1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Tags:
  1. TurboCumminsguy

TurboCumminsguy Jonathan SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2013 polaris rzr 900xp

Having problems when going from turf mode to 2wd or 4wd. The rear end pops real bad when turning. Have rear end apart and nothing's broke. What to look for next? Tia

2. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, 3 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All doomed for hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

@TurboCumminsguy Are you saying that the rear end acts as if it's jumping in and out of diff lock?

If the rear end is apart, I'd look closely at the differential carrier assembly, maybe even disassemble it and look at all the gears/housing for cracks or damage. If it doesn't transfer power smoothly from one wheel to the other in "unlocked" mode, then the problem has to be either there, or an issue with your diff lock solenoid. The solenoids can get weak and fail to push the pin out far enough to fully disengage the diff, giving you your disengagement issues. They're kinda pricy new, I think I'd see if I could get one from a place like Powersportsnation used and see if it remedied your problem.

Unless, the popping your hearing is coming from a CV that's on it's last leg? I've heard alot of CVs that worked just fine yet gave out a heck of a clicking/knocking sound when turning hard.

Piston Honda likes this.
  3. TurboCumminsguy

Side X Side(s):

2013 polaris rzr 900xp

It acts like the spring is not push the fork back to the correct position for both tires to spin. I'll check it later today and get back to you. Thanks for the info

4. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, 3 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All doomed for hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

on one of our 800 rangers, I had a transmission rebuilt by the dealership about a year ago. I left it on the floor of my shop as a spare, installed it a couple weeks ago into my brothers ranger. The newly rebuilt trans worked great except it would not go into turf mode... Jacked up the rear end and removed the diff lock solenoid. Key on in turf mode the diff lock solenoid pushed the plunger out just like it should, and wasn't weak..... I manually pushed on the fork with a short screwdriver through the solenoid hole and the diff would disengage- remove it it engaged normally. tried a different solenoid, same result. Finally I pushed the fork in with the screwdriver again, and marked the screwdriver where it met the case. I compared that "measurement" against the diff lock solenoid with the plunger fully extended. The screwdriver was just over 1/4 inch longer than the solenoid. Meaning, the solenoid could not push out far enough to completely disengage the diff. I don't know if it's because something was installed incorrectly, or if the fork in the case is just bent? Regardless, I took a junk solenoid I had, fully extended the plunger and welded 1/4 of material onto the end, and then welded the plunger in the fully extended position. ( I don't like diff lock anyway). Has worked like dream ever since!

This may or may not be what's going on with yours, but it would be worth getting some measurements and see what's going on. Or, manually pushing on the fork to see if the transmission CAN even disengage at all.

Jungleman and Piston Honda like this.
  5. TurboCumminsguy

Side X Side(s):

2013 polaris rzr 900xp

The solenoid extends to make turf mode work?

6. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

At least that's the way it is on the rangers! I don't have a lot of reason to believe that it's different on the rzrs. Remove the solenoid, plug it back into the harness, have a helper run the turf mode switch with key on and watch what the solenoid does

Ken and Jungleman like this.