1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Couple questions/problems

Discussion in 'Kymco Nation' started by Jdunn, Mar 10, 2020.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Jdunn

Jdunn Josh SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i

I have a kymco 450 that me and the family use on our property and recently started to leak oil on all 4 bolts around the drain plug- that rectangle peice that the drain plug threads into. Is there a gasket that is behind that? I can’t find any part or parts for it. Also, last summer the machine won’t start in park only in neutral. is there a sensor that I can get or bad wiring?

2. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

There is a small dia O ring type gasket behind that plate. It is difficult to get it into proper position. That plate should be removed on ocassion to clean the particle screen behind. Designed to catch larger particles to trap them from the oil. I found a couple pcs in my 1st oil change but nothing after that. You do need to apply heavy pressure on the brake pedal to engage the starter no matter what gear you are in.

3. Jdunn

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i

Thank you for the reply. Does the o ring need replacing every once in a while? I taken it to a kymco dealership for servicing so I wonder if they didn’t put the O ring back properly. As far as the starting problem, no matter how much pressure I apply it doesn’t want to start in park. I end up switching to neutral.

4. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

That small rubber ring is difficult to get into position! I used some grease to hold mine in position but it still leaks a little bit. Never enough to show on the dipstick but enough to make a small mess on the underside. I rarely use park due to the difficulty of getting the shifter out of park.
    I normally just leave it in gear and step on the brake to start it. Saves having to wrestle it out of park. There is a switch that operates from the brake pedal that creates the start safety, but...there are a number of start safety devices wired together so it could be any of them. If it starts in other gears with the brake pedal pressed then it will be in just the park section of the safety. Good luck and keep us posted

5. Jdunn

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i

It’s 3qts of engine oil, right? I had my manual but can’t find it now.

6. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Sounds aboyt right, I know i is marked on my dipstick. Rather than measuring I just add 2.5 quarts, start it up, let it run for a few minutes, shut off anf use dipstick reading to fill it up. After running it a couple times while getting dipstick readings, the oil is warm and ready for a fill to top it off. This allows the filter etc to get filled for the final fill.