1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Decisions Decisions.....

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Ryan88, Jun 25, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Ryan88

Ryan88 Ryan SXS Nation Rookie

Good morning, I am new to forums or posting anything on here for that matter. But I've come to my wits end and would really love some feedback from folks that have more experience with side by sides then I do. I've been riding 4 wheelers ever since I can remember but now I need to get something more in tuned for my family of 4. We are debating between the Yamaha Wolverine X4 or getting the Polaris ranger 1000 XP crew with the premium kit. My wife loves the ride and roominess of the Polaris, however I'm concerned about its ability to climb hills, go through mud holes, and sustain a long day of trail riding without getting hung up. I was very impressed with its turning radius, it rivaled the Wolverine x4, but not sure if that would be a better toy for us. Keep in mind the majority of the time this will be used as a glorified golf cart around our community and we will take it trail riding perhaps 5 or 6 times a year through the Appalachian/Smokey mountain trails. Not sure which would be the best fit. We did struggle getting in-and-out of the Yamaha Wolverine and that was the only real hang up we disliked. Would love some feedback on this topic. Thanks!

2. RWB713

RWB713 Richard SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds Like a Polaris General 4 would be a pretty good option.... unless you just need room for 6...still get the comfort, but have more "sport" and capability in the machine as well

kscfire and Ryan88 like this.
  3. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Just did a quick search and the Ranger has more ground clearance by 2+ inches. The one thing I did see on the Wolverine was self leveling shocks and that's a real plus when loaded, not sure what the ranger has but know they have these in their lineup, it's a costly upgrade. Ranger is also rated with more cargo and towing capacity. keep in mind that Polaris out sales everyone by a lot so all the bitching you see on places like this are from shear numbers. Probably the most important aspect is a good dealer regardless of brand, sooner or later everyone has problems and dealer support is vital.

Ryan88 likes this.
  4. wgarcar1

wgarcar1 ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2018 polaris ranger 900 XP

Hi Ryan and welcome to the forum [emoji106]
    I need some more info because it would make sense to get a golf cart and rent a utv for 4 when you go riding 5-6 times per year.
    Info like: are you a big/small person, what is your budget, how you ride, hunting/fishing/wildlife/farming, fast/slow riding, mid/full size machine ?
    Usually these machines are the reason you get out of the house, go riding and enjoy the outdoors, not the main ride to the clubhouse.
    Sorry if I'm too intrusive, I just want to understand better so I can direct you better, best case scenario you fall in love with the Polaris so much that you make a reason to go out riding every week (it happened to most of us).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ryan88 likes this.
  5. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

The other thing to consder is are you going to be doing any work on the machine yourself? Polaris is by far easier to work on than the others from everything I have heard and seen. Ask can the owner change a belt in the field or get in to the engine area to change oil and filter?

6. Ryan88

There's a lot of great questions and feedback, you can get to the engine to change the oil on the Wolverine through pull in a few plugs. I'm not a humongous guy only 6' and around 235 pounds but I have very wide shoulders. I am hoping that having a machine like this would help my family get out to the mountain trails a lot more and do more exploring. You made a very good point about getting a golf cart and renting a utv. I am at that point in my life where I refuse to buy a golf cart, I just think they're silly. For what my neighbor paid for his really nice jacked up golf cart Utv's are only about $3000 more. I want to keep my budget below 17000 preferably around 15000 if at all possible. That is the reason I didn't look at the 4 seat general. You aren't being intrusive at all. I asked for opinions. My local dealer has a 2018 Yamaha Wolverine X4. It very responsive it's a much shorter wheelbase and has a lot of great features to it, it is just difficult to get in-and-out of and you have to use the tilt steering all the way up so you don't hit your knee on the steering column when trying to get into the driver seat. My wife enjoyed how easy it is to get in-and-out of the Polaris, I'm just concerned about Hill climbing in the Polaris because of its long wheelbase. I'm concerned about a getting hung up at the top of a Hill.

7. wgarcar1

Side X Side(s):

17000 with or without the accessories/trailer? (Did you try to fit in a midsize crew?)
    You can always raise the clearance with 2.5" MMA lift and bigger wheels/tires and aluminum skid plates.
    We have a lot of members with crews that go to Hatfields and mccoys every chance they get (more than once a year), maybe they can come up to answer more questions. (Search Hatfields and mccoys on the top left search box)
    900 Xp has plenty of power to get you up the hill. (I'm trying to work with this budget)

Ryan88 likes this.
  8. wgarcar1

Side X Side(s):

Remember MUST haves like 4500lbs, aluminium roof from Marty at whomoto.com, front tow points, beers and more.

Ryan88 likes this.
  9. Ryan88

My wife liked the 900 a lot! But by the time I have to lift it and put on larger tires I am at the Same price as the 1000 xp crew. I don't have a trailer yet, may just rent trailer as needed. How do the crew do on some tight trails? What's a midsize crew?

10. wgarcar1

Side X Side(s):

Oops, I'm sorry I thought that they make 900 midsize for four people, they make the 570 that way, not that this engine is full of a lot of power and torque (I had one, believe me, tons of power), 60" wide vs 62/3" on the full size.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  11. Ryan88

I hear you! I wish there was a midsize 900! I was concerned that the 570 wouldn't have nearly enough power.

12. wgarcar1

Side X Side(s):

I towed a full size crew with a family of 4 in it for 7 miles in 1/2 ft. Of water/mud with my 2016 570 xp 3 seater.
    I understand the need for more power, you also have to know that sometimes more power and speed can work against you in some situations out there.
    Today I own a 2018 900 XP because of an extremely good deal and the ability to transfer the accessories from the 570 and because I ride slower than most because of back issues, I think I went overboard.

Ryan88 likes this.
  13. Ryan88

14. wgarcar1

Side X Side(s):

Go with your gut instinct and get the 1000, the accessories can be added on later, just get a 4500lbs winch for starters and enjoy life YOUR WAY.

Ryan88 likes this.
  15. kscfire

kscfire Paul Event Coordinator

Side X Side(s):

2017 Polaris General Ride Command Edition

Welcome to the Nation, Ryan. Do a search on ATVTrader.com, lots of new and used deals on there by dealers and individuals. Here's a couple of adds for General 4's from North Carolina. 2017 Polaris General 4 1000 Eps Silver Pearl For Sale in Rockingham, NC - ATV Trader & 2017 Polaris General 4 1000 Eps Silver Pearl For Sale in Gastonia, NC - ATV Trader. I was able to get my General as a trade-in at a big savings over a new one and it was only 4 months old. Some people decide to go a different route and trade them back for something else. I'm biased, but a General 4 would be an excellent choice. Good luck with your choice.

Ryan88 and RWB713 like this.
  16. Ryan88

How's the turning radius of the General? The 1000 Ranger was around 14'

17. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

Same wheelbase & width, should be pretty close, I'd think the general was slighty better if anything

Ryan88 likes this.
  18. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

You get an 18 hp bump in the general too..... thats never a bad thing :D

Ryan88 likes this.
  19. Ryan88

Right!! How does it do with mudding? Hill climbing? Etc

20. RWB713

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

Have to get a report from kscfire or seastacker on that lol... I don't own a General, but I keep looking for a reason to get one lol. I'm also allergic to mud :rolleyes:

Ryan88 likes this.