1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Desert Riding - 2 seater versus 4+ seater

Discussion in 'Southwest Region Riding Area Information' started by PNGento, Aug 25, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. PNGento

PNGento Rob SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris RZR 800 Trail

We pretty much ride exclusively in the desert west of Phoenix. Our current ride is a 2013 Polaris RZR 800 trail. As far as SXSs go, it is pretty small (short and narrow). We are thinking of getting a 4+ seater, so other than probably having to get a trailer to haul it (the RZR fits nicely in the bed of our Ford dually), how does the much longer (and wider) wheelbase lend itself to riding. My little RZR actually did very well going over Tank Pass (near Salome), but wondering how a longer wheelbase would have done? Surely the wider stance would generally be a benefit when crawling down big boulders, but would the longer wheelbase be more likely to hang up on drops?

I'm guessing it is like most things, a trade off and just one of those things that simply requires different skills, but if there is something more insidious that perhaps I'm overlooking, I'd love to hear. I mean, looking at something like the Yamaha Wolverine X4 (82" wheelbase) versus the Yamaha Viking VI (115") is like comparing a normal car to a limo.

2. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

Be prepared to build up some of the cilmbs when getting out of washes and such. I have had to pile rocks and logs in the ditch and use th winch to get out on ocassion.