1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Do I lube a new needle bearing?

Discussion in 'Ranger Nation' started by FloridaAl, Nov 30, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. FloridaAl

FloridaAl Alec SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris Ranger 900XP; (2011 Browning Ranger 800EPS, SOLD; 2005 Ranger 500, SOLD.)

Replacing a gummed up / non-spinning needle bearing on the primary clutch of a 2013 Ranger 900 XP. The new bearing (from E Bay) looks to be completely dry. Does it need any type lube? I'm assuming I don't want hot grease slinging around and getting on the belt but running the new bearing with no lube seems unusual to me. This is my first time working on a primary, advice appreciated. Thanks.

2. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Dont know what the mfgr recomends, but needle bearings by design need very little lube. Most 2 stroke engines run needle bearings due to the 50 to 1 oil mix.

3. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

I usually apply a thin film of grease to the needle bearings before I reassemble. Anything more than that will sling out and get on your belt. Use a high quality Grease if you can without Moly

4. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

I use a skim coat of white lithium grease.

5. FloridaAl

FloridaAl Alec SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris Ranger 900XP; (2011 Browning Ranger 800EPS, SOLD; 2005 Ranger 500, SOLD.)

Thanks to all three of you. I added a skim coat of a non-moly grease (as DieselFume suggested) and just past the 5 hour mark. Everything seems fine. The shift lever certainly moves and engages easier. Clutch engagement is smoother than ever.
    I REALLY appreciate the advice. Thanks again to all.

DieselFume likes this.