1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Dominator 800 Loss of Power

Discussion in 'Odes Nation' started by bigpal, Jun 1, 2020.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. bigpal

bigpal Big SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2018 Dominator

Hello, first time poster here (long time lurker). I have a 2018 800 LT Zeus 4-door with about 40 hours on it. About six months ago I started experiencing a loss of power in any gear, at any throttle position. It seemed to coincide with some wiring I was doing, adding a small accessory, I can't recall which one. During this wiring, I may have unplugged one of the harnesses on the box on the driver side, I believe it's the ECP or some other computer/controller. After that, it hasn't run right since, but over the past six months it has grown worse. Now I can' go over 4900 RPM even downhill, even in neutral, and I can barely go up a small hill.

I've checked the fuel filter and taken apart the fuel pump. Both seemed fine. I found a ground that had paint and grinded it down to bare metal, no change. I'm thinking there may be another ground that is screwed to painted frame. Why they ground to a painted frame is beyond me, that's kind of elementary electrical stuff.

The engine is missing at idle. The engine doesn't sound bad at full throttle, but it's like i'm at 10% throttle when it's WOT. I don't think it's bands or the clutch, since RPMs aren't high at all. It doesn't seem to be lean, because my exhaust and other components don't seem to be too hot.

I'm interested to hear some ideas from you folks out there. I haven't messed with the ECU, but is there a way to reset that? I don't have a way of programming it myself. I've tried disconnecting power several times. All the fuses are checked as well. I've never had battery problems, and these problems still exist with all accessories turned off.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

2. bigpal

Side X Side(s):

2018 Dominator

Replying to my own thread here. So far I've replaced the fuel pump core ($15 on amazon) and I completely removed the computer in question (the one I thought I unplugged which seemed to mark the beginning of the problems) but the fuel pump replacement did nothing and the UTV ran the same with the computer completely disconnected and removed.

It's a fuel/air issue. At half throttle, it runs just okay, and when I go to WOT, it gets louder, but the RPMs and performance stay the same. It's like it's getting more air but not more fuel.

3. bigpal

Side X Side(s):

2018 Dominator

Yet another reply to my own thread. I sent the ECU off to get flashed, and had some performance changes done as well as the speed governor removed. It made no difference. (in terms of my problem)

I took the injectors out and cleaned them, I noticed upon removal they were very dirty. It seems the top seal isn't great and dirty can easily get into the injector area and cause problems. I hooked the injectors up to a 12v battery and cleaned them out with a heavy duty cleaner and the thing runs like it's new.

The performance mods to the ECU done by ATV wholesale were noticeable and I think it's worth the $100. The responsiveness in the throttle and slight performance increase helped me feel a lot better about the SXS in general, was kind of regretting buying an ODES, and also not going with the 1000.

FYI