started by Raiderdad, Feb 18, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)

1. Frenchy8469

Frenchy8469 John SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2014 ODES Dominator 800 Pro

I have an 2014 ODES Dominator Pro 800. There have been a few issues I have had and I will share what my solutions were. The first one was my battery kept draining. My machine has an Eagle Plow on it with a up and down operated by the winch, and the left and right motion is a hydraulic ram that is also battery operated. My assumption to the draining problem was that the engine cannot recharge the battery fast enough to keep up with the drainage from plow operation. So I installed a new battery with much more cold cranking amps. Additionally I installed a battery tender to keep the machine under constant charge. The temperatures up here in Northern Wisconsin can get below -30F. My solutions seemed to solve the problem this winter, and we had snow all the way into the first week of May.

The second issues I had was belt problems. I am on my third belt so far. I believe the reason for this is because I work the machine so hard pushing snow. This past winter the secondary clutch blew. The actuator that engages the clutch is made out of plastic and disintegrated. The replacement from ODES is about 700 bucks. HOWEVER, I have a great dealer up here for parts, St. Germain B&B and Rentals. They are a Hisun dealer and he got me the part I needed, and only the part I needed, for 65 dollars. Quite a difference.

The next problem, and it might be related to the problem above, is that due to the battery problem I had a battery charger on the front passenger seat. The temperature was about -25F and had been that cold for two days. It snowed overnight and when I started the machine I left the charger on the seat. There was something under the snow I hit with the plow and that caused the charge to hit the floor. The plastic floor shattered. Big giant hole now. I ordered a replacement floor from ODES. 75 buck plus 33 dollars for shipping. This past spring I replaced that floor. I am thinking that the secondary clutch part may have shattered due to the cold also.

Next: The tires were wearing out in the front. We found a locking nut that was loose throwing the alignment off. and tightened it and replaced the front tires. I found some online for 65.00 each free shipping. Had my local dealer install them for another 20.00.

Next: Certain attachments that go into the receiver interfere with the dump box. I removed the back bumper to alleviate this problem.

Next: Windshield cracked. Replacement one from ODES was 199.00 plus shipping. Shipping costs were well over 100.00 dollars. I found a company that custom makes a split fold down windshield for 275.00 free shipping. I installed this and like it much better. In the summer I mostly ride with it in the down position. This allows more airflow into the compartment cooling things down due to engine heat.

Next: Fuel pump died. Bought and replaced it. However, it happened again and I disconnected the battery, reconnected it, and all was ok. More than likely the first one was fine, but the fuel injection computer was messed up and if I would have reset it, it might have worked OK. 239.00 unnecessary repair.

Even with all of these repairs I like the machine for the costs. One thing though. To change a belt you need to remove the skid plate, interior engine shroud. On other machines because the engine is further back you can get to the belt cover without having to remove all of that other stuff. This make belt changing much easier for us old guys. I am still having an overheating issue. The gauge on the instrument panel for engine heat goes up to five bars. The machine usually runs at two bars in the winter and as high as three bars in the summer. Yesterday I back cleaned the radiator with a hose and water. This morning, not that it is cooled down I plan on checking the coolant. I have had issues in AUTOs where the engine overheats due to an air bubble in the cooling system. This will be my next exploration to seek out. Xmas parade 2016.jpg

Odes in Norway and Seastacker like this.
  2. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Great information, thanks John!

Oldguy likes this.
  3. Oldguy

Oldguy Randy SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Odes Dominator X LT

Great info. I had some issues with my 2017 Dominator 800 X2 this past winter also. All was attributed to the cold here in west central Minnesota. Same as you described, added a tender also. Had a lot of wetter snow this year, haven't had any belt issues ...YET. Are you able to trailer your machine with the split windshield?

4. 5thgenlude0505

5thgenlude0505 Tommy SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2014 dominator 800 4 door

I have an issue with mine 2014 odes 800 5 seater.
    I have a problem my exhaust is glowing on one side header i cant tell if other side is ...took plugs off front side is ok looking ...and dry....back side is soaked with gas(this side is the side glowing)
    I checked spark just holding plugs to frame and they both spark ....it runs good i feel like could have a little more power but it does 55 rather easily ...i have removed the cat converter in hopes that was it ..it is not lol any ideas will help thanks

5. Dgr1

Dgr1 Rob SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Odes dominator 800

I have a 2016 dominator 800. It's been trouble free till now. The other day it started acting up. I prefer to work on stuff myself rather than take it to a shop. And the odes dealer is 2 hrs away. So if anybody has an idea as to my problem. I'd appreciate the help. After first starting the machine cold, it runs fine and normal. After 15-20 minutes of light driving, it's starts acting up and "bogging down" never stops running, just has no power. Doesn't matter how much gas you give it. And the engine light comes on .any ideas?

6. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

Sounds to me like a fuel filter getting cloged.

7. Dgr1

Dgr1 Rob SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Odes dominator 800

I will add to my above post. Last night I was showing a friend the problem. When the machine isn't moving, it has no power issues. Runs and revs fine. He's thinking clutch? Thoughts?