1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

DIY Spare Tire Carrier

Discussion in 'Tires & Wheels' started by RWB713, Mar 6, 2020.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. RWB713

RWB713 Richard Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

I've never been one to carry a spare tire on my rzr, never wanted the extra weight, bulk, & inconvenience for something that I didn't realistically need since I'm normally only a couple miles form my house or my trailer when I ride, but I ended up with a couple extra tires sitting around recently and decide I might as well put them to use in some way. Since I got married, I've found my family and I taking some solo adventures once in a while, or going on some group rides with the local dealership, and I figured for those situations, I wouldn't mind having a spare tire with us just in case...to save the wife a hike or myself feel like crap from making her deal with such a situation should it ever occur. So I decide to fab up a spare tire mount for the rzr, and one for the trailer as well ( I'll have to get some pics of that one later, not much special about it tho ).

Now since I didn't want to carry it all the time, I wanted one that would be easily removable, still allow easy access to the cooler and tool box, and not be on the roof..so I came up with a design that would use the rear cage mount point for some semi-permanent brackets that would stay on the machine all the time, then build a tube style mount that would set in those brackets and swing open for cooler access, and I wanted the tire to set on top of the cooler. This mount also needed to be able to fit a 34" tire, and clear everything on my cage when it swung open, so I had some thinking and visualizing to do to get it all together and work how I wanted it to.

This is kind of niche DIY project since my desires had quite a few specifics I wanted met, but I wanted to post it up anyway in case someone could feed off the idea or design.

I drew up some brackets in CAD and had them laser cut from 10 ga plate and them bent them in my brake for the cage brackets, it was tricky to get them to line up, but I was able to make it work how I wanted, I'm using a 1/2" quick release pin on the driver side, and a 1/2" flange bolt on the passenger side, mounted through 1-1/4" sleeve poly bushings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then bent a piece (well two.... measure once bend twice) of 1-1/4" tubing for the main tube of the mounting bar, and added a tire mounting plate off another piece of tube vertically, added some gussets for a little extra strength, and used 12mm x 1.5 x 35mm bolts for the wheel stud points...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After all was said and done it ended up working exactly as planned. I had bought a gas shock to add for stability, but didn't have enough time to get it mounted up, I doubt I'll go back and add it either since it really isn't that bad to swing the tire open without it, and it holds itself open juts fine really.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I couldn't work around the whips back there, so you do have to pull the right whip to open the carrier, but pull the whip (on a q/r itself) pull the pin, open the mount, get a beverage, close the mount and put the pin in and the whip on and you're ready to go. The poly bushings keep it rattle free and it has basically no movement when in the closed position. Win!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cost total was about $125 with the gas shock that I didn't use, so it didn't break the bank for something I'm only going to use part time either. Simple and effective for the purpose. If I do go to 35's in the future, it will require a spacer on the mount plate to clear the tire, but that will be simple enough to add when the time comes.

MikeinPA likes this.
  2. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Damn! That looks awesome. I need to make something up. Since I got a welder recently that is possible, but I don't have those sort of metal working skills. Mine will probably be some angle iron atrocity. :eek::D

3. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

See if tou have a small machine shop in your area, I worked as a toolmaker for 50 yrs and frequently did what we called farmer jobs. Small little projects that folks came in off the street with would keep us busy in off times. I frequently stayed after work tinkering on little projects for people. Did a lot of bartering to get these done.

sootman67 likes this.