1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

differential help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bottomrocker1166, Mar 5, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Bottomrocker1166

Bottomrocker1166 Derek SXS Nation Rookie

I have a 2102 commander 800 xt, only 1 wheel pulls in front or rear leaving me stuck most of the time. Any help? Thanks

2. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Does your machine have both front and rear diff lock? or rear only?

Not familiar with the Commanders too much, but would like to try to help. What's it got for diff lock switches?

3. Curt

Curt Administrator

Its a common issue for Can Ams on the Visco lock front diff, but on the rear its safe to say you've broken something.

4. Bottomrocker1166

Bottomrocker1166 Derek SXS Nation Rookie

It doesn't have diff lock switches, I just bought it and last weekend was 1 st time to ride it. Shouldn't both rear wheels pull all of the time without diff lock

5. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

if no diff lock switches, then I'd assume that machine is setup with full time locking rear diff. could be axle trouble or broken CV shaft?

I'd jack up the rear and turn one of the wheels to see if the other turns with it and see what you find out

Jrgunn5150 likes this.
  6. Jrgunn5150

Jrgunn5150 J.R. SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

RZR XPT

Maybe pull the diff plug and check for chunks.

7. Davisc8210

Davisc8210 Chris SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2014 can am commander

Common problem in the front is the visco lock it has a set of clutches in it and will melt together and cause only one tire to pull in the front. Only fix is to replace with something like super atv makes or do a halo locker. Also both rear tires should spin at the same time.

DieselFume likes this.
  8. alloutdoors

alloutdoors Team SXS Nation

If you just purchased this last week and first adventure, then I would first attempt to have a conversation with the former owner...... It is Christmas Day, so may be he would be in the giving mood and give you your money back