1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Defender Opinions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CIAMissionary1, Mar 30, 2018.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

1. CIAMissionary1

CIAMissionary1 Richard SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2016 Yamaha Viking 3 seater.

I'm most likely going to have to buy a school bus (6 seater) How does the defender do on long rides? And what are lovable and down right "deal breakers" with the defender? Thanks in advance!

2. Curt

Curt Administrator

They seem like really good machines. I don’t have any experience with them but I’m told they do a good job on the trails.

3. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken Nevada SXS Nation Rookie

I just purchased a 2019 Defender XT, single row of seats not the double row (school bus) But I have ridden and hunted out of the double row units and it did well, but IMHO, on the longer machine, you will probably want a lift and bigger wheels. We went everywhere we needed to, but did drag occasionally, and I have already dragged on my single row HD8 but slid over over into some rocks going down a steep hill, due to sliding in the mud. No problem or deal breaker for me, but I may add a lift and bigger tires later, but probably not until I have worn out the tires I have now. And that may take a long time for me, based on my probable use patterns.

Seastacker and Rockin Ronnie like this.
  4. Ken

Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2013 Ranger XP 900 Sunset Red LE. 2009 Ranger 700 XP Sunset Red

I looked at the Can Am Defender Crew before I bought my General 4. My neighbor traded off his Honda Pioneer for a new Defender and I got to work on it putting some lights on it. A very nice and well built machine. Pretty easy to service, but not as good as my old Ranger 900 XP . Nice ride, but not the get up and go over my old high hour ranger but I really liked the machine and considered buying one. But a ride in out 0ver 100 degree Arizona weather the heat coming from the engine radiator up front nearly baked me out of the cab after short 2 mile ride. That was the dealer breaker for me. The front dash area is very open to let all that heat in to operator area. That being said it has many strong points to consider.